IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tilt sensor add on to oem

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-13, 09:17 AM
g2bme
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tilt sensor add on to oem

Hey all, looking to add a tilt sensor to our OEM alarm. I've become a little paranoid and want to add this without having to do another alarm and carry another key fob. For right now this would be my only piece of mind on top of the oem security. I was thinking of upgrading later to the Viper alarm with 2 way AND a Lexus key card so I can just vary the card and the alarm.

Any recommendations?

I've checked with one local shop who was pretty informative. He stated that our alarm systems brain only has so many inputs (kill switch). He stated that I'd have to get, or SHOULD, get an after market alarm with a brain with multiple inputs. He stated not to do the splicing or use a relay because it'll really be messing with the internals and can cause false alarms.

I've searched and a couple of old threads, even a DIY thread shows a DEI tilt sensor can be added on by modifying the current oem. Is this the only case to add a sensor? Has anyone done it recently?

Thanks in advance for the input.
Old 11-10-13, 11:30 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I have the Viper 5902, and it works fine -- remote kinda sucks because it's too easy to press. The 5904 is the newest model I think, but same remote and practically everything else.

I would be more critical on listening to what someone has something to sell me says. The things you will gain from after market is 2 way alarm and remote start, not inputs (whatever that is) -- of course that comes with an extra remote.

The DIY is fine; unless you got a 2014, I don't imagine anything would have changed other than wire colors -- probably still the same with 2014.
Old 11-10-13, 02:07 PM
g2bme
Pole Position

Thanks for the input! I've seen a setup with the same alarm and then they purchased and programmed a Lexus smart key CARD. They carry it in their wallet and have the two way remote with them. That's ideally what I want but the budget doesn't see to it.

I figured for now, just add the tilt sensor with the oem. Thereafter, the viper alarm.

Any other suggestions?
Old 11-10-13, 03:07 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My stereo/alarm shop added a glass breakage and tilt sensor to my factory system. The DEI tilt sensor gave me an issue and we replaced it with a new one an it gave me the same issue (not able to arm if I remember correctly) so I just removed it completely. So it is possible to do. And it's cheap.
Old 11-11-13, 07:44 AM
g2bme
Pole Position

Thanks for the input...Hmmm well it is possible but then you mentioned the arm wouldn't work. No point to install if the car doesn't arm? It seems like an aftermarket alarm is the only solution. =T

Thought I'd be able to just install pieces rather than a whole
Old 11-11-13, 08:06 AM
vapid2323
Pole Position

You can install the pieces alone, I did it.

You can install a glass break sensor and also the tilt sensor, all you need to do is when they are triggered you send a signal to the car that makes it think a door opened.

My setup cost me like 60 bucks for gear and about 4 hours to install.

See this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ory-alarm.html
Old 11-11-13, 08:39 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Originally Posted by g2bme
Thanks for the input...Hmmm well it is possible but then you mentioned the arm wouldn't work. No point to install if the car doesn't arm? It seems like an aftermarket alarm is the only solution. =T

Thought I'd be able to just install pieces rather than a whole
What are you looking for? The DIY is very detailed, makes sense, and people got it to work. One person said it doesn't work right for him, and your conclusion is that it doesn't work at all.
Old 11-12-13, 09:17 AM
g2bme
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nosurprise
What are you looking for? The DIY is very detailed, makes sense, and people got it to work. One person said it doesn't work right for him, and your conclusion is that it doesn't work at all.
Looks like I jumped to the conclusion and placed it across the board for everyone. I looked into the detailed DIY and it seems that the issue has been going on with several others. I'd clarify and say...

it looks like I may have to go for an aftermarket alarm RATHER than a hit or a miss with the DEI Tilt sensor.

Ultimately I'm just looking for a Tilt sensor to piggyback onto the OEM alarm.
Old 11-12-13, 12:43 PM
vapid2323
Pole Position

You do know that the DEI Tilt sensor is what most alarms will use?? You get the standard alarm then you can add in the tilt sensor... Most of the time the installer will use DEI.
Old 11-12-13, 12:58 PM
g2bme
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vapid2323
You do know that the DEI Tilt sensor is what most alarms will use?? You get the standard alarm then you can add in the tilt sensor... Most of the time the installer will use DEI.
Yes. It's an "ADD ON" item. I'm completely aware of the "add on" sensors for a car; back up battery, glass, noise, movement etc. Most installers around my area or any area use DEI; i can even pick it up on amazon for 25 bucks. It's a matter of either pairing it with an aftermarket alarm (which will have one carry 2 key fobs, OEM and aftermarket), or with the OEM (a splicing and piggybacking setup).

