IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Headlights Out of Focus

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-13, 06:43 PM
titlenhand
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250 Headlights Out of Focus

My 2006 IS250 headlights (low beams) are both out of focus. The problem began after I attempted to swap out the stock (working) HID bulbs for a new set, of a higher Kelvin rating. Since I swapped them, the focus of the headlights is off and the light output is horrible. I have attached a photo. In this photo, on the driver's side (the focus is off and the lighting looks scattered), the passenger side headlight focus was ok in this photo (before I touched it).

After I had swapped both headlight bulbs and realized how horrible the light output was, I put the stock bulbs back in and realized that the light output was still screwed up. At this point, I assumed that the poor light output is a result of the headlights being out of focus (unless there is some other reason I am unaware of...).

The auto focus doesn't even correct the problem after turning the car off and on.

How can I correct this problem?

snagit

Last edited by titlenhand; 12-09-13 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-09-13, 07:20 PM
asuraIS250
Rookie

Might be the color hid bulb ur using, the further u stray away from yellow/white the less focus u'll usually have

Last edited by asuraIS250; 12-10-13 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-09-13, 07:30 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Uhhhhhhhhh. Headlights don't focus. They aren't like eyeballs... Lol

It's probably poor bulbs... That and you need to back up.... There is a certain distance you are supposed to be at when aiming your headlights and looking at the cutoff...

In the pic, your headlights looks purple ish in that pic.... If you know about the kelvin ratings- the higher the kelvin, the LESS usable light the bulb produces. I'd stick with stock, 5000k, or 6000k.

Ps- headlights only auto level (up/down)
Old 12-09-13, 09:17 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

The only way the focus can change on the headlights is if the bulb is not sitting in the headlight correctly. Make sure they are held in properly and are tight. If they aren't, or if the hold-down clip is bent the bulb may not be sitting correctly.

Jeff
Old 12-09-13, 09:25 PM
kennyD
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

1. Your driver side light looks like your bulb isn't sitting right. I've seen this happen in my friend's IS when he didn't sit the pin which holds the bulb in correctly and the bulb was crooked in the bowl. Needless to say, that bulb didn't last long. Check to make sure all is right.

2. You shouldn't have any "focus" problems. Because you cannot control the distance between the bulb and the lens.

3. You're like a foot and a half from the garage door, that will significantly concentrate (didn't want to say focus) the light into a small area. Try backing up, maybe 25 feet or so from a flat wall on a flat surface and see what it looks like.

I assume you say "auto focus" probably referring to AFS and Auto Leveling. AFS/Auto Level doesn't focus anything, I wish it did, that'd be cool. I couldn't even tell its working most of the time when I turn. But if by chance it was a halogen set up converted with a pnp hid kit, in addition to a new (perhaps not as quality.. ie GARAX, PHILLIPS, OSRAM..ETC..) bulb will produce a bad output. The halogen projectors are not really designed for HID output. Hell, the HID projectors on this car sucks as much.
Old 12-09-13, 10:33 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Look like driver side didn't seated correctly. Passenger side auto level was active (like bi-xenon HID - when you using highbean)
Old 12-09-13, 10:38 PM
titlenhand
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Jeff Lange and KennyD, you guys were spot on.

There were a couple of things wrong with my lighting... The scattered, out of focus light emitted from the headlights were a result of two things. One, the bulbs were not perfectly seated into the housing, and two, the hold clasp was not providing the support against the bulbs to keep them in place. After re-seating the bulbs and strategically re-bending the hold clasp, the bulbs were seated snugly into the housing without any play.

Once I realized the problem, I tested both the original OEM bulbs and the aftermarket 6000k bulbs for functionality and confirmed that the temperature of the bulbs was did not change the focus, or the pattern of the light emitted (when the bulbs are seated properly of course).

I was much too close to the garage door to properly adjust the aim height, but I initially just wanted to compare the difference in bulb colors against the garage door, but then I realized I had a lighting focus issue, so I took the pic...

Lastly, I adjusted the AFS position sensor down, to raise the aim height of my low beams and I now have a much better visibility without blinding oncoming motorists. I have a renewed enjoyment for night driving.

AFS position sensor adjustment shown here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...djustment.html

I was able to adjust the AFS position sensor w/o raising the car up (stock ride height). I just laid on my back, next to the car with a 10mm socket w/ extenstion... took 30 seconds.

Thanks for your help everyone.
Old 12-09-13, 10:39 PM
my1s250
Lead Lap

the return wire on the bulb has to be facing toward the rear