IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ever wonder what they do when you go through Valet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-13, 09:41 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Aron9000, I have to ask; where and how did you develop this sense of entitlement? This "disrespect" or however you choose to interpret it goes hand in hand with the service industry. Your job is to be courteous to the customer regardless of how they treat you, park their cars, and retrieve their cars. Its one of the easiest jobs you can get, and you're here *****ing and moaning about eye contact and conversation? It's not in your job description to treat other people's property with disregard.

You talk about treating people's cars with respect as if they have to earn it from you. Yes it sucks to be treated that way, but you are not owed a tip; it is a courtesy. Valet service is usually something they pay for. If you don't get a tip, treat the car normally, there is no reason to abuse it. If you do get a tip, treat the car as if it were your own. Abusing the car does nothing for you except give your employers a reason to fire you. All it takes is one or two incidents caught on camera and you're out on your ***. At this point, if you've been acting like this for 6 years, I hope you get fired. You sound like you've developed such a bitter taste for this job, it might be time to try something else, something where you don't deal with people.

People like you are why the service industries have gone to ****. If you get treated with disrespect, guess what; its probably because they had a bad experience with another valet. Why not suck it up and be courteous instead? You're just contributing to a vicious cycle if you respond in kind.
Well said I couldn't have said it better. It really bothers me that people can be so destructive
Old 10-28-13, 09:44 AM
thekhmer
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Honestly I can't blame the kid, I mean come on your young and you get to drive very nice cars around. I have seen worst, there a videos of valets smoking tires n doing donuts, at least this kid didn't hit the rev limit.
Old 10-28-13, 10:44 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
This. I've worked valet for 6 years at a similar "4 star/4 diamond" type of hotel. No way in hell would I ever valet my $8000, 92 SC300 with the manual trans. You'd be surprised at how many valets are idiots and don't know how to drive a manual but try anyways.

I have to ask you a few questions.

1. Was your car cosmetically damaged in any way?

2. Was any personal property stolen from your car?

3. Does your car drive exactly the same way as before you entered valet?

If you answered no, no, and yes to those questions, then you really don't have anything to ***** about. That valet obviously knew how to drive stick and did not ride your clutch.

All this being said, if you treat me like a douche when you check in, or stiff me on the in and the way out, you will receive extra special treatment.

The special treatment includes:

I will ride your clutch until it starts to smoke. Automatic, I will slam it into reverse at 5mph, then forwards at 5mph while its going backwards, then slam it into park while backing into the space. I NEVER speed in the garage.

Really you have to be extra special before I give you that type of treatment. Stiff me two or three times in one shift, your car is getting put through hell. If you talk down to me like a douche, your car is getting that extra special treatment. Really its all about your attitude as to how your car gets treated. If you say you are going to be quick and request your car to be kept up front for a few minutes or even an hour or two, I will generally give you the benefit of the doubt if you don't tip me in advance. Don't tip me in advance then come out an hour later and stiff me while I kept your car up front, you are on my ***** list.

If its a rental, I really don't see the point in breaking it for the next person. We do highlight the key tag for people who stiff us, if its a busy day and we have several keys in line, highlighted keys always get bumped to the back of the line, its a 10 minute wait vs a 2 minute wait if we're busy and we know you don't tip.

For those special people, in addition to tearing their car up if its their personal car, I always f^ck with their radio. Turn that thing all the way up to channel 40 if they have Satellite radio, that's the hardcore metal station. Then turn it off. If they don't have satellite radio, its AM 1140, all the way up, the Mexican music channel, then turn it off.

Just saying, if you are straight disrespectful to your valet, they will **** with you.
Wow...where does one start? I will lay this out as nicely as I can...as I am pretty much in the position your boss's boss would be in at my current job.

Others are 100% correct, you are in the service industry and nobody owes you a thing. If anything, you owe the people coming in to stay at the hotel your thanks, as without them there would be no need to employ valets and you would be out a job. If these people feel the need to give you a tip due to exceptional service, so be it. If they don't, then maybe you need to ask yourself what you could do to provide that customer with better service that brings out the tip.

And on the idea that people treat you poorly, think of the customer that you **** off and he goes and tells his boss. Do you think the lack of eye contact you get is anything like the wrath the customer gives your manager when he finds out you thrashed his $45k car? And then you feel the obligation to destroy that person's property for somehow wronging you? That is criminal.

