IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Might be leaving the Lexus community :/

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-13, 08:42 PM
Nsteezyy
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Might be leaving the Lexus community :/

Hey fellas its been a few months after owning my IS350.
Its been a good ride, but I've been experiencing a lot of problems and I'm looking into getting a new (used) car.
It may or may not happen, If I could get the problems fixed... But in the meantime I need some suggestions for a different car. Budget is under 18k.
Hopefully I can get the problems fixed, I don't wanna leave my IS yet! Its too soon! Especially the friendly community!

Thanks fellas, will be looking into the suggestions!
Was looking into a Stage 3 Audi A4, BMW 3 series, or a G35.
Old 12-16-13, 09:22 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of problem are you experiencing?

If you are going with a used car, you would experience even more problems with a BMW or Audi.
Old 12-16-13, 09:29 PM
Nsteezyy
Driver

Originally Posted by smokyis350

If you are going with a used car, you would experience even more problems with a BMW or Audi.
The Audi I was looking into getting has a built motor, he basically replaced/upgraded everything.
Alternator died out, replaced it, and battery is still dying, my battery is brand new, got it tested 2 days ago, took it in ti get it diagnosed. Check VSC came on too, fixed it then it came back on. Navigation no longer works (Have to get the unit replaced, see thread posted earlier). Dash is melting (Chipping, cracking and super sticky). Thats about all...
Old 12-16-13, 09:46 PM
predacon47
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

^^ I agree with smokyis350, I came out of a 335i and into my Lexi. The maintenance was ridiculously expensive. Do your research when buying one, I had a steering rack problem where the steering wheel would lock up and I would have to bang the F*** out of the steering wheel before the car would start. Not to mention the oem battery costed me an arm and a leg to replace.

As for an Audi, my co worker bought a brand new S4 and he already had to bring back to the dealer cuz 4 sensors went out and a fuel leak. This a 2012 I'm talking about. And for everyone that's gonna ask, he didn't say what specific sensors so I don't know.

All in all it's up to you to decide. Test drive them and research research research before pulling the trigger.
Old 12-17-13, 03:56 AM
KaShiDC
Rookie

Smokey is correct. It is widely known that repair costs for German cars are extremely high. Lexus has the lowest cost of ownership down the road. I cannot speak to the Infinity since I did not research that, I have yet to see an Infinity that I really liked. The dash issue is unfortunate, that definitely concerns me with my IS. You don't mention the mileage of your car but 350's are always very highly rated.
Old 12-17-13, 04:31 AM
JdSwiper
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I' ve always wanted a white bmw myself but after doing research and talking to owners found that they are extremly needy automobiles. My friend who was a owner said every time he went in for a issue it slways seem to cost him a grand. Be careful, do your research, talk to owners, before purchasing. This is my first Lexus but i can tell you i am a lexus owner for life now. You should either think about up grading your lexus to a newer one or maybe infinity! Good Luck!
Old 12-17-13, 05:43 AM
Nsteezyy
Driver

Thanks guys! I was thinking about just getting another IS350 LOL. But I will do my research... Hopefully I will be able to fix my IS and keep it aha. Thanks again.

Update... I actually really want a 2006 Gs300 (3gs). And thats probably what im going to get, so i can switch over my coils

Last edited by Nsteezyy; 12-17-13 at 07:01 AM.
Old 12-17-13, 08:50 AM
DKIS350
Rookie

Research is your friend for sure! I came out of a 2011 VW CC because i had constant issues with it by 45k miles. After less than a year I traded it for the 350. One of my friends who is a BMW/VW tech told me not to go german unless i liked frequent visits to the dealer (he in fact wouldnt put his wife into a 3 series and bought her an IS instead!). I visited the dealer 6 times in the year i had if for electrical issues. Wish I had just gone to the IS and skipped the year in the VW.
Old 12-17-13, 09:30 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

If you plan to get another used car, I would strongly recommend a CPO one
Old 12-17-13, 10:17 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nsteezyy
The Audi I was looking into getting has a built motor, he basically replaced/upgraded everything.
Alternator died out, replaced it, and battery is still dying, my battery is brand new, got it tested 2 days ago, took it in ti get it diagnosed. Check VSC came on too, fixed it then it came back on. Navigation no longer works (Have to get the unit replaced, see thread posted earlier). Dash is melting (Chipping, cracking and super sticky). Thats about all...
Battery still dying has more to do with you not driving it long enough if the alternator is working. But your dash melting and cracking seems like the previous owner did not take care of the car.
Old 12-17-13, 12:16 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

You can get into an M35 at that price :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Infiniti-M-X-Sedan-4-Door-08-m-35-x-59-k-technology-pkg-navi-back-cam-xm-radio-heated-cooled-seats-/151186368802?forcerrptr=true&hash=item233368e922&item=151186368802&pt=US_Cars_Trucks#ht_26976wt_1133
Old 12-17-13, 01:31 PM
Nsteezyy
Driver

I drive my car pretty long, yesterday I was driving it and it suddenly died on the side of the road. Had to get towed home.
Old 12-17-13, 02:42 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

As much as I love the Audi look and performance, I have to echo what everyone else is saying. The guy my sister is seeing bought a newer Audi A4 sedan, and he had to have 3 of his ball joints replaced at the same time. Took the dealership all weekend to get it back to him too.
Old 12-17-13, 07:37 PM
is250fsprt
Pole Position

Hey OP what kind of problems are you having? I've been experiencing some problems on my 06 is350 as well. And was thinking about trading for another (new) used car. The problem I have are rattling dash, rattling headliner when on bumpy roads on the freeyway which drives me nuts more than anything. Automatic transmission shifting a bit rough. I have only 54k miles on my car and it was a CPO. I also get it service regularly at local Lexus dealership.
Old 12-17-13, 11:09 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Nsteezyy
agreed x3 with Smokey

if you are looking at used, i would definitely steer clear of BMW or Audi. if you say the car has a built motor already, thats even more reason to steer away. me personally i would never buy somebody elses "project", especially if the motor has been opened up in any way.

Quick Reply: Might be leaving the Lexus community :/