IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How do you stop a car mod bug/syndrome

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-14, 07:01 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Uber350
Self control is a very rare characteristic in our society. Guess how I quit smoking after 5 years, I quit. If you don't want to do something, you're not going to do it, if you do want to do something, JUST DO IT!
You clearly know it's not a good habit for you, if you genuinely want to quit a habit, here's the secret, QUIT!
This is how it's done.

I never nodded my car much. I just bought a few things to improve upon it and left it alone. It's been the same since a week after I bought it in 2011.
Old 01-06-14, 07:11 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Stop? Never stop

Originally Posted by stewb10
To each their own, but to some of us, modding is a lifestyle. Its not about attention, how it rides, or how it looks to you. Its about how we display ourselves through our cars.

I personally think of cars as a piece of art. The Ferrari F40. Just as much as it is a machine, it is a piece of art. Some people are museum goers, some people are painters. Some still, think that Picasso's look like chicken scratch.

My Lexus is my canvas. Feel sorry for me. I feel sorry for you.
I agree with Stew too. My car represents my passion for cars and what i love to do and create. It will never end
Old 01-06-14, 07:53 PM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm.. you don't..
Old 01-06-14, 11:49 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

For some people it never ends. Most of my friends in HS were into cars. Now I'm the only one still modding but I've cut down on that quiet a bit. My father in law's bro(almost 50) is never done modding his car. His got 85 El Camino with newer front end conversion, lambo doors, and air bag suspension LOL. I've never seen an asian guy with car like this. 15 years ago I thought indiglo guages, blue corner lights, and stickers were cool. But now I like stockish subtle modifications and power add-ons. These days I'm more interested in investing more than modding cars. There are many things I want to boost power but before I make any big purchase I think too much before I press on that checkout button
Old 01-07-14, 12:38 PM
06350F
Lead Lap

Best way is to get off the forums! Think about it,you get ideas,see other peoples cars,etc. then you want to have that or compete with the other guy about who can get into debt the fastest. Do you really need 4k wheels? Will they make the car any faster? It's all about priorities, I will admit the one thing my car "to me" needs are coilovers. I can keep a good ride quality and kill the wheel gap.
Old 01-07-14, 12:48 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

OP, you'll be fine. In all honesty, the mod bug does not last 24/7/365 year after year after year. Eventually, you'll buy all the available off the shelf parts, then spend tons of money on custom one-off parts and eventually you'll slow down. The secret is how to keep modding/interested/loving your car year after year.
Old 01-07-14, 01:49 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

I'm in the same consensus as the rest of the CL members in this thread . As long as your main priorities are established and you have some expendable cash, the car mods will keep coming.

I personally prefer to mod my car to keep it evolving with the times. Since it's a Lexus, the reliability tends to be near bulletproof so I find it more cost-effective to do little upgrades here and there instead of trading in the car for something new every 3 years like many people that like to lease their vehicles (unless it's a significant upgrade right out of the factory).
Old 01-07-14, 01:51 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BLAZE_TYLR
Think about it,you get ideas,see other peoples cars,etc. then you want to have that or compete with the other guy about who can get into debt the fastest. Do you really need 4k wheels?
I beg to differ... Yes I've done the whole custom twin turbo setup on my car, volk wheels, function form coilovers, vinyl wrapped it 5 different colors and so many more mods that I can't think of and everything was paid for cash! No debt here as far as mods go. I was lucky enough to start my side businesses and feed my car addiction through that.

As one of the members just said... You'll slow down after you've done everything available for the car. In my case I just hit a dead end as I don't know what else to do to my car performance wise lol
Old 01-07-14, 02:01 PM
Raybean
Pole Position

just imagine your wallet empty.
Old 01-07-14, 02:04 PM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Allan1
Get wife and kids, problem solved.

this. all my extra money goes to wife,kid, animal...then what little is leftover goes to the bucket
i cant stand driving a boring, ordinary car everyone in their mom drives and have it look the same

so i got the stock car for the wife and kid to ride around on and have my money pit i put money into from time to time ha

Last edited by OKSTANCE; 01-07-14 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-07-14, 02:19 PM
13IS250C
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just reached a point in my life where I wanted a new ride every 2 years and I didn't want to waste money that I would never get back. I do a few tricks to make my car different than anybody elses though. In fact, I have only seen one ISC with the F-Sport package in Memphis.

I modded my Z28 the whole 17 years I owned it. I was really lucky since it was a garage king and I didn't put a lot of miles on it that I really don't feel like I lost too much in the mods, it made it a hot seller. I did however lose a lot of anniversary/Christmas and Birthday presents when I sold it.
Old 01-07-14, 02:37 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stewb10
To each their own, but to some of us, modding is a lifestyle. Its not about attention, how it rides, or how it looks to you. Its about how we display ourselves through our cars.

I personally think of cars as a piece of art. The Ferrari F40. Just as much as it is a machine, it is a piece of art. Some people are museum goers, some people are painters. Some still, think that Picasso's look like chicken scratch.

My Lexus is my canvas. Feel sorry for me. I feel sorry for you.
I think this sums it up nicely. I also hate pulling up to the stop light and looking at the guy next to me in the EXACT same car, why not make something you use every day more like your own personality!
Old 01-07-14, 02:45 PM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't drink, smoke, party, etc. Never was into sports, so I look at car modification as my form of pastime. Some men golf, I modify cars. I'll never stop. If your spending money on your car and avoiding doing things that should be a priority (paying bills, your health, etc) watch out for that. You will have to really evaluate if the hobby has now become an addiction.

Last edited by SprtDesign; 01-07-14 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-07-14, 02:48 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just plain quit. I transferred over my coilovers, sway bars, and intake from my IS250 over to my IS350 a year and a half ago, while selling everything else, and stopped modding since.
Old 01-07-14, 03:27 PM
bruins678
Rookie

Haha OP, it's not like you're shooting heroin...if you still enjoy it and have some extra money after taking care of business/saving, then go for it. If you don't enjoy it anymore, then just stop...

Quick Reply: How do you stop a car mod bug/syndrome