IS 220d Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-13, 03:14 PM
Bismarck
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS 220d Purchase

Hello All:

I have a few questions for you guys. I am moving to Germany in a couple months, and will be purchasing a car there. While I know I should be purchasing a BMW or Audi -- I have had two BMWs in the past 2 years, and both of them left me on the side of the road, and went to the shop a couple times a year. Although the BMW keeps a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel, I cannot afford the maintenance bills as I start my career. Its something to say about the BMW -- that even after over $4k in maintenance costs over the past 12 months -- I still love that car.

Anyways, one cannot purchase used G's in Germany as Infiniti just showed up there in 2011, and Acura --- lol. So if I want to get out from under the exorbitant maintenance costs many used German premium cars are plagued with -- I have to purchase a Lexus.

Good thing for me most Germans look down their noses at Lexuses (Lexi?) and a CPO IS 220d can be had for around 12,000 Euro. The question I have for you all is this;

1) What is the weight distribution of the 220d
2) I have heard that the diesel Lexuses (?) are not as reliable as their gas counterparts. Can anyone confirm this?
3) While my old G's were fun to drive, it was still like driving a refrigerator -- the cars were just appliances without a personality or "soul" so to speak. Is the IS the same way? Does it still make you smile when you get behind the wheel, or do you look at it as a good copy of a German car?
4) If the car, OEM does feel like one is driving a toaster, what suspension modifications can one make to the car to give it some personality?
5) How is under/over steer with this car?
6) What usually breaks and when?

I appreciate all the help in advance.

Edit;

For example;

http://www.autoscout24.de/Details.as...870&asrc=fa|sr

Last edited by Bismarck; 12-16-13 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-16-13, 05:31 PM
Bismarck
Driver School Candidate

This also applies for you IS 250 and 350 owners. I have many questions related to the chassis in general that are not specific to the diesel variant.
Old 12-16-13, 07:14 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Wouldn't the BMW be cheaper to maintain there? I think the 220d has higher torque but lower HP than the IS 250. I driven my brother's 328i and friend's 335i before getting the Lexus and I'm happy with the car. The handling mod to definitely get is the F-Sport sway bars.

The plural of Lexus would be Lexuses unless Lexus come out and said it's Latin (technically I don't think you can pluralize Lexus as it's more of a brand).
Old 12-17-13, 12:46 PM
Marcusvdw
Driver School Candidate

Hi from Belgium....

My previous car was a 1G1 220D (2007 model SPORT / VDIM / 18" / NAV / ML)
Was very happy with it the 1st year... (very good torque...confort...

then problems begin... EGR, TURBO, Gasket......
Don't expect a good MPG... ( 10-14 L/100km for me )

Now with my 2008 IS 250 .... A LOT MORE HAPPY MPG = (12 L/100 km ) but more more pleasure...

On freeway MPG can be low as 7 L/100 km (thing that I never achieve with the 220D )
Old 12-22-13, 01:42 PM
Bismarck
Driver School Candidate

So it seems I should look for an IS220d with a warranty only.

I would love to get an IS250, but they are in much shorter supply than the 220d. There are 31 220ds available in Germany right now with the features I want ... and 1 IS 250, and it is that effeminate blue color. :-/

Good think I have some time.

Shame that Lexus couldn't make diesel work reliably.
Old 12-23-13, 02:26 AM
Marcusvdw
Driver School Candidate

Yes WTF...

Just search on european forum about the 220D and you will see that fuel economy (and reliability) isn't the strongest point of this model...

Everything else is like the 250 (except the AT not available on it)
Old 12-23-13, 02:39 AM
ICU2
Pole Position

Isn't the Lexus diesel engine behind the rest of the german pack - thus why it was discontinued?
Old 12-23-13, 05:40 AM
DocFreud
Driver

Originally Posted by Marcusvdw
Yes WTF...

Just search on european forum about the 220D and you will see that fuel economy (and reliability) isn't the strongest point of this model...

Everything else is like the 250 (except the AT not available on it)
that can't be right:

look here:

http://www.spritmonitor.de/de/uebers...ml?powerunit=2

"verbrauch" is mpg in liter/100km.. most people drive the car under 8l/100km. that is okay.. better diesel cars like bmw oder VW get 5-6l/100km..

Bismarck: be prepared: the is 220D comes only with manual transmission
Old 12-23-13, 05:10 PM
detech
Driver School Candidate

I own an IS220d for over 2 years now...

Everybody keeps telling me that it isn't as reliable as the IS250 but I haven't had any problems with it so far. Mine has done 170.000 km's now.

Driving isn't as fun as it should be. An automatic trans would be more comfortable.
It is very neutral in the way it handles. When wet, it sometimes oversteers a bit, but that's only if you want it to oversteer due to the massive torque it spits out.

Stoch suspension felt firm when i first drove it, then I installed BC racing coilovers and now it is perfect! Once a year I HAVE to put my stoch suspension back on (for an anual check the coils are "illegal" here ) and then the stoch suspension feels very soft.
Al suspension parts for the IS250 fit on the IS220d.

