IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Nitrous 1/8 Mile pass

Old 02-23-14, 03:14 PM
Gville350

Received 426 Likes on 382 Posts

^Very nice! And I see what you're going for there, stealthy. How about switch out the electrical wire covering for some vacuum line to make it look factory.

Is that nozzle threaded in or press-fit? I've not run the bottle before so I'm not sure of the pressures released by the nozzle; but shouldn't there be a bung welded into the pipe for absolute security that the nozzle stays put during operation?

Lastly, are there any fail-safes? WOT trigger? Is it simply activated by your red button there?
Old 02-24-14, 09:28 AM
rayac88
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the time slip is from you running the 75 shot or the 55 shot? and running the octane booster would that actually give any benefit as the ECU will adjust for the timing automatically based off of its readings? not sure if our ECU will advance timing past normal detonation standard of 91 octane.
Old 02-24-14, 12:35 PM
Gville350

^I'm sure he was adding it to help with any possible detonation issues. But the thing with octane boosters is that a FULL bottle will only likely help raise the octane rating by a quarter of a point (read online a WHILE ago...not such if they're not potent now). You would be better off just finding a ethanol-free "supreme/super" octane fuel and paying the .20/.30 more per gallon.
Old 02-24-14, 12:58 PM
Donkey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
^Very nice! And I see what you're going for there, stealthy. How about switch out the electrical wire covering for some vacuum line to make it look factory.

Is that nozzle threaded in or press-fit? I've not run the bottle before so I'm not sure of the pressures released by the nozzle; but shouldn't there be a bung welded into the pipe for absolute security that the nozzle stays put during operation?

Lastly, are there any fail-safes? WOT trigger? Is it simply activated by your red button there?
I just might do that, thanks I was contemplating in tapping directing behind the manifold so it wouldn't be visible at all but I'm unsure if it will upset the spraying pattern to each runner.

The nozzle is tapped and threaded into the intake tube along with some Teflon and thread locker to ensure it from not moving.

My thumb is my fail safe lol
Old 02-24-14, 01:17 PM
Gville350

Very good!
Old 02-24-14, 01:27 PM
Donkey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rayac88
the time slip is from you running the 75 shot or the 55 shot? and running the octane booster would that actually give any benefit as the ECU will adjust for the timing automatically based off of its readings? not sure if our ECU will advance timing past normal detonation standard of 91 octane.
The time slip is with the 75 jet, but was my very first all out pass. I'm sure if I stall it a bit higher I'll be able to bring down the times. When I ran the 8.190 with the 55 shot I had my spare tires up front which is less weight, rotating mass, and drag, so I'm sure that came into play with my ET and MPH

From my knowledge the ECU does adjust timing to compensate for the nitrous, but I just play it safe and dump the octane booster. I'm going to mix a gallon of 109 unleaded see if a notice a difference which I very much doubt.
Old 02-24-14, 06:00 PM
Gville350

^All of those passes were on street tires....yes?

If anything, it'll help avoid knock and detonation; probably a good move actually. Don't forget Toluene too!
Old 02-24-14, 09:46 PM
rayac88
Pole Position

I have to get tired in a few months I might just try and go wider I got 255 30 20 now. I might try 275 but I do if it will provide enough grip for when I put it on spray. These 255s are killing me even with these headers
Old 03-10-14, 09:05 PM
rayac88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Donkey

The time slip is with the 75 jet, but was my very first all out pass. I'm sure if I stall it a bit higher I'll be able to bring down the times. When I ran the 8.190 with the 55 shot I had my spare tires up front which is less weight, rotating mass, and drag, so I'm sure that came into play with my ET and MPH

From my knowledge the ECU does adjust timing to compensate for the nitrous, but I just play it safe and dump the octane booster. I'm going to mix a gallon of 109 unleaded see if a notice a difference which I very much doubt.
Just ran my car with the ppe headers. You might want to look into some (donkey). It knocked 2 tenths off my time. It was about 66 degrees on the track and I had my heavy 20s with my ****ty tires and I ran 8.8 both runs. Generally I'm around 8.95. My trap speed went up to 83mph.
I'll be running Friday again at a slightly slower track but with my 18s on all seasons. Hopefully the weather stays cool I could hit 8.7, Consistently.
Old 03-11-14, 08:55 AM
badx33
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Rayac88 which track are you going to? county line?
Old 03-11-14, 02:18 PM
rayac88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by badx33
Rayac88 which track are you going to? county line?
I was at county line this past Saturday. But I'm going to homestead on Friday. It's cheaper and you get more runs in. Works out better to actually tnt there.
Old 03-15-14, 02:40 AM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm surprised you guys ignored 'lexusis305's comment about adding a T to the fuel line so you can run a wet shot and push up the nitrous without leaning out. He's a Lexus tech out in Florida, he knows what he's talking about. He ran a 125 shot safely on an IS250. Without leaning it out or giving it issues. I'm actually getting ready to do just that, after I throw on the very rare and dyno proven Mazzuri's headers. Hoping to have the fastest IS250 on the 1/4. We'll see.
Old 03-15-14, 06:10 AM
rayac88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by XhyDra
I'm surprised you guys ignored 'lexusis305's comment about adding a T to the fuel line so you can run a wet shot and push up the nitrous without leaning out. He's a Lexus tech out in Florida, he knows what he's talking about. He ran a 125 shot safely on an IS250. Without leaning it out or giving it issues. I'm actually getting ready to do just that, after I throw on the very rare and dyno proven Mazzuri's headers. Hoping to have the fastest IS250 on the 1/4. We'll see.
I know him personally I never disregarded the post there is just a couple things that I would have to look in to before running that setup. And running a 250 on spray is different from a 350 especially in regards to running it "safely". But I know he knows his stuff.
Old 03-15-14, 12:32 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rayac88
I know him personally I never disregarded the post there is just a couple things that I would have to look in to before running that setup. And running a 250 on spray is different from a 350 especially in regards to running it "safely". But I know he knows his stuff.
Gotcha, cool no worries. I just figure it would probably help out more if you guys had any technical questions. The concern here is leaning out on a high shot right? I'm thinking before I do anything I want to run it on a Dyno with all the readings on consecutive runs to see if I'm stressing any component or system. And at least have several safeties to keep me aware as I'm spraying.
Old 04-06-14, 10:51 AM
Is350nlm
Driver School Candidate

For you ppl that have nitrous I was wondering if y'all have problems with the trans not shifting if you don't let out of the gas for a split sec. I have a zex wet kit on a 65 shot and if I don't let off it will hit the rev limiter and not shift till I let off a little.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nitrous 1/8 Mile pass