IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Unnecessary repair time!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-13, 12:29 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Man, you are fully entitled to the way you feel and this whole epsiode is definitely not the norm with Lexus. BUT...I'll state again they're probably fixing something they F'd up on, thus the delay.

Wish you luck...oh, and I agree with you about the ES series. LOL!
Old 11-14-13, 03:17 AM
delta136
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

been a week since you've last seen your car. have they said anything or given you a status since then?
Old 11-14-13, 06:48 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sorry to hear all this drama. It'll be interesting to see th invoice and see the list of parts replaced.
Old 11-14-13, 08:02 AM
N2M
Driver School Candidate

I would try to find out if any other owners have had their car in and out before yours, regarding the same recall. By my logic there should be a huge lineup of complaining owners from the first day you brought your car in. (as you should be the first in line)
I'm smelling something ain't right over there??? Although a loaner is nice you have to get your car back eventually so your focus is spot on. When I booked my appt. the earliest was Dec 9 and they say that it should only take a day. fingers crossed
Old 11-14-13, 08:05 AM
Raybean
Pole Position

recalls and warranty work don't pay very well for a flat rate tech. if they are under staffed like you say they may drop whatever they are doing and do a "good job" (customer pay) before they finish yours. You got a loaner which is most likely a newer model/year then yours. i don't really see a problem here.

Last edited by Raybean; 11-14-13 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-14-13, 12:12 PM
IS350AWD
Driver

Originally Posted by jusclark13
Just to give everyone an update.....

I haven't heard from the dealership since I went in there last Thursday morning unannounced. They told me it would be fixed by today (11/13). I am going to call tomorrow around 4:30pm and ask when it is going to be finished if they don't call me tomorrow. If it isn't finished by tomorrow Lexus Corporate will be hearing from me and they will not be happy with this as this is completely unreasonable and unacceptable for any car company ESPECIALLY a luxury car company such as Lexus. So far they have had the car for 17 days.

I hate to sound like a **** but there is absolutely no reason for this delay in repair and even if their tech had a stroke or some other medical condition you would think they would go out of their way to rectify the issue instead of just saying we will call you when its done and until they let us be. Driving the 2013 ES350 and let me be the first to say this car is a POS. Averaging 20 mpg driving it like a grandma, weak structure, etc. would never buy anything in the ES class ever!
With all due respect, you should have contacted Corporate the day you saw your car in pieces. The longer the wait, the less leverage you have with Corporate. It's essentially giving the dealer more excuses to create once Corporate gets into the picture.

Such as, "Well, the owner had no problem with anything since he did not complain about the status of this vehicle besides the timeline." At this point, it's too late IMO.

Best of luck and make sure to update when you can.
Old 11-14-13, 02:31 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Call Lexus Corporate and log a complaint. A few more weeks (after 30 days), you may have a Lemon Law case.

http://www.indianaconsumer.com/consu.../lemon_law.asp
Old 11-14-13, 04:39 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
I'm sorry to hear all this drama. It'll be interesting to see th invoice and see the list of parts replaced.
they probably "shop tagged" it so it doesn't have to show up on the repair orders parts list.
Old 11-14-13, 05:53 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would rack up 1700 miles if I get a loaner for 17 days. Good luck!
Old 11-14-13, 07:29 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Driving the 2013 ES350 and let me be the first to say this car is a POS. Averaging 20 mpg driving it like a grandma, weak structure, etc. would never buy anything in the ES class ever!
I had driven 2013 ES350 as a loaner and the handling and driving is quite bad -- kinda feel like a boat.

In this recall, I got a 2014 ES350, and Lexus improved a lot on handling while still maintain a very smooth ride.
Old 11-18-13, 11:03 AM
jusclark13
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok everybody just got my IS350 back and i don't even know what to think, say, how I even feel about the car anymore.... Here goes the entire run down of everything that was done, said, my opinion, and concerns I still have. I will not go into depth about what occurred prior to me picking up the car so if you don't know please read my previous posts in this thread.

Received a call from my local Lexus dealership on Wednesday (11/13) that my car should will be done Thursday but they took a look at my water pump (like I asked 3 weeks prior) and just now determined it was failing and would need an entire new pump and the part had to be ordered and therefore my car wouldn't be done until Saturday (11/16) around noon. They also told me there were a few "issues" they "noticed" when they were putting the engine back together. They said a few fuel injector clips were broke and needed to be replaced and that bolts were missing from a previous repair where the tech must not have put it back together (engine has never been worked on before to any significant extent). I told them I had an extended warranty and to contact them about bill for water pump work and parts. They informed me I had a $100 deductible for the warranty claim and told them that Lexus gave me $125 goodwill credit from a previous issue and to use $100 of that to cover the deductible. They concurred and told me it would all be done by Saturday morning at the very latest.

