IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

VERY rough start / Check VCS and Check Engine Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-13, 08:40 AM
jlb5685
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VERY rough start / Check VCS and Check Engine Lights

Took apart the navigation in my '07 IS250 this weekend and fixed the touchscreen using the DIY guide posted on this forum. So elated about it until I cranked the car and all went to hell.

Obviously it has nothing to do with the navigation but the car sat for a few days without being driven while we worked on it. When we got it all put back together and tried to crank it, it was studdering like crazy and almost stalled. Had to give it gas to keep it from stalling and when pushing the gas pedal it ran VERY rough. At the same time the check VCS, check engine, and hill assist light came on. I was very hesitant to drive it so I turned it back off and tried to crank it again this morning. It cranked with maybe a few seconds of studdering but no where near what it did yesterday. Once I got it out on the road and was driving, the studdering balanced out and it ran smooth however the lights are all still on.

I'm at 82k miles well out of the powertrain warranty. I'm freaking at how much this may cost me. I do need new spark plugs but I have a feeling this is going to be the carbon issue. I have noticed that it's burning more oil than it should be but not large amounts just a little more than what it should. I do have a long commute to and from work though.

How much did the dealerships charge for the carbon cleaning? I'm going to stop by Auto Zone on the way home and run the code to see what I get.
Old 12-02-13, 08:41 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

IS250s have a carbon build up TSB, check your dealer. Engine slugginess is a symptom of it.
Old 12-02-13, 09:06 AM
jlb5685
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I've printed it off and read it myself. Thing is, I'm out of the warranty period so I will have to pay everything out of pocket.

Will it damage anything to drive it when it may have carbon buildup until I can get it cleaned?
Old 12-02-13, 09:32 AM
Meguerra
Driver

The IS250 Carbon build up TSB is good for 9 yrs unlimited miles. The only catch is the dealer has to duplicate the symptoms while the car is at the dealers shop. Then everything is paid for no out of pocket.

Last edited by Meguerra; 12-02-13 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-02-13, 09:47 AM
Meguerra
Driver

Check these out.
Attached Thumbnails VERY rough start / Check VCS and Check Engine Lights-is-250-tsb.jpg  
Attached Files
Old 12-02-13, 10:03 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jlb5685
Yeah I've printed it off and read it myself. Thing is, I'm out of the warranty period so I will have to pay everything out of pocket.

Will it damage anything to drive it when it may have carbon buildup until I can get it cleaned?
Lexus will take care of it for that specific condition even if you are out of warranty
Old 12-02-13, 11:53 AM
jlb5685
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for that!

I'm taking it in to Nalley Lexus in a few hours and letting them know about it. Luckily the check engine and other lights are still on so hopefully the code(s) will still be there.

So glad Lexus decided to do this since it's such a common problem in the 250s. Hopefully mine gets approved.
Old 12-05-13, 01:56 PM
jlb5685
Driver School Candidate

So I brought my '07 IS in to Nalley Lexus in Georgia yesterday to get this repair done with the letter. It threw a misfire code on Monday and the code was still there when I brought it in. My SA immediately knew that it was the carbon and I saw about a dozen other IS models like mine there for same thing. BUT - I just got a call from her saying that even though, yes my car did show misfire codes and had all the same exact symptoms for this repair / rebuild, "Lexus" has revised this CSP and that they are now requiring an air induction service (carbon cleaning service) and the spark plugs to be changed first and then if another misfire presents then they will go ahead with the work. I knew I needed the plugs and was expecting to pay for that (although it's $465) but $240 for them to clean the carbon when that is the REASON I brought the car in for the repair in the first place??? I don't know enough to know why the flawed design of the injectors causing the carbon to build up faster on the 250s affects the pistons but someone please fill me in on how the carbon affects the car to where I would need the piston repair so I can use that to fight this charge. I love this dealership and my SA is awesome but I don't feel I should have to pay for this. If they "require" it before they will do the repair then they should cover the carbon cleaning. Am I right??

I called the Lexus corporate number and discussed the same thing with them. I've read and read the sticky related to this CSP and the other carbon buildup forums and saw no where that any other dealership "required" this cleaning to be done before they made the repair. I think it's just BS to get more money out of me. When I asked if I would be reimbursed for it WHEN the car misfires again she said no that it's a recommended service every 30k miles anyway.

I didn't want to have to spend $700 to get this freaking rebuild done when there are so many on here who didn't have to!
Old 12-05-13, 02:00 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

try another dealer?
Old 12-06-13, 02:20 AM
bjwitten
Driver School Candidate

My 06 is350 did to me 2 hrs after I bought it towed it to lexus 3 days fixed free of charge do to recall vvti controller bolts bein loose and causing it to fault out gives u check vsc and the stability control symbol came on mine has 82k on it to mines a is350 tho just tryen to help dont kno if 250 are alike in some ways
Old 12-06-13, 06:59 AM
jlb5685
Driver School Candidate

Still waiting on Lexus corporate to get back with me. Anyone who has had this rebuild done can you please comment and let me know if you had to pay out of pocket for anything above the rebuild or if your dealership "required" you to do things like this first??

I see no reason that corporate shouldn't call me back and say they will go ahead with the rebuild. They shouldn't offer this to some owners hassle-free with no out of pocket costs and then offer something different to others with great hassle.
Old 12-06-13, 07:29 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bjwitten
My 06 is350 did to me 2 hrs after I bought it towed it to lexus 3 days fixed free of charge do to recall vvti controller bolts bein loose and causing it to fault out gives u check vsc and the stability control symbol came on mine has 82k on it to mines a is350 tho just tryen to help dont kno if 250 are alike in some ways
Completely different issue bro...
Old 12-06-13, 07:32 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jlb5685
Still waiting on Lexus corporate to get back with me. Anyone who has had this rebuild done can you please comment and let me know if you had to pay out of pocket for anything above the rebuild or if your dealership "required" you to do things like this first??

I see no reason that corporate shouldn't call me back and say they will go ahead with the rebuild. They shouldn't offer this to some owners hassle-free with no out of pocket costs and then offer something different to others with great hassle.
Not trying to defend the dealership or take the other side, but I think they are trying to say you have to properly maintain your vehicle first...and then if the issue persists then the CSP will go into affect. Does that make sense?
Old 12-06-13, 08:11 AM
jlb5685
Driver School Candidate

I do properly maintain my vehicle. As did many others who still had the same intermittent stalling / skipping and running rough problem. But yet they are expecting me to pay almost $700 and then have the carbon build up yet again for it to misfire yet again who knows how many months down the road. And then they will go ahead with the CSP. I just think that's crap. At that time, they will still yet again have to clean the carbon out during the rebuild as many others have said their dealerships did during the rebuild. If they had said they would reimburse me for the carbon cleaning or give me a credit on my next service for that when I present another misfire then that's different but essentially I will just be out the $240 and then still have the same problem.
Old 12-06-13, 10:32 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had my top engine flush done at the dealer at 69K and my buddy who is a mechanic there changed my spark plugs I bought from Sewell Lexus at our CL discount.i also brought in my own Mobil 1 synthetic oil. Total cost....FREE!! They shouldn't be charging you all this money if it requires just about the same work.

Quick Reply: VERY rough start / Check VCS and Check Engine Lights