Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Lifting IS 250 with a small floor jack

Old 01-07-14, 08:13 AM   #1
cxc511
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Lifting IS 250 with a small floor jack

I have a small 2 ton capacity floor jack that I use to change over snow tires/wheels and the like for all of my vehicles. The jack works well but is designed to only take up one corner of the vehcile at a time.

How are RWD IS owners lifting their vehicles for wheel change over, etc? Are there lift points to take up one corner of the car with a small floor jack? I reviwed the owners manaul on my girlfriend's RWD IS 250 several times and it seemed the only points were in the center of the car to take up the entire front or rear end. I don't have a jack that big and feel more confortable working with one corner of the car lifted at a time.

I was always afraid to take up one corner of the car with my floor jack - even with a hockey puck between the jack and the car. I felt like I was going to damage the uncarriage piece that covers the frame...

Any input is appreciated.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Last edited by cxc511; 01-07-14 at 12:50 PM..
cxc511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 08:25 AM   #2
minato
Pole Position
Trader Score: (1)

dboss04

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...-on-is250.html

post #3, JoeZ has a diagram

also a DIY
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-s...he-car-up.html
minato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 06:25 PM   #3
ChiLexus10
Rookie

All I know is I used the oem jack to change out a flat and my car
Fell off the jack twice onto the frame and rotor.
ChiLexus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 10:36 PM   #4
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxc511 View Post
I have a small 2 ton capacity floor jack that I use to change over snow tires/wheels and the like for all of my vehicles. The jack works well but is designed to only take up one corner of the vehcile at a time.

How are RWD IS owners lifting their vehicles for wheel change over, etc? Are there lift points to take up one corner of the car with a small floor jack? I reviwed the owners manaul on my girlfriend's RWD IS 250 several times and it seemed the only points were in the center of the car to take up the entire front or rear end. I don't have a jack that big and feel more confortable working with one corner of the car lifted at a time.

I was always afraid to take up one corner of the car with my floor jack - even with a hockey puck between the jack and the car. I felt like I was going to damage the uncarriage piece that covers the frame...

Any input is appreciated.
I bought this low profile AC Delco 1.5 ton floor jack from o'rileys auto parts. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0768&ppt=C0373
I use the jack points for rear at the differential and the front the center point listed in the owners manual. Here are a couple of pics, one up on 4 jack stands and one with the jack in the front and two jack stands.
Attached Images

BC BR coilovers 12/10, Megan upper control arms, Megan rear camber arms.
Wifes ride, 2014 RX350 Fsport

Last edited by jgr7; 01-08-14 at 10:19 PM..
jgr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 10:42 PM   #5
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Even with the low profile jack now that I am lowered I have to use another floor jack to lift up one side just to get the low jack under to the lift points. Its a pain but I always put jack stands under the car if it is off the ground.
Old 01-08-14, 04:02 PM   #6
todd4566
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiLexus10 View Post
All I know is I used the oem jack to change out a flat and my car
Fell off the jack twice onto the frame and rotor.
Yeah.. this is why I always installed subframe connectors on all my Mustangs (I've had 4).. so I could jack the car easily and feel confident it would never fall. I don't feel very confident jacking up my car at all right now.

**SOLD**2009 IS350 | F-Sport Spoiler | Hyper Silver Interior Trim |ISF Shift Knob | Joe-Z Intake | F Sport Rear Sway Bar
todd4566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-14, 09:29 PM   #7
Litcroco
Rookie

SaiDaKira

Sorry my question is a little off topic but I wanna ask what kinda jack stand do all of you use or does it matter? The stand that I used have a concave kinda tip and it bents the support position a little and made a crack on sides. So currently when ever I needed the car to be lifted, i would just lift it up and left the jack underneath the car without the stands.
Litcroco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-14, 10:24 PM   #8
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litcroco View Post
Sorry my question is a little off topic but I wanna ask what kinda jack stand do all of you use or does it matter? The stand that I used have a concave kinda tip and it bents the support position a little and made a crack on sides. So currently when ever I needed the car to be lifted, i would just lift it up and left the jack underneath the car without the stands.
Not sure of the brand, two different brands both 2 ton each. If I'm not lifting both ends I will put the stands under the car and just lower to touch the stands but leave the floor jack with the weight. The stands are for jack failure so I just let it touch them.
Old 01-09-14, 09:09 AM   #9
cxc511
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. I found the images with the lift points indicated for each corner, but they did not seem to work with my floor jack. I never bothered to pull out the jack from the trunk of the IS, but felt the lift points were perhaps designed specifically for that jack.

There is a local garage nearby that will switch over her wheels for $15, so while I prefer to do this type of thing myself, in this case it seemed easier to use the garage rather than risk damaging the car. Just curious if others had a similar experience.
Old 01-09-14, 02:38 PM   #11
cxc511
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sffd103 View Post
Thanks - I will have to look into that. I had to purchase a jack pad adapter in order to lift my BMW 328 coupe without cracking the jack points.

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES251251/
Old 01-09-14, 08:07 PM   #12
Litcroco
Rookie

SaiDaKira

Thanks for the suggestions guys but I think I'm just gonna make a adapter out of some hockey pucks instead. It's gonna be a good DIY to keep me busy ^ ^.
Litcroco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-14, 08:07 PM

Tags
2012, 250, car, center, club, floor, is250, is350, jack, lexus, lift, lifting, location, point, points, type