IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

NO Drone Exhaust Setup (F-Sport)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-13, 11:45 AM
swift685
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO Drone Exhaust Setup (F-Sport)

So I just bought a 2008 IS250 AWD and immediately bolted up the F-Sport axle back only to be extremely disappointed with the amount of drone inside the cabin on the highway (which is my entire commute ).

The stock exhaust is already disposed of so that's not an option but I am looking into replacing the stock single resonator with a new Vibrant "Ultra Quiet" resonator (2.25" or 2.5"?)...

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...4e63512d69ee6d

And if that doesn't work, replacing the two secondary cats with the same resonator, making for THREE "Ultra Quiet" resonators. I don't care about it's performance I just want it to be drone free and look nice. Thoughts?
Old 10-14-13, 11:59 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

1) Shouldn't have gotten rid of the stock exhaust
2) If you just wanted looks, you should have just replaced your OEM tips with something like S2K AP2 tips and maintained the stock sound
3) Just buy a used stock exhaust and sell your F-Sport for a loss if it bothers you that much (or trade with someone for their stock + cash)
4) Turn your music up louder so you can't hear it

... the drone isn't really that bad at all IMO, my car sits right around 2000 RPMS at highway speed and I get just a little drone (M2 exhaust though, not F-Sport... I think F-Sport is a touch louder?)

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 10-14-13 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-14-13, 12:12 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you recently install the F-Sport? Give it a few weeks, it will quiet down considerably. The first time i started my car with the f sport and accelerated the whole interior rattled because of how loud it was. 2 weeks later, its become pretty quiet and confirmed by other people also so its not just my ears playing a trick.

If all else fails, like what zmcgovern said there are probably tons of people willing to trade you their stock exhaust + cash for your F Sport.

GL!
Old 10-14-13, 12:45 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm still confused why people put exhaust on the car and then don't like the "noise"

Yeah sell it/trade for stock exhaust and put tips on...
Old 10-14-13, 01:16 PM
DKnight350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by heyarms
I'm still confused why people put exhaust on the car and then don't like the "noise"
Quote of the day!

I have F-Sport and only think it is noticeable during acceleration. Maybe stay with it for a few weeks?
Old 10-14-13, 02:01 PM
swift685
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate the replies. But I'm no stranger to loud exhausts and there is a huge difference between noise under acceleration and straight up high-db DRONE when your foot barely touches the pedal on the highway.

Looks like I'm on my own if I choose to go down the custom exhaust route (which I will) and I will keep you all posted on my results.

The point here is if a lot of people are complaining about drone, then there is probably a drone problem lol so lets work to fix it without defaulting to, "go back to stock" because lets be real, once you put the F-Sport on it looks way to pretty to ever take off.
Old 10-14-13, 02:15 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the F Sport with the Invidia and there is small amount of drone.
I can't imagine just the exhaust by itself creating much drone.
It is probably due to the fact that it's technically not broken it yet
Old 10-14-13, 04:52 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long have you had the F-Sport exhaust on your car ?

It may take a while, but once you get used to it, it won't be much of a bother.

I used to think my Tanabe was on the loud side, but after a week or 2, it sounds like stock.

I also did some research before getting into an exhaust, I wanted something quieter but louder than stock. Tanabe is pretty good with minimal drone.
Old 11-15-13, 01:41 PM
PearlFocal
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the Tanabe and I couldn't stand the drone. Especally on the 3000 rpm and when 140km/h. I only had it for a week and I took them off. I'm currerently deciding on the F-sport but most people are staying it still has strong droning sound.
Old 11-15-13, 03:02 PM
mililani00
Pole Position

On my truck put super 44. I loveeeee the noise, that's even a plus if your girl is talking.... What I can't hear tell me later lol
Old 11-15-13, 11:50 PM
ms2619
Lead Lap

Ok first of all there is no done with F-Sport...maybe due to yours being new but on the highway there is 0 drone until you hit 80 and above and everyone that sat in my car including parents lawyers and friends say it's so quiet on highway, a drony exhaust is the hks hi power
Old 11-16-13, 05:01 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the only one I can guarantee with little to no Drone is the GReddy...i have the Greddy Spectrum with the Invidia mid-pipe and it's still quiet at most times even when stepping into it....
Old 11-16-13, 05:25 PM
DFig619
Driver

My Greddy SP elite has 0 drone, seems to of gotten a bit deeper since I got it. Highly recommended exhaust
Old 11-16-13, 06:56 PM
Acingteam
Intermediate

The more muffled the system is, the more drone you will have. I was in the same boat as you after installing my Greddy Evo3 exhaust. Then, I got rid of the resonator in the mid-pipe, and some of it went away.

But yes, I agree... I've had plenty of cars and experimented with a ton of different systems. This is one of the only cars that seems to have drone no matter what you do. And I don't think a stock exhaust with s2k tips looks as good as many cat-backs out there.

I, too, don't mind loud exhausts; but I hate when it drones through the cabin.
Old 11-17-13, 12:20 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

was the exhaust installed correctly. sometimes if you dont replace the gaskets, the drone is louder than normal. I installed my M2 the night I got out out of excitement but had some hardware missing. Was able to get it all up working properly but i had cabin drone. When I got all the missing hardware and replaced all the gaskets, the cabin drone went away. the OP should try making sure every thing is connected good

Quick Reply: NO Drone Exhaust Setup (F-Sport)