IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cigarette Charger doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-11, 03:07 PM
skinfan2k
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cigarette Charger doesn't work

I am not sure what to do and if this is under warranty? i tried everything so far, the middle console still works. Should i call the dealer and how much should i expect to pay for it?
Old 05-24-11, 03:08 PM
intrinsic
Pole Position

did you check the fuse?
Old 05-24-11, 03:11 PM
skinfan2k
Rookie

how do i do that?
Old 05-24-11, 03:16 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

The fuse box for the cigarette lighter is down by the feet on the passenger side way up under in the right hand corner. Pop off the panel and it shows which fuse it is. They are mini-bus fuses, pretty sure its 10amp. You can get them at most any parts store for like $3 for a package of 5 or so. 99% sure it's a bad fuse.
Old 05-24-11, 03:31 PM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how old is your car? Just give the dealer a jingle and they would be more than happy to let you know if it's covered or not. I had mine fixed because it was doing the same thing...no charge.
Old 05-24-11, 03:44 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pnthrzrule
how old is your car? Just give the dealer a jingle and they would be more than happy to let you know if it's covered or not. I had mine fixed because it was doing the same thing...no charge.
You'd spend more money in gas driving to the dealer to fix it. Unless of course you can convince them to top-off your mostly empty tank for a $3 fix.
Old 05-24-11, 04:38 PM
skinfan2k
Rookie

my car is a 2009 IS. yeah true my dealer is about 25 miles away but i can get it done before kickball tmrw..
Old 05-24-11, 06:46 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's very likely the fuse - get out your owner's manual and flip back to the section on maintenance/DIY/service, etc. There's a map of the fuses (there are several fuseboxes) and a list of what each fuse is for. Look for the one that says cigarette lighter and check that fuse - it'll likely be blown.

Here are examples of blown car fuses: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_rHkzZmFpsi...h/DSCF4202.JPG

If the fuse is good, the U-shaped piece of metal inside will still be intact, not broken.

The cigarette lighter fuse gets blown frequently, especially if you accidentally drop a coin in there.

If the fuse is good, then it's a different issue, but luckily it'll be covered by warranty!
Old 05-24-11, 08:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

The wife had a bad charger for her Blackberry. It killed both sockets because I was dumb enough to try it in both of them, so I was changing fuses in a Key Biscayne Starbucks parking lot. Odds are very high it's a fuse. There are three spare fuses and a fuse puller in your fuse box under the hood on the right hand side, but you have to remove the driver's side engine cover to get to the box.

The box looks like this inside. The spare fuses are under the 10A in the pic. The fuse puller is identified in this pic.

If I recall correctly, there is no spare 10A. I tossed the BB charger and just stuffed a couple of fuses in the fuse box to get the power back so I could use my V1 to drive home to Atlanta. I replaced them later with the right value. Whatever you do, don't buy the cheap Chinese fuses that come in a kit for $15. They literally fall apart if you try to remove them, and they don't always remove the whole thing. Grabbing the remaining bits with needle nose pliers is a serious PITA because you're working upside down. I bought fuses from an online Lexus dealer - they were amazingly cheap - so now I'm ready for any common failure.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 05-24-11 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-24-11, 08:21 PM
pli
Lead Lap

i have the same issue with the cigarette lighter. my charger doesnt work but the light is still lit. does anyone else have this issue that the green light is still lit?
Old 05-24-11, 09:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by pli
i have the same issue with the cigarette lighter. my charger doesnt work but the light is still lit. does anyone else have this issue that the green light is still lit?
The light has nothing to do with power to the socket. They're completely separate circuits.
Old 05-24-11, 09:42 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

I thought it was a 15a fuse for the cigarette lighter?
Old 05-24-11, 09:54 PM
teddypainz
Driver School Candidate

I have the same issue.. i bought the car that way.. i removed the whole thing to make sure it was plugged in properly underneath and it was. I checked the fuse and it is perfectly fine.. and it does have the green light on. Does anyone know what else it could be?
Old 05-25-11, 05:21 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Yes, the fuse is in the wrong slot. It's easy to make the mistake and not have power to the cigarette lighter. The fuses go in the second and third slots, not the first and second. I had this same issue.

BTW, the light has NOTHING AT ALL to do with the lighter working or not working. It is powered by the same circuit for ALL the dash lights, so there's no way it could ever power the cigarette lighter because the dash lights have a dimmer and a lighter won't work on a dimmer circuit.
Old 05-25-11, 06:47 PM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

Default Adjust the tabs

Originally Posted by skinfan2k
I am not sure what to do and if this is under warranty? i tried everything so far, the middle console still works. Should i call the dealer and how much should i expect to pay for it?
Hey...I just looked up my service history and the reason my lighter didn't work was because the tabs were bent/worn. The note says they adjusted the tabs. You could try adjusting them on your own or see what the dealer says. Please post results!!!

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Cigarette Charger doesn't work