IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Audio System Volume Settings - Update Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-13, 07:53 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audio System Volume Settings - Update Possible?

Thought there was a thread on this already, but can’t seem to find same.

When changing from audio source to source (i.e.: AM/FM to SAT to CD to USB, etc.), our vehicles ‘remember’ the volume setting at each source, such that if you set AM/FM volume to 40, change to SAT, adjust the volume to 30 and go back to AM/FM, AM/FM will be at 40.

This is unlike every vehicle I have ever had and not a good design because if you are listening to the radio loudly, change the source, adjust the volume as desired (say you’re not listening to talk radio or other audio at a low volume), time goes by (whether on the same drive or after having exited the car and gotten back into it) and go back to the source you were listening to loudly, the speakers will blare at the high volume, presenting a shock to your ears, instead of having a smooth transition from source to source.

As you may see from my other recent posts, I’ve contacted Lexus and I’m disappointed in their response; they’ve confirmed this is the way our vehicles are designed, but that it will take the complaints of others to make a change. When I said I am raising this as a concern to benefit all, rep stated he understood my complaint, he too has a 3IS, but he believes same hasn't bothered him as he only uses Pandora!? What kind of nonsense response is that!? This is something that can be easily fixed by a software update, and our vehicles should at least give us the option to have a fixed audio volume across all sources or individual audio volumes at each.

So, EVERYONE, PLEASE notify Lexus of concerns over not having a fixed audio volume across all sources. You can either call them at: 800-25-LEXUS (53987) or e-mail them here: http://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/ask. Thank you.

Last edited by dbs600; 11-22-13 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-22-13, 08:05 AM
abcsoup
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a poor design decision that could be easily fixed via software. I think the best alternative is what is often offered in home theater receivers, where you can set a +/- dB volume offset that's saved for each of your sources, while the main volume control is still active across all sources. That way, you could self-adjust the volume levels for each source (quieter AM/FM would get a big + dB boost, USB/BT would be kept standard, etc.).

Luckily for me, the volume switching hasn't really bugged me thus far, since I listen almost exclusively via BT, but I can definitely see where you're coming from.
Old 11-22-13, 08:15 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by abcsoup
It is a poor design decision that could be easily fixed via software. I think the best alternative is what is often offered in home theater receivers, where you can set a +/- dB volume offset that's saved for each of your sources, while the main volume control is still active across all sources. That way, you could self-adjust the volume levels for each source (quieter AM/FM would get a big + dB boost, USB/BT would be kept standard, etc.).

Luckily for me, the volume switching hasn't really bugged me thus far, since I listen almost exclusively via BT, but I can definitely see where you're coming from.
Thanks for your insight, abcsoup.

Yes, very simply, there should be a setting that toggles between fixed or locked volume across all sources or individual volume at each source (similar to what the 'dual' button does for the HVAC system).

If you understand where I am coming from, I would greatly appreciate your sending Lexus a quick e-mail via the link provided regarding same.

Thanks.
Old 11-22-13, 08:41 AM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Errr.. I think the setup is perfect. My honda has a set volume for all sources which annoys the hell out of me.
Old 11-22-13, 09:01 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I don't agree with this. Separate volume for each source is perfect. Some people might have problem when you have a radio at 40 volume and then switch to another source like CD which has different loudness and it will be too loud. If you have separate volume setting for each source this will not happen.

I assume that you were listening to AM/FM at volume 40 why will it bother you when switch it back from other sources? Obviously you were comfortable at this volume.
Old 11-22-13, 10:09 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
I don't agree with this. Separate volume for each source is perfect. Some people might have problem when you have a radio at 40 volume and then switch to another source like CD which has different loudness and it will be too loud. If you have separate volume setting for each source this will not happen.

I assume that you were listening to AM/FM at volume 40 why will it bother you when switch it back from other sources? Obviously you were comfortable at this volume.
I am on the same thought. I think separate volume for each source is fine for me. Indeed it is a safe and good design decision. A long as you have predetermined the optimum volume for each source, you are all set.

Each person uses technology or setting differently though.
Old 11-22-13, 10:10 AM
sloosh
Driver

Agreed. You can set the source volume for each source to whatever you want, so why complain? Also, the source itself (DVD, CD, especially USB) can have different gain volumes, so it makes sense to have different source volumes.

The only problem is if you turn the volume down, switch sources, and have the volume jump back up.

A solution to satisfy both sides would be an "override" type feature where there is one set volume across all sources.
Old 11-22-13, 03:39 PM
greggy23
Rookie

Originally Posted by AndyL
I am on the same thought. I think separate volume for each source is fine for me. Indeed it is a safe and good design decision. A long as you have predetermined the optimum volume for each source, you are all set.