I went into the dealership Saturday morning and my vehicle was outside waiting for me. I gave them their rental and asked questions regarding the bolts and connectors that randomly broke and were missing. They explained that it was a major issue and they didn't feel comfortable giving me my car back in the condition that it was in but they reassured me it was no fault of their own and they were simply correcting someone else's mistake. I said thats fine and asked for copies of all the work done. They agreed, gave me copies, and then decided (after I signed the paperwork) that they had taken the entire $125, changed my oil for me (It was due to be changed BUT I only use Amsoil!), and taken care of cleaning the car as well. I told them I didn't mind them taking the entire $125 that much but I didn't authorize them to change the oil nor did I understand how the fuel injector clips were broken when it ran completely fine before bringing it in. They elaborated on it saying it wasn't causing an issue yet but if it did completely break the entire timing would be off and cause major issues. I was running late for work and was in a hurry so I grabbed my keys and went on my way.

Once in the car and I stated it, it sounded great like it always does (tanabe exhaust) and I let the engine warm up a bit before driving it. After driving it a little bit (yes I opened it up on the highway to about 130 once the engine was warm) the steering seems so heavy and the brakes are extremely tight. I am not sure if this is due to driving the 2013 ES350 for so long or what. My buddy looked at the car that night and said it looks like they changed the pads and turned all the rotors. I am not sure if they did but the steering and braking is definitely different from what I remember (they did have my car for 3 weeks). The car runs great but I do notice that the car doesn't jump up in rpm's to the redline like it use to if I am cruising and then put the pedal to floor. It jumps to about 4k then rises to the redline.

After inspecting the car visually and under the hood I became extremely frustrated and disappointed. When removing the engine cover (grey cover with lexus logo) they broke on of the tabs and didn't replace it, they simply left the engine cover just sitting on the engine connected in only one spot. I also went to roll down all my windows to get fresh air in the car and realized they didn't reset the windows at all. So I am unable to control any windows from the driver's control except from the driver's window. I am extremely disappointed in the work, time required to complete it, and the lack of clarity of what was being done to MY car. Was NEVER told about injector connectors, bolts, or oil change being done until AFTER they had already done it and billed for it. They also didn't even fill my car up with gas like they were suppose to due it being in there for a recall initially.

I will post the work order sheets when I get home and can upload them for anybody who knows about that stuff to comment on them. I will also be visiting Lexus today for them to fix the window issue and engine cover issue. Lexus corporate will also be getting a call where I can explain everything to them so that the entire issue is noted and I have covered my end by presenting my concerns. I don't know if its possible or even techs even do this today, but I would like to get a note sheet that has all the work, notes, concerns, recommendations from the tech himself.

If anybody has any advice, concerns, or opinions please let me know as this is a very concerning issue to me. Thanks to everyone who contributes to club lexus!
Old 11-18-13, 11:05 AM
jusclark13
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by panda08
they probably "shop tagged" it so it doesn't have to show up on the repair orders parts list.
I don't know what you mean by this. Please explain if you could.

Originally Posted by shaolin
I would rack up 1700 miles if I get a loaner for 17 days. Good luck!
I got the car with around 10,100 miles (i think) and i know i turned it in with about 12,300. I drove excessively on purpose.
Old 11-18-13, 11:32 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

It is not "shop tagged", it is putting a part on a shop ticket...that is when the team leader or technician bills out a part internally that will not show up on a repair invoice. It is usually when they break something and don't charge it to the customer.
Old 11-18-13, 01:14 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^That's what I'm afraid of here has happened.

About the window thing, that happens any time you disconnect the battery. Simply depress and hold the window down button at each door for 100 seconds, and then immediately up for 10 seconds. Once done to all 4 windows, the "express" window function will be re-learned and able to function from the master switches in the driver's door.

GL with Corporate!
Old 11-18-13, 07:07 PM
RangerJoe
Driver

I opened it up on the highway to about 130 once the engine was warm
You're an idiot.

Quick Reply: Unnecessary repair time!!!!