IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 AWD with over 100k miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-13, 09:34 AM
JP250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250 AWD with over 100k miles

Hey guys, so my girlfriend's 2008 IS250 AWD just hit over 105k miles a few days ago (mostly highway miles). She is the original owner. The car has had no major problems at all. Only major repair was replacing the water pump at 70k miles just last year over the summer. The 2IS is such an incredible vehicle. Coming from driving BMWs, the IS250 is definitely is one of my favorite cars to drive.

Considering that the car is racking up so many miles, i want to do as much maintenance on the car so she can reach another 100k miles! Do you guys think this is possible? My dad's firend use to have an older LS400 and he put over 300k on that thing!

So a few things that need to be addressed with the car:
1. I do not think the spark plugs has ever been changed. I've heard the interval was every 60k, and then I heard it was every 100k. Doesn't matter now, but I am going to replace them ASAP when it gets warmer. How bad is it for the vehicle not to replace your spark plugs until now (100k miles)?
2. The coolant probably needs to be flushed. But the water pump was replaced just last summer. Assuming the dealer already flushed the coolant, i'm not sure if this procedure is necessary at this point. Would you have to flush the coolant in order to replace the water pump?
3. Recently, the car has felt kinda rough. I could feel a vibration throughout the car as if the road was slightly bumpy. The steering wheel would NOT vibrate at all which I assume the wheels are perfectly balanced. Can this be attributed to bad gas? My sister's 09 528xi experienced the same thing, but then went away after a she refilled it with gas. Would you guys recommend any fuel additives such as fuel system/fuel injector cleaner you get from autozone?
4. The car pulls to the right. The tires where replace due to a bald front right tire. So the car was taken to CarX where it got an alignment and wheel balancing. However the car still pulls to the right. I also noticed that the two brand new tires that were purchased were both swapped into the passenger side, while the two older tires were swapped to the driver side by CarX . Does that seem right to any of you guys? they claimed that you must replace all tires at one time since its an AWD so they arranged the wheels where it would not damage the AWD system. IMO, i think they made it worst. Wouldn't it be better to have the same treaded tires either in the front or the back instead of the same treaded tires on the passenger side or driver side?
5. I'm not sure when the last brake fluid was changed? How often do you guys change the brake fluid, and how bad is it if it hasn't been changed in a while.
6. how often should the diff. fluid be replaced for an AWD?

Every 5k miles I change the engine oil with Mobil synthetic. I've done the brakes myself last month as well as the air and cabin filter. Besides the things I mentioned above, what else needs to be addressed at 100k? I plan on doing the maintenance myself too. Thanks for the help guys
Old 12-26-13, 01:46 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JP250
Hey guys, so my girlfriend's 2008 IS250 AWD just hit over 105k miles a few days ago (mostly highway miles). She is the original owner. The car has had no major problems at all. Only major repair was replacing the water pump at 70k miles just last year over the summer. The 2IS is such an incredible vehicle. Coming from driving BMWs, the IS250 is definitely is one of my favorite cars to drive.

Considering that the car is racking up so many miles, i want to do as much maintenance on the car so she can reach another 100k miles! Do you guys think this is possible? My dad's firend use to have an older LS400 and he put over 300k on that thing!

So a few things that need to be addressed with the car:
1. I do not think the spark plugs has ever been changed. I've heard the interval was every 60k, and then I heard it was every 100k. Doesn't matter now, but I am going to replace them ASAP when it gets warmer. How bad is it for the vehicle not to replace your spark plugs until now (100k miles)?
2. The coolant probably needs to be flushed. But the water pump was replaced just last summer. Assuming the dealer already flushed the coolant, i'm not sure if this procedure is necessary at this point. Would you have to flush the coolant in order to replace the water pump?
3. Recently, the car has felt kinda rough. I could feel a vibration throughout the car as if the road was slightly bumpy. The steering wheel would NOT vibrate at all which I assume the wheels are perfectly balanced. Can this be attributed to bad gas? My sister's 09 528xi experienced the same thing, but then went away after a she refilled it with gas. Would you guys recommend any fuel additives such as fuel system/fuel injector cleaner you get from autozone?
4. The car pulls to the right. The tires where replace due to a bald front right tire. So the car was taken to CarX where it got an alignment and wheel balancing. However the car still pulls to the right. I also noticed that the two brand new tires that were purchased were both swapped into the passenger side, while the two older tires were swapped to the driver side by CarX . Does that seem right to any of you guys? they claimed that you must replace all tires at one time since its an AWD so they arranged the wheels where it would not damage the AWD system. IMO, i think they made it worst. Wouldn't it be better to have the same treaded tires either in the front or the back instead of the same treaded tires on the passenger side or driver side?
5. I'm not sure when the last brake fluid was changed? How often do you guys change the brake fluid, and how bad is it if it hasn't been changed in a while.

Every 5k miles I change the engine oil with Mobil synthetic. I've done the brakes myself last month as well as the air and cabin filter. Besides the things I mentioned above, what else needs to be addressed at 100k? I plan on doing the maintenance myself too. Thanks for the help guys
First, you should look on line for the factory recommended maintenance schedule--it's available on Lexus.com in the section for owners. For example, spark plugs are definitely recommend as a 60K item; I know because I just had this done.

3. Recently, the car has felt kinda rough. I could feel a vibration throughout the car as if the road was slightly bumpy.
It's hard to diagnose in a thread, but I'm wondering if you have had the carbon buildup customer service program performed. Before I had it done last year, I would occasionally have a rough idle at stop lights. That's what made me realize there was a problem.

I just had this too @ the 60K service--it's a 30K item--again, it would be listed in the factory service schedule.

https://consumer.xtime.com/xt/menu//...CK262572017031
Old 12-26-13, 02:08 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is about 108k miles, and I had to get the rear diff rebuilt because the seals were leaking. Front axle CV boot were also torn and that was replaced as well. That was about 2k worth of repairs.