And on my last note, if I ever found out that I had employees with attitudes like yours, I would fire you on the spot. This is exactly why customer service has eroded over the years, and even somewhere that provides excellent customer service is set up for failure due to people like you. I am sure that the OP got his aprehension of valets from people like you, and after this event will walk across a highway to avoid people like you.

Well done...SMH

Last edited by quick123; 10-28-13 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-28-13, 10:54 AM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thekhmer
Honestly I can't blame the kid, I mean come on your young and you get to drive very nice cars around. I have seen worst, there a videos of valets smoking tires n doing donuts, at least this kid didn't hit the rev limit.
that is immature and irresponsible thing to say. you could care less when it's other people's property. i doubt you would have this same attitude if your own property is on the line.
Old 10-28-13, 11:11 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

easy way to get fired especially at a valet job where you make decent money and tips.

try this **** in Vegas, where valet is mandatory. You'll get banned from the hotel and blacklisted off working ANY valet job at ANY of the hotels.
Old 10-28-13, 11:17 AM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyLPita
Having former valet/porter jobs, I will self park my car whenever I can.

BTW, The late Richard Jeni said this best: "Valet is a French word meaning: 'drunken teenager.' ".
I've been here before so I know they don't allow self park. The first time I came here for work, I asked if I could pay for the valet fees but park the car myself, they said it was against policies.

Originally Posted by pmanliu
This is why i love dashcams. Valet gave my car to the wrong person. Dude was trying to pick up his GTR, not my slow 250
Exactly my thoughts! Floor it to 6k rpm, you're still not going to get anywhere! Not to mention, in an underground parking lot!

Originally Posted by iRock
Oh boy. I would have gotten a free night stay or something.
Oh, I'm working on that when I get off class!
Originally Posted by senxation
Man these guys have no respect facepalm loll. What kind of exhaust is that btw?
Thank you! It's the F Sport Exhaust paired with the Invidia Midpipes. I also have the JoeZ intake, however, you don't hear the intake since the exhaust set up is so loud!
Originally Posted by sm1ke
Your job is to be courteous to the customer regardless of how they treat you, park their cars, and retrieve their cars. Its one of the easiest jobs you can get, and you're here *****ing and moaning about eye contact and conversation? It's not in your job description to treat other people's property with disregard.

You talk about treating people's cars with respect as if they have to earn it from you.

People like you are why the service industries have gone to ****. .
Took the words outta my mouth. I didn't want to start a flaming post although I was quite offended in a way with the response that Aoron posted, but I just let it go. I kind of saw it coming from everyone else that these kind of responses were on the way!

Originally Posted by 240benzo
oh wait..hourly jobs are supposed to get tips? i need to tell the rest of my advisors this...
Haha! I heard from a friend that did valet for a while that they were paid somewhere around $5 an hour and tips on top
Originally Posted by dorkacho
well said.

how would YOU feel if another person does the same thing to your car? think in other peoples shoes. like Sm1ke said, people like you are reasons we don't trust valet.

btw placiboi, sorry to hear about your incident. i hope you call the resort and complain and get some kind of compensation.
Thank you.
I will be calling in as soon as I get off school.
They better compensate for it.

Yes, I am 20 years old. However, it doesn't mean I'm rich. I work two jobs and attend college full time. I paid every penny for the car, every penny that is on the car, and every penny that goes on and in the car. This is no reason for anyone else to treat my "baby" with a manner as that gentlemen in the video did.

Originally Posted by quick123
And on the idea that people treat you poorly, think of the customer that you **** off and he goes and tells his boss. Do you think the lack of eye contact you get is anything like the wrath the customer gives your manager when he finds out you thrashed his $45k car? And then you feel the obligation to destroy that person's property for somehow wronging you? That is criminal.

Well done...SMH
I agree with you. I am paying a LOT for a service to begin with, and I did tip very well.
No idea how Aoron came to be
Old 10-28-13, 11:51 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I've always said no one knows your car best but you. I can't imagine giving up the keys for someone else to drive, even to park. But it did seem like the valet was really close to that wall at one point. I'm not cheap by any means, but I really dislike that certain places do not have a self parking area, especially when there is a dash cam that can blatantly prove some wrongdoing in the process. The valet will say the car is fine, but the rustling of the center console while in motion and nearly taking out a side mirror was uncalled for. Do valets go through people's personal areas like the glove box or center console? I err on the side of caution and say yes all the time. Truthfully, they're strangers, and when has anyone been able to trust a stranger?
Old 10-28-13, 12:31 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PlacidBoi
I've been here before so I know they don't allow self park. The first time I came here for work, I asked if I could pay for the valet fees but park the car myself, they said it was against policies.

