IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2008 IS350 stalled while idling and will not start

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-13, 01:20 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
are you referring to the TSB relating to the tightening of the fuel pressure sensor?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-threads.html
Possible, that's not quite the problem I had though I guess and also not 100% as to exactly which sensor is being replaced yet either. I'll report back when I find out though. I have them keeping all the parts/documents etc..
Old 12-24-13, 07:29 AM
rmd5062
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mentioned the wiring harness issue to my service advisor when I took my car in to have the VVT and front wiper arm recalls done. He said that he had heard of Lexus having issues of incorrect handling of the wiring harnesses during the warranty repair causing the issues you have described. He stated that because of this only master level technicians are now allowed to perform this work. I will pick up my car from the shop this morning and let you know how it performs. If one or both of you would be so kind, please tell me how long had your cars been out of the shop after the VVT repair work been done before they had the problem so I will have a time frame / mileage to gauge mine by? I drive a company truck during the day but use the car for off hours transportation and on the weekends with occasional 150 mile round trips to East Texas to see my parents / son / grandchildren. It is a 2007 with 101,000 miles.
Old 12-24-13, 08:04 AM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Hey guys, I have my car back. It turned out to be two fold. The fuel pressure sensor PART# 89458-30011 on the fuel rail (high pressure) was shorted out. This was caused by a couple wires being basically pulled loose from the car side of the pigtail. Not entirely sure this is something that is disconnected while the CAM GEAR recall is being performed, my service adviser is of course telling me it's not their fault as they don't disconnect that while doing the work. We'll see. I have an appointment with them next week, and the mechanic that did the repair work (a sheit ton of troubleshooting as there were no codes) provided me with a lot of backup to give them. The Lexus master tech he was working with over the phone told him he's never particularly ran into this issue before. He repaired the pigtail and replaced the sensor and met me in the middle on the labor.

I went about 2,000 miles after the recall before it did this.
Old 12-24-13, 08:35 AM
SH4DY
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

That sucks. I picked mine up after the cam recall service last week and noticed quite a few cut/broken wire loom ties. I think they broke all of the little plastic pieces that hold the engine bay covers down as well. They were definitely in a hurry...
I'll have to pull the engine cover again and check for any pinched/strained wires.
Old 12-24-13, 09:47 AM
vapid2323
Pole Position

Man, I am starting to get nervous about this recall, seems like its not worth it based on the issues I am seeing people come out with.
Old 12-30-13, 09:55 AM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

As I suspected, the Service Manager and Shop Foreman at Lexus of Chandler told me the issue I had was not related to the recall work and that the problem I had "wasn't possible" without blowing a fuse. Basically told me that my mechanic likely did not know what they were doing and that probably wasn't the problem and I should have brought the car to them. I basically told them I DIDN'T bring it back to them because I didn't trust them after cracking my harness clips and covers and then having this issue as well shortly after, and that I wanted a third party documentation of what had happened. They are replacing the broken/missing clips and covers and that's basically it. While this is kind of what I expected to hear from them, I will likely discontinue taking my car to them. Best case, even if it isn't related...they still left off covers and broke covers and clips and were obviously rushed. They didn't clean anything around the area the worked on or anything. I guess they assume people will never look under the covers anyway.
Old 12-30-13, 10:19 AM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Also, for reference: The first photo is what it looked like after trying to start it.

Second photo is what it looks like after trying to start it after disconnecting the battery.
Old 01-12-14, 04:14 PM
9relude8
Pole Position

Man I am having the same issue! Thought it was the battery first. Checked both the battery and alternator - both were fine. Just to be sure, replaced the battery and still does this but it appears to be only on cold starts. My car just died again and now it looks like I'm going to have to tow to the dealer....
Old 01-12-14, 04:45 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Another member with similar issues recently had their negative battery cable ground strip out of the chassis or something and so I wasn't fully grounded.
Old 01-13-14, 06:24 PM
9relude8
Pole Position

Towed my car to the dealer today. Told them about the possible fuel pressor sensor and fuel rail you mentioned. Wish me luck!
Old 01-15-14, 12:06 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Any update on your issues 9relude8?
Old 01-20-14, 10:09 AM
9relude8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kyoso23
Any update on your issues 9relude8?
Hi kyoso, my dealer is claiming this is related to my main ecu and suggesting replacing the unit which will be over $2000.00. They said somehow my ecu may have been shorted out but insisted that this is not related to the recall either. I'm not sure if I should try to insist in replacing the fuel pressure sensor to check if that may be the cause. I know you provided the part # for the fuel sensor but do you know the part number for the fuel rail as well?
Old 01-20-14, 10:20 AM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

save yourself some trouble and buy a damn scanner.. instead of replacing everything you think is wrong, asking people on the internet when they can't actually do anything but speculate/ pull knowledge from other users.. don't take it as if i'm discrediting any information you'll get from people on this site.. but for $100 you can buy a decent scanner and plug it into your vehicle yourself.. its very simple..

Last edited by SeanO; 01-20-14 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-20-14, 10:22 AM
9relude8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SeanO
save yourself some trouble and buy a damn scanner.. instead of replacing everything you think is wrong
The issue doesn't throw any codes otherwise this won't be such a big deal.
Old 02-01-14, 06:25 AM
9relude8
Pole Position

The dealer had the car for 3 weeks now... They replaced the ECU ($1000+) and is still having the issue. My SA even told me that Lexus corp. techs came down to see the car because the ECU typically doesn't go bad. I told them about the fuel pressure sensor but the tech doesn't seem to want to check that as he said that's not the cause. Hopefully, they will find out what the issue is soon... the 3is is not bad but its not a 350. I miss my car!

Quick Reply: 2008 IS350 stalled while idling and will not start