Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2014 IS makes me like my 09 even more

Old 12-14-13, 12:49 AM   #1
Uber350
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default 2014 IS makes me like my 09 even more

Did a recall today on my 09 is350. The loaner was a 2014 IS250 AWD. I've got to say, I couldn't wait to get back into my car. Sure I'm biased. But to be honest, when it comes to cars, I'm a minimalist. I don't like a busy interior, and the 2014 is BUSY. Plus the materials don't seem as high quality as my 09. Obviously the 100 less HP sucked as well, but that's a given.

As far as the looks of the 2014, I really like the rear quarter and rear end. But I really don't like the front end. It looks like it is trying way too hard. Too aggressive for my liking, looks like a toy.

A note about my first Lexus dealership experience. It was pretty good. I was expecting the worst and ended up pleasantly surprised. They topped off my gas, washed and detailed the car and didn't try to sell me anything. They noticed a little coolant residue, so they pressure checked the water pump and everything checked out with that.... Good experience overall.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Uber350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-13, 02:29 AM   #2
viprtwo
Driver
Trader Score: (15)

I use my storage compartment lots, and I hate how the new one doesn't slide and lift, it only lifts, which jacks my elbow into an awkward position to get my wallet and accessories out. Seats are much better IMO.

I like direction assistance, but dunno if I'd continue to subscribe.
Old 12-14-13, 03:03 AM   #3
IS350AWD
Driver

The 3IS interior is indeed very busy. The center dash is a big stairwell as opposed to a clean look.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-14-13 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: Let's move forward from previous issues. If you feel you cannot PM me.
IS350AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-13, 03:15 AM   #4
DarkIs250
Rookie

I agree also. 3IS was never an improvement, just another toyota don't improve moment.
DarkIs250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-13, 06:53 AM   #5
KaShiDC
Driver School Candidate

I began looking at the IS in July so I drove both the 2IS and 3IS. Price aside, I definitely noticed I was pushing myself to locate a 2IS while they were still available. I think the interior was a big part of that decision. This is my first Lexus and the interior just had that PLUSH Lexus feel that makes you go ohhhh when you get in. The new model is okay and I am sure it could grow on me, but I am hoping the next model will be out when I look for my next car and Lexus will go back to what made the IS special. Some have described the new interior as busy, I just felt it was cold.
KaShiDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-13, 07:54 AM   #6
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

I agree about the front end looking too styled. My Wife said she would never trade in her 2012 IS for the 3IS.
GoGiantsNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-13, 08:05 AM   #7
ICU2
Driver

I actually really like the 3IS! Both the interior and exterior, I was sceptical at first about the pictures online but when I saw it in real life it's really nice.

What I'm not so impressed about is the reuse of the same engine/transmission being carried over from the 2IS 250 to the 3IS 250. The IS350 carried over the engine but at least it has the 8 speed from the ISF now...

Is the 3IS simply a shell change?
ICU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-13, 08:33 AM   #8
Gville350
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (8)

If I was able, I'd take the seats and chassis of the IS350 F-sport 3IS and combine them with everything else from a '06-'08 2IS. Perfection in my eyes!
Old 12-14-13, 08:39 AM   #9
JEFFOS69
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICU2 View Post
I actually really like the 3IS! Both the interior and exterior, I was sceptical at first about the pictures online but when I saw it in real life it's really nice.

What I'm not so impressed about is the reuse of the same engine/transmission being carried over from the 2IS 250 to the 3IS 250. The IS350 carried over the engine but at least it has the 8 speed from the ISF now...

Is the 3IS simply a shell change?
Nope more changes than just the exterior - same engine though .
JEFFOS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-13, 09:44 AM   #10
nosurprise
Lexus Test Driver

One thing I really don't like is the steering wheel. The temperature control sucks too (looks cool), but I don't normally use it so I guess it doesn't matter. The F-Sport front grill actually looks good in person. The non F-Sport front of IS looks OK; can't say it's better or worst, just different from the current one -- the GS's front looks extremely bad in IRL (bad enough for me to say I'll never buy it). Overall the interior does look more busy with a lot of divisions and sections.

I do like the side mirror turn signal lights styling better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaShiDC View Post
Some have described the new interior as busy, I just felt it was cold.
I think the cold is from the "modern" or high tech look and lighting.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-14-13 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted post
nosurprise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-13, 12:59 PM   #11
iRock
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (10)

icekillah

Overall I like the car. I like my car better though I just can't get use to the back.
Old 12-14-13, 02:11 PM   #12
Micaiah

I just brought this thing home today.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

The side and rear of the car are not my cup of tea. I think it's because the rear reminds me of an Acura for some reason.

Not fond of the stupid voice command button, I kept hitting it and the person kept insisting that I say something. I found myself arguing with it. "Yeah, I need to know how to make you quit asking me! How do I do that? Huh? HUH??"

Can't stand the "mouse" clicky thingy, I kept trying to move it and kept skipping where I wanted to be and in trying to concentrate, I felt like I was driving as if I was texting.

Took me a while to figure how to lock the dang thing with the hidden button on the handle. I'm all touching the handle area everywhere with my finger. People were staring at me.

The little notification in the side mirror kept flashing "Car next to you! Car next to you!" and that annoyed me. Wonder what it looks like at night. Will it blind me?

The car rides too smooth. I guess I'm used to the FSport suspension.

But hey!! The seats are nice.

I miss my Micaiah.

I guess it's all preference.

F-Sport: wheels 19" | BBK | exhaust | sway bar kit | carbon fiber shift **** | mats | springs | shocks | intake

2003 IS300

2003 IS300 SportCross

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-14-13 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted post
Micaiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-13, 03:17 PM   #13
stlgrym3
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (2)

i always like latest and greatest, doesn't matter what everyone's saying, but, the 3IS' side and rear profiles really turn me off, especially on the side. too many lines and weird angles. our 2IS' timeless design looks more clean and aggressive.
stlgrym3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-13, 07:06 PM   #14
smokyis350
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (17)

It's really a hate or love it kind of design. And I really like the aggressiveness of the 3IS. I haven't test drive it yet but I've heard they handle very very good. Like VERY good.
Old 12-14-13, 10:14 PM   #15
604GSE21
Driver

i like the front and rear just not the side profile... i love the interior except the the dash doesn't flow to the door panel... and the trunk looks cheap inside... other than that and the power, i love it..
604GSE21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-13, 10:14 PM