Exactly my thoughts! Floor it to 6k rpm, you're still not going to get anywhere! Not to mention, in an underground parking lot!

Oh, I'm working on that when I get off class!

Thank you! It's the F Sport Exhaust paired with the Invidia Midpipes. I also have the JoeZ intake, however, you don't hear the intake since the exhaust set up is so loud!

Took the words outta my mouth. I didn't want to start a flaming post although I was quite offended in a way with the response that Aoron posted, but I just let it go. I kind of saw it coming from everyone else that these kind of responses were on the way!

Haha! I heard from a friend that did valet for a while that they were paid somewhere around $5 an hour and tips on top

Thank you.
I will be calling in as soon as I get off school.
They better compensate for it.

Yes, I am 20 years old. However, it doesn't mean I'm rich. I work two jobs and attend college full time. I paid every penny for the car, every penny that is on the car, and every penny that goes on and in the car. This is no reason for anyone else to treat my "baby" with a manner as that gentlemen in the video did.

I agree with you. I am paying a LOT for a service to begin with, and I did tip very well.
No idea how Aoron came to be
you weren't the only one that got offended by his response. i'm surprised he bothered to make a post like that thinking it was the right thing to do. such immature and unprofessional behavior.

btw love you exhaust setup. i thought you were going to part the midpipe?

do keep us updated on what the hotel says. good luck!
Old 10-28-13, 02:12 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. I've always been very apprehensive about valet parking. This is one of those videos that just proves these kinds of things happen. I've valeted my IS250 about 15 times in my 6 years of ownership and I've always tipped well to try and prevent these kinds of things from happening. But, the fact that you have to tip to prevent this kind of stuff happening like Aaron9000 has said is just appalling! When did it come to this? Why should we fear for our property being mistreated like this? Faith in humanity . . . fading . . .
Old 10-28-13, 02:28 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have yet to valet my IS at least with what is currently on it but in my old ride I would ask if they could just leave it near drop off/pick up area and they always would I mean why not extra cash for them and less running maybe something to think about. But still prefer to park it myself.
Old 10-28-13, 02:42 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

aron9000's post was the exact reason why many of us don't want to use valet. That's what's wrong with SOME young people these days. You EARN respect, not demand it!!! Maybe he needs to go back to look at grade school rules...."Treat others as you would like to be treated!"

Sorry to hear about this event. I would have asked to drive my own car WITH the valet.
Old 10-28-13, 03:16 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Not looking you in the eye? If you trashed my car for not looking at you in the eye I'd beat the **** out of you.

You say youve been working there for 6 years...get a new ****ing job *******.
Old 10-28-13, 03:27 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

why do people have this weird perception that it's an unforgiveable/cardinal sin for someone to do some lighthearted/innocent/harmless hooning someone else's car because they're afraid something might get ****ed up, but it's okay when the owner does it?

to the OP, turn down the Drake soundtrack (sounds like a rattle can in the back) and don't drive up with your exhaust system within auditory range. also, don't reiterate something that the valets can see. you might as well be calling them blind idiots for pointing out the obvious.

and be nice to and/or tip the valet. not to say you did or didn't treat the valets nicely and/or tip them...

I understand you wanting to report this to the valet's manager/supervisor (let's admit it, sometimes it feels good when you're able to extract some measure of revenge). But the last time you did that, you almost cost the guy his job and livelihood by taking it to the forums instead of just quietly working things out. Just remember: what goes around, comes around.

Last edited by projectdna; 10-28-13 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-28-13, 03:47 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
why do people have this weird perception that it's an unforgiveable/cardinal sin for someone to do some lighthearted/innocent/harmless hooning someone else's car because they're afraid something might get ****ed up, but it's okay when the owner does it?

to the OP, turn down the Drake soundtrack (sounds like a rattle can in the back) and don't drive up with your exhaust system within auditory range. also, don't reiterate something that the valets can see. you might as well be calling them blind idiots for pointing out the obvious.

and be nice to and/or tip the valet. not to say you did or didn't treat the valets nicely and/or tip them...