Each person uses technology or setting differently though.
Yes, remembering the audio setting of each source is my preference as well and a good design choice in my opinion. It's like most newer TV's, each input remembers the audio level it was on. It works better this way because the source audio might be louder or softer for each input.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-11-13 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-22-13, 04:01 PM
Oxytocin
Driver

The simplest solution would be to spend 1 minute setting all your sources to the same volume. The fact that all your sources are at different settings means that you have a preference for each source, otherwise they'd all be the same and you wouldn't have any issues at all. It'd be more work to have it all the same then having to change it to the volume you desire.
Old 11-22-13, 07:00 PM
abcsoup
Driver

Originally Posted by sloosh
Also, the source itself (DVD, CD, especially USB) can have different gain volumes, so it makes sense to have different source volumes.
It would be nice to have a gain compensation setting for each input that the user could customize, like with a home theater receiver. That way, volume could be equalized across sources, and you would never get unexpected jumps or dips in volume when changing sources.
Old 11-22-13, 07:30 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Do you have auto volume tuned on by default in DSP setting? This makes the volume louder occasionally and I turned it off.
Old 11-23-13, 05:18 AM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

This is exceptionally beneficial. When you have a source with low volume output you can raise the volume on that source and whenever you swith back to a source that has a high output it won't be blasting your ears. Now if you raise the volume on a source because you wanted to, changed source without lowering the volume and after a while you switch back and now it is blasting, then that's your fault.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-11-13 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-23-13, 08:14 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jennypenny
Errr.. I think the setup is perfect. My honda has a set volume for all sources which annoys the hell out of me.
How does your Honda bother you?

Comfortable at the time, but not comfortable from 20 for 1010 WINS to 40 for DMX.

Originally Posted by sloosh
The only problem is if you turn the volume down, switch sources, and have the volume jump back up.

A solution to satisfy both sides would be an "override" type feature where there is one set volume across all sources.
Exactly the problem I'm talking about and exactly the solution needed.

Originally Posted by greggy23
Yes, remembering the audio setting of each source is my preference as well and a good design choice in my opinion. It's like most newer TV's, each input remembers the audio level it was on. It works better this way because the source audio might be louder or softer for each input.
The variations in volume output are not great enough to require this setup.

Originally Posted by Oxytocin
The simplest solution would be to spend 1 minute setting all your sources to the same volume. The fact that all your sources are at different settings means that you have a preference for each source, otherwise they'd all be the same and you wouldn't have any issues at all. It'd be more work to have it all the same then having to change it to the volume you desire.
We're talking about changing the volume; which I do all the time; which has never been 'work'. What's not right is that we can go from listening to something loud, to something low, to something loud with no transition. It's awful.

Originally Posted by abcsoup
It would be nice to have a gain compensation setting for each input that the user could customize, like with a home theater receiver. That way, volume could be equalized across sources, and you would never get unexpected jumps or dips in volume when changing sources.
Brilliant; could be a third setting; fixed/locked, individual and gain/loss equalization.

Do you have auto volume tuned on by default in DSP setting? This makes the volume louder occasionally and I turned it off.
No, I do not; thanks though.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-11-13 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-23-13, 02:43 PM
greggy23
Rookie

Originally Posted by Slash300zx
No no don't get me wrong, you're not muddying my experience, I'm having a blast! I'm saying you are killing your own experience by worrying so much and seeing so much negative stuff about the car... they are not that big of a deal and sometimes I know habits are hard to break (I know, trust me) but sometimes because we are so used to something a certain way, we get blinded and don't realize that the new way is so much better than how we are used to...
Correct. dbs600, it seems like you're ruining your own experience. This is a non issue. It's by design and it was done for a reason by the engineers and designers of the vehicle. Because you might have an issue with it doesn't mean there is a problem or it's improperly designed.

I think it's great each input remembers its own volume setting. If it worked the opposite way I would not like it but I would understand why they did it and wouldn't say it was improperly designed. Maybe you should do a survey to see who thinks it's an issue.

Same with the rear headrest height adjustment. Maybe it was designed that way to not block the visibility of the driver? Maybe there's a regulation on how high they can go?

Sometimes when I read your posts it seems like you don't see other sides or reasons why things are the way they are and you believe your way is the only way and then you come to a judgement that something is wrong. It's really quite entertaining.
Old 11-23-13, 03:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

this is done on purpose because difference source's often need different volume, for instance your favourite FM station might need higher volume than you favorite CD or MP3 from the stick.

people usually complain to have this function included, not vice versa...

Quick Reply: Audio System Volume Settings - Update Possible?