IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone else tired of hitting their front lip onto a parking block?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-13, 01:10 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE="pmanliu;8248409"]Camera is relatively easy. I installed an aftermarket backup cam and will most likely do a front cam also. If you have a flyaudio or aftermarket nav unit installed it makes it even easier to tap into the screen.[/QUOTE

Unfortunately, I don't have a aftermarket navi. Only the stock one so it would be a lot tougher to tap into the navi to get a extra output. Would need to purchase a aftermarket module.

I understand that a camera would be much much better, but paying $16 for parking sensor vs $300-400 for a camera is a big difference. And they would prob work the same way. (Telling me how much room I have left before I crash into something)
Old 11-21-13, 01:21 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Long time CL member Javier had a front view cam installed

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5511944-post272.html
Old 11-21-13, 01:37 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=smokyis350;8248535]
Originally Posted by pmanliu
Camera is relatively easy. I installed an aftermarket backup cam and will most likely do a front cam also. If you have a flyaudio or aftermarket nav unit installed it makes it even easier to tap into the screen.[/QUOTE

Unfortunately, I don't have a aftermarket navi. Only the stock one so it would be a lot tougher to tap into the navi to get a extra output. Would need to purchase a aftermarket module.

I understand that a camera would be much much better, but paying $16 for parking sensor vs $300-400 for a camera is a big difference. And they would prob work the same way. (Telling me how much room I have left before I crash into something)
If you can tackle the job yourself it will be far less than $300-$400. I bought a backup cam off ebay ($40), great quality, has option to enable parking lines and has lasted 1+ year without any problems. Afterwards I bought a small 3.5" screen ($40) from amazon and mounted it above the trunk/gas buttons so its stays hidden. <$100 and you have yourself a nice setup. Perfectly do-able and the wiring is relatively straight forward. Ebay is blocked where i am currently but will try to dig up the exact parts i used.
Old 11-21-13, 07:26 PM
Snubbles
Lexus Test Driver

You can always raise up your car.
Old 11-21-13, 07:29 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PlacidBoi
I usually park far away and back up into the spot. If the spot is tight, I can just look at the reflection from the car next to me but I usually know when to stop.
I do the same but I usually back into the spots. If I'm pulling straight in and there is no car near me, I'll just stick my head out the window a little. I look a little weird doing it but I'd rather look weird than curb my lip.
Old 11-21-13, 07:43 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pmanliu
If you can tackle the job yourself it will be far less than $300-$400. I bought a backup cam off ebay ($40), great quality, has option to enable parking lines and has lasted 1+ year without any problems. Afterwards I bought a small 3.5" screen ($40) from amazon and mounted it above the trunk/gas buttons so its stays hidden. <$100 and you have yourself a nice setup. Perfectly do-able and the wiring is relatively straight forward. Ebay is blocked where i am currently but will try to dig up the exact parts i used.
I am interested in seeing your setup. Any pictures of it? How big is the monitor size?

I saw a 3.5" monitor. Might be the smallest available for $45

Amazon.com: Pyle PLCM32 3.5-Inch TFT LCD Monitor with Universal Mount Rear View and Backup Color CMD Distance Scale Line Camera: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Pyle PLCM32 3.5-Inch TFT LCD Monitor with Universal Mount Rear View and Backup Color CMD Distance Scale Line Camera: Car Electronics
Old 11-21-13, 08:28 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by smokyis350
I am interested in seeing your setup. Any pictures of it? How big is the monitor size?

I saw a 3.5" monitor. Might be the smallest available for $45

Amazon.com: Pyle PLCM32 3.5-Inch TFT LCD Monitor with Universal Mount Rear View and Backup Color CMD Distance Scale Line Camera: Car Electronics
Definitely. Right now i have the rear camera done, the front will be tackled in a little bit as I have the screen done just need to run wires to the camera. Here are the parts used though:

Monitor:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-LCD-Monitor-For-Car-Back-Up-Camera-DVD-Video-Test-/151169923858?pt=US_Rear_View_Monitors_Cams_Kits&hash=item23326dfb12
Monitor is 12v which means you can tap into any fuse basically on the driver's side. Because i don't have the sunshade/headlamp washers, i mounted this over where those buttons would have gone. You can barely see it from outside the car and only notice it inside if you look for it. However its convenient enough for the driver to see.

Camera:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-150-170-Car-Color-Rear-View-Reverse-Backup-Waterproof-Camera-QZ228-/251384746552?pt=US_Rear_View_Monitors_Cams_Kits&hash=item3a87b2d238
150 degrees should be enough to see parking blocks. This camera also has the ability to show a grid which helps lots. My plan is to mount it similar to where Javier did. Also 12v so just tap this into the same power supply as the camera.

Switch:

Any switch from autozone/homedepot whatever will do to power on the cam/monitor.

Should be relatively straight forward. Just pick up a few fuse taps and a multimeter if you haven't already. I'll update the thread if i get around to this mod soon.
Old 11-21-13, 10:29 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good thing my IS didn't come with NAV. I installed a front-view camera from Sonic Electronix for $40 and wired it to my FlyAudio unit. You should probably get a camera and buy a display screen on eBay for like $50-$100. Well worth the extra money and you won't have to drill your lip to put in the sensors. Not to mention, you get a much better idea how much room you really have with a camera rather than judging it based on how much the sensors are beeping.

Lol, it's also fun sometimes to have the camera on while driving, you can even see if you're scraping or not when going into parking lots.

Last edited by chi123; 11-21-13 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-21-13, 10:30 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Definitely take a photo of your setup when you have a chance. Would like to see how the monitor look on the side.
Old 11-24-13, 06:40 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Long time CL member Javier had a front view cam installed

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5511944-post272.html
I was just about to post my setup, but you beat me to the punch...

Originally Posted by chi123
Good thing my IS didn't come with NAV. I installed a front-view camera from Sonic Electronix for $40 and wired it to my FlyAudio unit. You should probably get a camera and buy a display screen on eBay for like $50-$100. Well worth the extra money and you won't have to drill your lip to put in the sensors. Not to mention, you get a much better idea how much room you really have with a camera rather than judging it based on how much the sensors are beeping.

Lol, it's also fun sometimes to have the camera on while driving, you can even see if you're scraping or not when going into parking lots.

Nice, brings back some great memories!

Javier
Old 11-25-13, 08:56 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
I was just about to post my setup, but you beat me to the punch...

Nice, brings back some great memories!

Javier
Javier, believe it or not, this is the very FlyAudio you had in your car. The person you sold it to sold it to me for a good price since the navigation didn't work. Figured might as well since I'm wanting it just for the back-up camera and to upgrade the look of the interior.
Old 11-26-13, 04:19 PM
Bleezy
Lead Lap

If I have to pull into a parking spot instead of backing in I always line my side mirrors up with the car next to me door handles. It works pretty good actually unless they are parked like a jerk of course.
Old 11-26-13, 05:03 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chi123
Javier, believe it or not, this is the very FlyAudio you had in your car. The person you sold it to sold it to me for a good price since the navigation didn't work. Figured might as well since I'm wanting it just for the back-up camera and to upgrade the look of the interior.
No way! That's awesome - glad it went to a good home!!!

Javier
Old 11-26-13, 06:51 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bleezy
If I have to pull into a parking spot instead of backing in I always line my side mirrors up with the car next to me door handles. It works pretty good actually unless they are parked like a jerk of course.
That works a lot of time. But then a lot of parking spots around here aren't parallel with each other.