I understand you wanting to report this to the valet's manager/supervisor (let's admit it, sometimes it feels good when you're able to extract some measure of revenge). But the last time you did that, you almost cost the guy his job and livelihood by taking it to the forums instead of just quietly working things out. Just remember: what goes around, comes around.
The rattle you're hearing is from the camera mount. I don't hear it when driving so it doesn't bother me.
And yes, point taken. I didn't think it through with the last incident and it was dumb of me. My intentions were to only share my experience and it's the same with this time.
Old 10-28-13, 04:33 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
This. I've worked valet for 6 years at a similar "4 star/4 diamond" type of hotel. No way in hell would I ever valet my $8000, 92 SC300 with the manual trans. You'd be surprised at how many valets are idiots and don't know how to drive a manual but try anyways.

I have to ask you a few questions.

1. Was your car cosmetically damaged in any way?

2. Was any personal property stolen from your car?

3. Does your car drive exactly the same way as before you entered valet?

If you answered no, no, and yes to those questions, then you really don't have anything to ***** about. That valet obviously knew how to drive stick and did not ride your clutch.

All this being said, if you treat me like a douche when you check in, or stiff me on the in and the way out, you will receive extra special treatment.

The special treatment includes:

I will ride your clutch until it starts to smoke. Automatic, I will slam it into reverse at 5mph, then forwards at 5mph while its going backwards, then slam it into park while backing into the space. I NEVER speed in the garage.

Really you have to be extra special before I give you that type of treatment. Stiff me two or three times in one shift, your car is getting put through hell. If you talk down to me like a douche, your car is getting that extra special treatment. Really its all about your attitude as to how your car gets treated. If you say you are going to be quick and request your car to be kept up front for a few minutes or even an hour or two, I will generally give you the benefit of the doubt if you don't tip me in advance. Don't tip me in advance then come out an hour later and stiff me while I kept your car up front, you are on my ***** list.

If its a rental, I really don't see the point in breaking it for the next person. We do highlight the key tag for people who stiff us, if its a busy day and we have several keys in line, highlighted keys always get bumped to the back of the line, its a 10 minute wait vs a 2 minute wait if we're busy and we know you don't tip.

For those special people, in addition to tearing their car up if its their personal car, I always f^ck with their radio. Turn that thing all the way up to channel 40 if they have Satellite radio, that's the hardcore metal station. Then turn it off. If they don't have satellite radio, its AM 1140, all the way up, the Mexican music channel, then turn it off.

Just saying, if you are straight disrespectful to your valet, they will **** with you.
WOW! you definitely deserve to be fired from wherever you work at and NEVER work in customer service again.

Originally Posted by quick123
Wow...where does one start? I will lay this out as nicely as I can...as I am pretty much in the position your boss's boss would be in at my current job.

Others are 100% correct, you are in the service industry and nobody owes you a thing. If anything, you owe the people coming in to stay at the hotel your thanks, as without them there would be no need to employ valets and you would be out a job. If these people feel the need to give you a tip due to exceptional service, so be it. If they don't, then maybe you need to ask yourself what you could do to provide that customer with better service that brings out the tip.

And on my last note, if I ever found out that I had employees with attitudes like yours, I would fire you on the spot. This is exactly why customer service has eroded over the years, and even somewhere that provides excellent customer service is set up for failure due to people like you. I am sure that the OP got his aprehension of valets from people like you, and after this event will walk across a highway to avoid people like you.

Well done...SMH
Well said

Originally Posted by Sffd103
aron9000's post was the exact reason why many of us don't want to use valet. That's what's wrong with SOME young people these days. You EARN respect, not demand it!!! Maybe he needs to go back to look at grade school rules...."Treat others as you would like to be treated!"

Sorry to hear about this event. I would have asked to drive my own car WITH the valet.
Yep I don't use valet either. Anytime I go somewhere I know its required we take my girls car haha

Originally Posted by projectdna

Arent you basically calling OP an idiot for pointing out something obvious? I think OP has every right to make this issue public. His exhuast was scrapped after all so somebody has to pay for it. And if some valet guy is abusing other peoples cars he does deserve to lose his job. Its easy to say quietly work things out when this wasn't your car. OP hope you get this resolved

Quick Reply: Ever wonder what they do when you go through Valet?