I personally don't like the way the car drives, too much shifting and low power, but my previous car was a GTR with 400bhp so this thing in comparising is extremely slow
But on the other hand, it is very quiet for a diesel car, and very little road noise inside the car.
And its far better to drive on the highway than city driving wich I do most...
It also has alot of torque wich makes the car FEEL fast.

"Weak spots" are al diesel related, such as EGR valve, DPF,... but good maintenance will prevent future problems.

Fuel consumption with me is between 8 and 9.5 liters per 100km... but thats mainly city driving.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me!
Old 12-24-13, 12:19 PM
teekaytk
Driver School Candidate

just sold my IS220d at 123K miles. Only three problems in my 3 year ownership.
1. rear shock absorber was leaking. Got it replaced using second had part for around £70
2. one seal on the diesel injector leaked. The seal was just £5 but labour to change it was £280
3. mileage was never better than 33mpg (Imperial mpg)

no other problem and fantastic car to own.

I have now bought an IS250 auto at 131K miles and I think its overall better car than is220d. its very smooth and quite, possibly faster, but not as much torque is the turbo diesel . I am getting 33mpg average on the IS250 so I am quite happy.
Old 12-24-13, 01:44 PM
Bismarck
Driver School Candidate

Hey Everyone -

Thanks for all the replies.

I realise the 220d only comes with a manual transmission, which is fine. I refuse to purchase an Automatic. If Lexus had an SMG equivalent I would be okay with that -- but auto trans .... gtfo.

I am just quite concerned about the head gasket. I am pretty mechanically inclined and replacing the EGR every year, while a PITA isn't that bad of a gig. What I do not want is to purchase a car and then have the head gasket blow and I'm out 3.300€ replacing the entire engine, as a head rebuild isn't worth it IMO.

The real reason I am after a diesel is that diesel is about $1.75 cheaper per gallon than 102/103 is in Germany. So tanking the car up would be considerably less expensive. I am not too keen of the Fast and the Furious driving style, and would probably swap out the springs with the coiloverns mentioned above to get the ride feel that I want.

If I expend my search to all of Germany, I can get an IS 250 for about the same €€€ as an IS 220d, I'd just prefer the diesel due to cheaper gas prices. That being said, any savings I receive from diesel over gas would quickly disappear if I am replacing the EGR every year, or once every few years having to replace the turbo or entire engine.

For example;

http://www.autoscout24.de/Details.as...3&asrc=fa|s,sr

Its CPO too.

This is my dilemma. I realise that the diesels got really bad wraps on the various forums, but as I look at the 220d in Germany, it isn't uncommon to see these cars advertised as coming with a new engine. :-/

Last edited by Bismarck; 12-24-13 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-24-13, 02:32 PM
Bismarck
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Allan1
Dont buy one of the cheapest, the low price is there for a reason.
Good cars cost a lot more.
I disagree. One can, very often find great cars that are reduced in price due to an odd combination of features, missing a feature or two, odd color combinations, or someone who really just doesn't know the market.

One can purchase a Lexus in Germany much cheaper than one could in the United States. Why? Not because these cars are "worse" than their American counterparts -- but Germans, for the most part, really look down upon Japanese cars, especially "premium" Japanese cars. While Lexus has been in Europe a while, they still have yet to command more than 2-3% of the market ON A GOOD YEAR.

Infiniti just showed up on Germany in Q4 of 2011 and Acura has said they will never compete in Germany.

This car is in the middle of the price range in Germany and is neither high or low.

I am just picky about my features. Only 2 in Germany which meet my criteria.
Old 12-24-13, 03:20 PM
Bismarck
Driver School Candidate

I had lot of trouble to find my current car. It took me like 3+ months.
There are lot of company cars what are trashed, but those are poorly equipped so these didn't appeal to me anyway.
It took some time but I did find mint fully loaded diesel, had to pay the price also.
Thats fair. I can normally find exactly what I am searching for;

Required;

Leather
Heated Seats
Nav
Bluetooth
PDC
Manual Transmission

Would be nice to have:

Cooled Seats
Sunroof
Mark Levinson

That and the supply of IS's in Germany is materially larger than that of Belgium.
Old 12-24-13, 07:27 PM
Bismarck
Driver School Candidate

This was my "must have" list:

Diesel
Manual transmission
Full leather/heated/cooled
Navigation
Bluetooth
Backup camera
Rain sensor
Xenon lights
Park assist front and rear
Mark Levinson audio
One owner/full service history
Black or dark gray color
Under 150000km
No accidents

try finding something like that...
http://www.autoscout24.de/Details.as...403&asrc=st|sr
http://www.autoscout24.de/Details.as...508&asrc=fa|sr

Old 12-25-13, 08:09 PM
Bismarck
Driver School Candidate

So the biggest/most expensive repair with these cars is the head gasket, and it appears that Lexus Germany extended the warranty on the Kopfdichtung up to 180,000 kilometers or 8 years.

So although it is slower than the 250, it appears that the 220d is back in the ball game, and with diesel being about 0.50€ per Liter cheaper than premium -- it seems like the way to go. Its good to know that the 250 is out there too.