IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Another my car got scratched at a dealership thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-13, 07:02 PM
circuitt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another my car got scratched at a dealership thread

Took my car in to Huntington Beach Toyota, since it's literally across the street, plus cheaper for a (Mobile 1 synthetic) oil change than at Lexus.. I left the lot, came home, started getting rid of the water spots, due to the half *** wash I got, and then Bam.. noticed a nice gouge/scratch on my right fender. I called the dealership, maybe 20 minutes after I left the dealership. Guy told me they document all scratches flaws, so they can't be held liable. but i told him that the scratch wasn't there before the oil change, basically calling me a liar and to call back Monday to speak to the manager. This is the second time I had this happen to me (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ealership.html) Do employees just HATE there jobs so bad they just do this **** on purpose or plain just don' t give a ****?

Seems like I am screwed since it's next to a tiny chip mark from freeway driving that was probably marked as damage, so they will just say it was already there. Now I am getting paranoid wondering if they even put Mobile One in.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ealership.html
Attached Thumbnails Another my car got scratched at a dealership thread-photo-2.jpg   Another my car got scratched at a dealership thread-photo-1.jpg  
Old 10-19-13, 07:25 PM
Raybean
Pole Position

things like this happen all the time even at the dealership where i work at. Then again you wanted to "cheap out" on service and that is probably what you got. good luck trying get them to fix that for you.
Old 10-19-13, 07:42 PM
circuitt
Pole Position

So paying 70 at Toyota is considered cheaping out? So if I changed it myself ? Is that super cheaping out ? Something worse happened when I didn't "cheap out" and actually went to Lexus.. Fact is that's 2 out of 2 hack job dealerships, who hire careless employees who treat other peoples property like ****.
Old 10-19-13, 08:02 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got to check before you leave. I doubt they will fix that. Accidents do happen. I've had my car scratched at the dealership to. Luckily my gf saw it.

I'm just curious. What's posting on the forum gonna do for you?
Old 10-19-13, 08:56 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's your word against theirs. Good luck but you shouldn't have left the dealer without checking it out before AND after.
Old 10-19-13, 09:28 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Those awful swirl marks are a good reason to never let the dealership touch your paint... but I guess that part doesn't bother you.

Sucks they put a nice big scratch to go with all the swirls.
Old 10-19-13, 09:39 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Pretty much has been said above.... you can't leave the dealer without inspecting your car. Further, you have to make sure you are there with them to document the car when you drop it off. That way there is no question what's new and old damage. If this happened to you once before, it should not have happened a second time.
Sorry for your situation and best of luck to you.
Old 10-19-13, 11:38 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would treat my visits as if you are going to rent a car, documentation before and after
Old 10-20-13, 02:34 PM
sthakor92
Driver

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Those awful swirl marks are a good reason to never let the dealership touch your paint... but I guess that part doesn't bother you.

Sucks they put a nice big scratch to go with all the swirls.

Do you know any good detailers in north florida? I need to get swirls removed from my paint and possibly opticoat the car
Old 10-21-13, 02:02 PM
7tisix
Driver School Candidate

Default I don't like bringing my car to anybody for anything

As a rule, if I have to bring my car in for service, I make sure it is spotless and a take fresh pictures of the whole vehicle with my phone. Any new damage is real noticeable on a super clean vehicle. I worked at a service shop right after high school years ago. I noticed if the car was real clean, it was treated better. A dirty car gets abused.
Old 10-21-13, 02:19 PM
circuitt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 7tisix
As a rule, if I have to bring my car in for service, I make sure it is spotless and a take fresh pictures of the whole vehicle with my phone. Any new damage is real noticeable on a super clean vehicle. I worked at a service shop right after high school years ago. I noticed if the car was real clean, it was treated better. A dirty car gets abused.
I hear yeah, you bet I'll be that annoying customer now, up the dealers *** the whole time. I should of learned the first time around. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Anyways seems they are avoiding me, so I am SoL. Anyone know of any good chip repair kits ? Sucks for them, when I decide to get a second vehicle "new Tacoma" looks like Ill be going else where. guy at the Toyota dealership told me " this is why I don't like servicing Lexus " so if I had an Eco box they would of not tossed a box of tools on my car? Anyways lesson learned !
Old 10-21-13, 02:30 PM
vapid2323
Pole Position

I have cameras in my car, its great for getting discounts after the lot porter takes your car for a 'test drive'
Old 10-21-13, 05:35 PM
ncsu-tc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sthakor92
Do you know any good detailers in north florida? I need to get swirls removed from my paint and possibly opticoat the car
I recently moved from SE Bama - so I can't help.
Old 10-21-13, 08:45 PM
delta136
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sthakor92
i would check autopia.org for reputable detailers (they have a whole section to find detailers)

or i would search yelp in your location for "opticoat". It's a good way of finding good detailers if customers are coming to them for opticoat and usually there are pictures of their work on their yelp page as well

best of luck
Old 10-21-13, 11:21 PM
tigerbalm
Driver School Candidate

After getting scratches in fairly new paint for a windshield replacement I've started taking picutes and video before I leave the car. Mainly around the fenders and hood area since employees don't use protective mats. Their buttons and belt buckles are the main culprit.

Quick Reply: Another my car got scratched at a dealership thread