Possible water pump going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-13, 09:55 AM
kur1j
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible water pump going bad?

I'll try to make this short.

I have a 2008 IS 350 with 83k miles on it. Late last week I took it to the lexus dealership to have a bunch of recall work done. While it was in there they said I should have my water pump replaced as there was a lot of fluid leaking from the water pump.

Fast forward to today. I took it to a local mechanic to get an oil change and a second opinion on the water pump. I also asked them to take a look at the water pump. He said that he saw what Lexus was talking about and did not think it needs to be replaced. He stated that what he saw was it "bubbling up" (weeping) and drying out like like the way rust does and that is is completely normal on newer cars water pumps. He said the reason it does do this is to lubricate the front seals. He said that unless its leaking a lot e.g. im seeing something on the ground he wouldn't recommend replacing it and that it would be fine if I'm not hearing anything abnormal.

I have no seen any indication of a leaking water pump. No sounds, not over heating, nothing on the ground etc.

So at this point I don't know who/what to believe.

Obviously there is a leak but I don't know if its true on what this other mechanic is saying that it is actually "designed" to leak slightly to lubricate the front seals. Is there any validity to this or do I need to get a 3rd opinion?
Old 12-11-13, 11:42 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Ok, just to confirm...the actual leak is coming from the water pump and NOT the overflow bottle, correct? If coming from the water pump, yes...it needs to be replaced ASAP!

Honestly, the water pump on the 2IS model is the most common failure known on the boards here.
Old 12-11-13, 11:58 AM
aspeckt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I just replaced my water pump last month. My symptoms were:

- Heater not heating
- Hard rattle on start up (thought it was carbon build up issue but it was the blade in the pump rattling in place)
- and i always noticed liquid spots on the ground after i would move my car from a parking spot. found out it was coolant.

explained these symptoms to firestone and the immediately said it was my water pump. they checked it and said it could fail any moment with the amout of play in the blade. i had a big trip ahead of me, so rather than to risk it on the road i decided to fix it right then. took a chunk out of my wallet but hey now my heater works.

if you know its failing then might as well. otherwise it could blow randomly and your engine overheat.
Old 12-11-13, 12:18 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A water pump is never something you want going bad so with the information given, I would proceed with caution. I have never replaced my water pump BUT i know how much of a headache it is to have one going down. You can probably still drive the car normally but I would put some pennies off to the side to plan on doing it in the near future whether it goes bad OR just preventative maintenance.

How much did it cost you guys to replace the water pump from local shops? Because of the easy access to the water pump on the front of the block, it seems like an easy and straight forward job if you take your time. I plan on doing mine next summer just for peace of mind.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...96b43f803790b7
Old 12-11-13, 01:05 PM
kur1j
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gville350
Ok, just to confirm...the actual leak is coming from the water pump and NOT the overflow bottle, correct? If coming from the water pump, yes...it needs to be replaced ASAP!

Honestly, the water pump on the 2IS model is the most common failure known on the boards here.
I can only assume it is coming from the water pump. Both the Lexus dealership and this other mechanic stated they saw leaking. However Lexus indicated it was a "large" leak where as this mechanic kinda blew it off.

Originally Posted by aspeckt
So I just replaced my water pump last month. My symptoms were:

- Heater not heating
- Hard rattle on start up (thought it was carbon build up issue but it was the blade in the pump rattling in place)
- and i always noticed liquid spots on the ground after i would move my car from a parking spot. found out it was coolant.

explained these symptoms to firestone and the immediately said it was my water pump. they checked it and said it could fail any moment with the amout of play in the blade. i had a big trip ahead of me, so rather than to risk it on the road i decided to fix it right then. took a chunk out of my wallet but hey now my heater works.

if you know its failing then might as well. otherwise it could blow randomly and your engine overheat.
My car has not exhibited any of those symptoms. Heater works fine, not rattling, and nothing on the ground that I have been able to see.

From the sounds of it, the "designed leak" isn't accurate and I just need to get it replaced.
Old 12-11-13, 01:05 PM
aspeckt
Lead Lap

The labor was really what killed it. I think it was around $520, for a 250$ part because "there are a lot of parts that need to be taken out and put back. its a very intricate process."

given that I needed to travel the next day I was left with no choice. This was at 75k miles.
Old 12-11-13, 01:07 PM
Raybean
Pole Position

the water pump is covered under the Powertrain Warranty. if your out of warranty it will cost around $800ish at the dealer. independent shop will charge around $400ish with a aftermarket water pump. however this repair is not hard and can be done as a diy if you want to save on labor.
Old 12-11-13, 03:03 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

I notice some dried up pink coolant on the cover of the water pump. Is this a symptom of the pump going out soon?
Old 12-11-13, 03:41 PM
Gville350

Originally Posted by smokyis350
I notice some dried up pink coolant on the cover of the water pump. Is this a symptom of the pump going out soon?
It is a symptom of it leaking. Others have had the pump completely fail, meaning the bearing is shot and the water pump blades start touch things they shouldn't.
Old 12-11-13, 03:42 PM
predacon47
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I had almost all the common symptoms. I just replaced mine a week or so ago at 78k. The two big factors were the crusted pink fluid around the pump and a loud rattle from inside the pump. In my own opinion I would get it changed. I lucked out and got the homie hook up for the parts, thanks to him working at Lexus it saved me allot of money.$160 total for a new OE pump and OE belt. I took that to a local recommended shop for the install. All together it costed me $410 for parts and install. FYI some shops do not let you buy your own parts so do some calling/research beforehand.
Old 12-11-13, 04:36 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gville350
It is a symptom of it leaking. Others have had the pump completely fail, meaning the bearing is shot and the water pump blades start touch things they shouldn't.
You are like the new Kurtz. You are everywhere now.

Hopefully Lexus will fix it under the powertrain warranty.
Old 12-11-13, 05:46 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Whatever happened to the "old" Kurtz?
Old 12-11-13, 06:15 PM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default i would keep an eye on it, pink stuff in the area is a symptom.

i would keep an eye on it,
Originally Posted by smokyis350
Old 12-11-13, 06:24 PM
Gville350

He hasn't been around since mid-'13. Not really sure what's up...but I'm here to help everyone with my automotive background and knowledge. Constantly learning and reading is key.
Old 12-11-13, 07:01 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Yup, that's why I browse the clublexus forums every day! There's always something new to read about.

Quick Reply: Possible water pump going bad?