My question was if the two options above are the only ways to add on the "add on tilt sensor". One route is the "correct" way (2 key fobs) and the other is a "modified way" (one key fob). Each has it's plus and minus points.

I see that Vapid2323 you posted last on the DIY thread, how did the DIY go for you? Are you carrying around 2 key fobs?
Old 11-12-13, 01:08 PM
minato
Pole Position

I carry around 2 Key fobs
all works ,
it arms once car is locked
but if I use aftermarket to arm/ start car, oem dosent work
Installer installed mine like 2+ years ago and still works
Old 11-12-13, 03:28 PM
vapid2323
Pole Position

Yes. It's an "ADD ON" item. I'm completely aware of the "add on" sensors for a car; back up battery, glass, noise, movement etc. Most installers around my area or any area use DEI; i can even pick it up on amazon for 25 bucks. It's a matter of either pairing it with an aftermarket alarm (which will have one carry 2 key fobs, OEM and aftermarket), or with the OEM (a splicing and piggybacking setup).

My question was if the two options above are the only ways to add on the "add on tilt sensor". One route is the "correct" way (2 key fobs) and the other is a "modified way" (one key fob). Each has it's plus and minus points.

I see that Vapid2323 you posted last on the DIY thread, how did the DIY go for you? Are you carrying around 2 key fobs?
The DIY is only adding in the Glass Break sensor and a Tilt Sensor. There is no need for any extra key fobs....did you read the DIY?

As for the install, the hardest part was trying to convince the guys at NAPA that I was building a Security system. They just kept telling me that the relay I wanted should be in the 'kit' I bought lol. They just could not understand that I was literally BUILDING the security system >.<.

I did have to convince them to sell me a relay from a BMW.

As for the actual install, the hard part was most definitely getting the center vents out. But after that everything went super smooth. Just make sure you take your time and you should have no issues.
Old 11-12-13, 06:13 PM
nosurprise
Racer

My question was if the two options above are the only ways to add on the "add on tilt sensor".
Yes! There is another way to add a tilt sensor call the Tilt Board™ method. It took me a while to come up with this, but it's cost effective and very easy DIY. I'll patent this ingenious method but will let Club Lexus members use it free of charge*.

Please refer to the wiring diagram below. An essential part that's needed is a piece of 10"x10" cardboard -- you can cut it out from a box, but it must be 10" square; if it's in-exact, it may cause false alarms. If it's impossible to get an exact length cardboard, you may substitute your missing length with additional weight. For example, if your cardboard is only 10"x9", add 10oz of copper/iron in the 9" side. However, this is not 100% supported and might not work as well as an exact sized cardboard. You will also need a bell; any bell will work but not a cowbell because we don't need any more cowbells. Finally, get a blue string of appropriate length and attached to all 4 corners of the cardboard with the cardboard glue to the backseat. The strings should be tied/merged into a single string while still inside the car. A hole will need to be drilled and have the string pass through the car. Optionally, if you don't want to tied the 4 strings together, you may drill 4 holes in the car. The last step is to set up the bell inside your house, preferably next to your bed for maximum effectiveness. Depending on your house setup, you may also need to drill a hole in the wall. Tie the string to the bell to arm the system. You can test out the system by lifting your car; the bell should chime.

* If you're inactive, has not posted, banned because of bad behavior, or otherwise unable to login and post due to apathy, sickness or death, or any other unspecified or specified reason in a period of approximate 1 month (30 days), you authorize me to charge you 3 easy payments of $9.99. Payment due on the date of last post made. $10 late fee for each day of late payment.
Attached Thumbnails Tilt sensor add on to oem-badasstiltboard.png  

Last edited by nosurprise; 11-12-13 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-12-13, 08:17 PM
g2bme
Pole Position

^^ man me, to think you went through the whole trouble, thanks for humoring me.