IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

'08 IS250 will not start- No power - Battery is fully charged

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-13, 07:50 AM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default '08 IS250 will not start- No power - Battery is fully charged

Hello, last night I went to the store and when I got back in my car it would not start. The accessory lights all came on but the car would not even attempt to crank. I cycled through the start/stop switch on the dash but the car would not start. I left the car for a minute to call the wife and when I got back in and pressed start, it started right up. When I got home, I connected my battery charger and it was showing that the battery was at 95% capacity. I preceded to charge the battery anyway.

This morning, when I was getting ready to leave for work, I got in the car to start it. All the accessory lights turned on, the headlights turned on and the engine preceded to crank. The engine cranked over maybe two times and then everything just went dead. The car is completely dead as if the battery were removed from the vehicle so I am assuming I blew the main fuse. Does anyone know where the main fuse is located? How do you replace the main fuse? Also, can they be purchased at any auto parts store? The nearest dealership is 20 miles from my house (50 miles from my work) and I get off work after they close.

I have found one other forum where another IS250 owner found a burned up starter relay and blown main fuse. I haven't had a chance to look at the car yet but I am guessing the starter relay is a good place to begin troubleshooting. If it turns out my starter relay is burned up is that a likely indication that my starter is bad? Any other suggestions on where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Last edited by firelikeiy; 10-27-13 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-27-13, 08:11 AM
Machog
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its not the fuse, make sure the ground on the battery is tight and not corroded. A faulty ground on the battery could mimic the problem you have.

Machog
Old 10-27-13, 08:42 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

how old is the battery? Just because the battery shows good voltage doesnt mean it has the cranking amps it needs to start the engine, bring it to an autozone to get it load tested.
Old 10-27-13, 09:19 AM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
how old is the battery? Just because the battery shows good voltage doesnt mean it has the cranking amps it needs to start the engine, bring it to an autozone to get it load tested.
The battery is 2 years old. I hooked it up to a Schumacher battery charger/desulfator. It was showing 12.7V and 95% capacity. I charged it up to 100%. I know the charger automatically tests the battery to determine if it needs to desulfate it but I am not sure what method it is using to do this. I do not believe it is the battery however because there is no power at all. The car is completely dead.

Last edited by firelikeiy; 10-27-13 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-27-13, 09:22 AM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Machog
If its not the fuse, make sure the ground on the battery is tight and not corroded. A faulty ground on the battery could mimic the problem you have.

Machog
OK, I will try cleaning the terminals and inspect the connections. I did a visual last night and there was nothing but I will pull them off and look.

Also, is the main fuse considered the alternator fuse? I am at work and only have the owners manual. It shows a 150A fuse but then it also lists two other styles of fuses that can only be purchased from the dealer (Type C and Type D). It doesn't show where these fuses are.

Last edited by firelikeiy; 10-27-13 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-27-13, 01:58 PM
jsibayan
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by firelikeiy
OK, I will try cleaning the terminals and inspect the connections. I did a visual last night and there was nothing but I will pull them off and look.

Also, is the main fuse considered the alternator fuse? I am at work and only have the owners manual. It shows a 150A fuse but then it also lists two other styles of fuses that can only be purchased from the dealer (Type C and Type D). It doesn't show where these fuses are.
I had a similar problem. I was told it is the main (Bus) fuse under the hood. It's enclosed in a plastic clear cover. It's rectangular and long. Mine had one terminal burnt because I had someone install an amp and a subwoofer and the engine would not start. Push the button nothing. The remote open the doors, security system worked lights worked, but no start. Try looking into that fuse? Just my 2 cents....
Old 10-28-13, 10:07 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Do you remember how you remove that clear cover? I can't seem to see too much other than a nut tying it down. Do you remove that and it comes off? I have some other battery problem (in the other thread) and want to test out other fuses, but can't get that open.
Old 10-29-13, 12:48 PM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
The battery failed the load test. The sides of the battery are bulging as well. Thank you for your help! Because the car never struggled to crank I would have sworn it was something else.

Last edited by firelikeiy; 10-29-13 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-29-13, 09:58 PM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Default Still wont start!

OK, I replaced the battery because the other failed a load test. I just installed a new battery and the car wont start. It goes into auxiliary mode and the dashboard battery light is illuminated. Any ideas? I can hear the fuel pumps prime but the starter doesn't kick on.
Old 10-29-13, 10:12 PM
thekhmer
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

check all your fuses im pretty sure something is blown because the battery was toast
Old 10-30-13, 06:27 AM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

OK, it started. I read in another thread that the doors have to be closed when you start it for the first time after replacing the battery. I closed my doors and pressed start but the motor never cranked. I then shut the hood as well and it started right up! A big WTF on that one. It might have been a coincidence... I am wondering if the start button might be going bad. I don't remember having all these issues when the cars original battery went bad. Anyway, I started it several times to make sure everything is good and it appears to be. Thanks for all of the help!

Last edited by firelikeiy; 10-30-13 at 06:33 AM.
Old 09-03-14, 02:54 PM
binthere
Driver School Candidate

Default Same issue on my is250 today!

Hey everyone,

First time poster, long time reader =)

Had the same issue as the OP today. Shut the car off, when to turn it back on, heard a click and nothing. There was zero power. ie the hazards wouldn't turn on, seats wouldn't move...nothing!

Check the battery and it was perfect. Checked all fuses for power and the ones on the drivers side by the battery were glowing like a charm. The ones are the passenger side were noticeably dimmer.

Got it towed to my mechanic..after reading through the forums i suggested a fix I read elsewhere...he checked the main ground located underneath the batter for corrosion.

Sanded it down, cleaned off the firewall, cleaned off the bolt that connects the ground. Went to start the car up and voila, worked like a charm.

Thought I'd come back here and return the favor as without these forums the repair would have cost me alot more in diagnostics....luckily i only had to pay for the tow.

So all in all it was a corroded or poorly connected ground. Got me thinking that perhaps the car wash I go through twice a week now might have something to do with this....hope it doesn't happen again.

-R
Old 01-05-15, 01:22 PM
dtina
Driver School Candidate

My lexus started this issue a week ago. I went to my car, the doors unlocked when I touched the handle got it, stepped on the brake and the green light came on for me to push to start and the car turned on for a quick second and shut off, completely dead. We had to jump start it and I had to leave it connected on the other car for a good 10 minutes before the lights would come on in the car when i opened my door. We thought okay my battery died or whatever. a full week went on and recently this weekend it happened again but this time the car was completely dead and I could not turn it on, but the key worked to unlock?... We took the battery to advance auto part to check the battery, we got it fully charged. Came home installed the battery and the car didnt start. Had to jump start it again, then it finally came on but we didn't jump start it from the negative we did it from the ground? I guess is what my fiance says because he doesn't want to mess up with computer and having to restart and then having issues with the car some more. It started same issue had to wait 10 minutes before even trying to start. The car cranked a little but it started. took it around the block to help it charge. came back turn off the car and tried to turn it on and it wouldn't start... so we just left it because it was cold and already late. this morning I start the car and it comes on, a few hours later. I go and start the car and it starts for a sec and went dead? can anyone help? me on this?
Old 01-05-15, 01:26 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the battery is far more likely to be the culprit when your car doesnt start. I dont think I've ever replaced a main starter relay or fuse but I have replaced many batteries.
Old 01-05-15, 01:29 PM
dtina
Driver School Candidate

When we went to advance auto parts they charged the battery and told us the battery is good. and its basically was replaced not to long ago. I've read it could be from corrosion that needs to be cleaned?

Quick Reply: '08 IS250 will not start- No power - Battery is fully charged