IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mark Levinson SUB replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-14, 02:21 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the 10" Pioneer shallow mount sub in my truck. Needed it to fit in a box I built to put behind the back seat, and it surprised me how low and clean it hits. I'm not familiar with the ML system in the IS (yet), just wanted to vouch for the Pioneer sub. I'm quite curious as to what the deal is with the insulation at the back window he mentioned as well. Wish OP would come back and enlighten us as to what exactly he is talking about. I'm pretty positive that a 8" sub isn't going to shatter the back window no matter how hard you push it, especially off a factory amplifier.
The following users liked this post:
Vitveet (05-02-21)
Old 02-24-14, 02:29 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey guys I just bought the subwoofer speaker and additional speaker foam. I will TRY to put diy but I ddon't even know how to do it so ill learn it first
Old 02-24-14, 02:52 PM
dannyboy26
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by metaleckz
Hey guys I just bought the subwoofer speaker and additional speaker foam. I will TRY to put diy but I ddon't even know how to do it so ill learn it first
Alright our brave soul up to the task...
Old 03-01-14, 03:48 PM
mitsuboost
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

totally doubt this will shatter windshield haven't experienced that ever. reviews or pics anyone!???

Last edited by mitsuboost; 03-01-14 at 05:27 PM. Reason: *
Old 03-09-14, 11:07 PM
metaleckz
Racer

okay guys so i installed it last night….
taking the seats out is pretty straight forward. just search
here is it

so its not plug and play!
I REPEAT NOT PLUG AND PLAY!
i broke my 100% perfect working condition mark levinson subs!
my fault i didnt know.. i tried opening it hoping to put the pioneer shallow subs there but no. did not work. lol!
here are some pics
< the ML SUBS
< opened in half
< other half
SO DONT OPEN IT. JUST LEAVE IT! LOL

so its gonna look like this

then drill holes to make it stay there

but i have problems
i bought the wrong speaker foam so it rattles like crazy it hits the frame
AND i couldnt drill the back speaker so im bringing it to a shop so they could finish it for me and add speaker foam!
but i tried playing songs with it and let me tell you this. its loud!! (even tho mine rattles but will get it fixed soon)
its not gonna shatter the rear glass !!
and you guys know when the volume is on 30 and up, the stock ml subs gets ugly, it distorts right?well on this speaker it doesnt so its good!
will get back when the shop fix it!
Old 03-10-14, 12:05 AM
dannyboy26
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

okay guys so i installed it last night…. taking the seats out is pretty straight forward. just search here is it so its not plug and play! I REPEAT NOT PLUG AND PLAY! i broke my 100% perfect working condition mark levinson subs! my fault i didnt know.. i tried opening it hoping to put the pioneer shallow subs there but no. did not work. lol! here are some pics < the ML SUBS < opened in half < other half SO DONT OPEN IT. JUST LEAVE IT! LOL so its gonna look like this then drill holes to make it stay there but i have problems i bought the wrong speaker foam so it rattles like crazy it hits the frame AND i couldnt drill the back speaker so im bringing it to a shop so they could finish it for me and add speaker foam! but i tried playing songs with it and let me tell you this. its loud!! (even tho mine rattles but will get it fixed soon) its not gonna shatter the rear glass !! and you guys know when the volume is on 30 and up, the stock ml subs gets ugly, it distorts right?well on this speaker it doesnt so its good! will get back when the shop fix it!
Throw some pics when they fix your speaker foam so we can all do the same, and props for the DIY man this is a big help for all of us that want this.
Old 03-10-14, 12:46 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Originally Posted by dannyboy26
Throw some pics when they fix your speaker foam so we can all do the same, and props for the DIY man this is a big help for all of us that want this.
i will. only took a few pics because it was late and i just wanted to finish it but guess not.
but i will take a lot of pictures when its all good
Old 03-10-14, 03:08 AM
freal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking forward to this mod. thanks for the DIY!!
Old 03-10-14, 09:38 AM
mitsuboost
Rookie

Thanks for the pics metaleckz! just a few questions...from your pics it looks like the sub mounts upside down. Were you able to utilize the wire harness as the connector to the spring terminals on the speaker? any soldering required? Do you think a piece of cardboard cut to circumference and diameter will work in place of the speaker foam to pad vibrations and rattling the frame? Good job btw
Old 03-10-14, 09:54 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Originally Posted by mitsuboost
Thanks for the pics metaleckz! just a few questions...from your pics it looks like the sub mounts upside down. Were you able to utilize the wire harness as the connector to the spring terminals on the speaker? any soldering required? Do you think a piece of cardboard cut to circumference and diameter will work in place of the speaker foam to pad vibrations and rattling the frame? Good job btw
Its gonna be upside down becausw the original subwoofer is upsidedown too and it wouldn't fit if I put it the otherway. Ill try to post pic of the place to show you. And about the wires. Youre gonna have to get a wire . I did it the ghetto way cuz im no wire expert. I dont even have experience but I took 2 speaker wires. Cut it open and connect the wires lol ill just take more pics when I have the time
Old 03-10-14, 12:30 PM
mitsuboost
Rookie

ok Thanks! Did anyone else try this that can chime in? Can someone provide a link for the correct speaker foam to complete this correctly?
Old 03-10-14, 03:11 PM
scorpionge
Lead Lap

nice!!! I would also be up for this.. the original ML sub cant handle so much power...
aint nobody got time for that!
Old 03-10-14, 03:27 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Its gonna be upside down
But if it's upside down, won't the sound come out upside down too??

becausw the original subwoofer is upsidedown too
Oh whew! The system must already compensate for this then.

OK. I'm kidding with the above comments. Seriously though where did OP go? After seeing where the ML sub is located, I wonder why he even mentioned that it would need padding to save the back window? To me it looks like it in behind the rear seatback? Or is it in the package tray and I'm just looking at the pictures without twisting my neck enough to see where it actually is at?

Either way if it really does end up working that's great.
Old 03-10-14, 05:21 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Okay! I just went to the shop and I askrd them to finish what I cant finish
So they said $100 including the dynamat . They are gonna Put dynamat because it rattles and maybe a good alternative to speaker foam?
Old 03-10-14, 07:52 PM
mitsuboost
Rookie

$h*t! this thing needs dynamt?!! ughhh........

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson SUB replacement DIY