IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Xenon Depot HID and LED install issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-13, 03:42 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Xenon Depot HID and LED install issues

Here are the items I was told to order from XD's customer service and the issues I am having with them... Obviously they are closed since it is a Sunday so I am looking for any guidance/pointers to try before I put all of my OEM things back in and call them tomorrow looking for answers.

H11 Volt HID Digital+ HID Kits
Issues: Only the passenger side will light up. I have swapped the ballasts and the driver side still does not illuminate. This leads me to believe I have a faulty bulb. Anyone recommend trying something else?

9005 30W XenonDepot LED DRL Light Bulbs w/ DRL Module (I was told it will eliminate flickering)
Issues: I was told I need a "DRL Module" to eliminate flickering during normal operation. The bulbs do not work at all when the module is installed. When I install the bulbs without the module the ONLY work when I have the high beams switched on. I was under the impression that these bulbs would be my DRLs and flipping the high beam switch would do nothing? (ie I would loose the high beam function) Any suggestions on why the bulbs only work 1) without the "DRL module" and 2) when the high beams are turned on?

9006 / HB4 XenonDepot CREE LED Fog Light Bulbs
Issues: None - work perfectly.

Philips Blue Vision 194 T10 W5W LED Replacement Bulb
Issues: Only one bulb works. I switched the bulbs to either side and tried plugging them in different directions, but still only one works. I assume I have a faulty bulb.

Thanks in advance.
-Zach

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 10-28-13 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-13-13, 05:23 PM
MrFRJ
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you flip the connector ?
Old 10-13-13, 06:03 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

For the HIDs?

They only go on one way. There is a groove and slot that only allow for you to insert the connector onto the plug in one direction.
Old 10-14-13, 10:24 AM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

the philips bulbs will only work one way - polarity.. switch them around and they should work. as far as your volt kit goes.. I have the step up kit that has the relays as well so i'm not sure what your problem might be.. make sure your ground connection is good and solid.. i've had my bulbs flicker because the ground was loose.. i loctited it and its been fine since. You might need a new bulb or ballast i don't know. I've been looking into the DRL switch myself so i can't help out with that one.
Old 10-14-13, 11:00 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by SeanO
the philips bulbs will only work one way - polarity.. switch them around and they should work. as far as your volt kit goes.. I have the step up kit that has the relays as well so i'm not sure what your problem might be.. make sure your ground connection is good and solid.. i've had my bulbs flicker because the ground was loose.. i loctited it and its been fine since. You might need a new bulb or ballast i don't know. I've been looking into the DRL switch myself so i can't help out with that one.
As I mentioned - I tried the Phillips bulbs both directions and on each side of the car... still only one worked. I assume I have a faulty bulb.

As far as the HIDs are concerned, I have the Volt kit that does not have the relay like the Xtreme kit. I simply have a ballast and a bulb. Only one side works, regardless of which ballast is used (ie I switched ballasts from the working bulb to the non-working bulb and it still did not work).
Old 10-14-13, 04:33 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Sounds like plenty of issues.... I am also going through some issue of my own with a bad ballast on the Xtreme HID kit from XenonDepot.

Basically swapping the bulb that was not working to the side that was working ended up not working... this would point this issue to the bulb.

For me, swapping the bad ballast with the side that is working ended up not working. Ruled out the ballast was issue, now I'm waiting for XenonDepot to send me a replacment ballast.
Old 10-16-13, 06:14 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Figured I'd update this in case anyone stumbles upon these issues in the future.

H11 Volt HID Digital+ HID Kits
Original Issue: Only the passenger side will light up. I have swapped the ballasts and the driver side still does not illuminate. This leads me to believe I have a faulty bulb. Anyone recommend trying something else?
Solution: Connector on ballast that connects to the OEM wiring needed to be re-pinned so the polarity was opposite of how I received it (ie switch positive and negative wires in the connector). Bulb fired right up once polarity had been switched. Took 1 minute.

9005 30W XenonDepot LED DRL Light Bulbs w/ DRL Module
Original Issue: I was told I need a "DRL Module" to eliminate flickering during normal operation. The bulbs do not work at all when the module is installed. When I install the bulbs without the module the ONLY work when I have the high beams switched on. I was under the impression that these bulbs would be my DRLs and flipping the high beam switch would do nothing? (ie I would loose the high beam function) Any suggestions on why the bulbs only work 1) without the "DRL module" and 2) when the high beams are turned on?
Solution: Both capacitors needed to be re-pinned to switch the polarity of the male pins. Bulbs fired right up once this was done. Took 5 minutes.
New Issue: Driver side bulb "flickers" when illuminated. I assume the capacitor is faulty. See video below.

9006 / HB4 XenonDepot CREE LED Fog Light Bulbs
Still work perfectly.

Philips Blue Vision 194 T10 W5W LED Replacement Bulb
Original Issue: Only one bulb works. I switched the bulbs to either side and tried plugging them in different directions, but still only one works. I assume I have a faulty bulb.
Solution: One bulb still does not work, will ask for replacement from XD.
Old 10-28-13, 06:38 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

IT was nice working with you bud! Thanks for taking the time to post up detailed info on the board!

Steve
Old 10-28-13, 07:07 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
IT was nice working with you bud! Thanks for taking the time to post up detailed info on the board!

Steve
Thanks again for all of the excellent help!

Update: Received new capacitor for DRL flickering issue and new parking light bulb within a few short days of reporting the problem to Steve. All lights function as expected now and look great!

note: this image was taken before installing the replacement 6000k parking light on the passenger side. Lights look great!

Planning on taking more pics sometime in the near future!

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 10-28-13 at 07:10 AM.
Old 10-28-13, 07:57 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Awesome pic! The car looks sooooooooo clean!
Old 10-28-13, 09:35 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Update on my part too:

Steve from XenonDepot is awesome with the support. He quickly sent out a replacement ballast because the first one did not work. Once I swapped the ballast, I still had some issue with the bulb.

I can also second the reversing polarity at the bulb where it connects to the oem connector. Once polarity has been swapped, everything is working fine now.

Thanks Steve @XenonDepot
Old 10-28-13, 11:39 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Thanks guys!
Old 10-28-13, 11:59 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

wow your car looks really clean!
Old 10-28-13, 01:32 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
wow your car looks really clean!
I have a self diagnosed "addiction to gloss"... and being a professional high end detailer helps too
Old 10-28-13, 02:02 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

wish you were local!

Quick Reply: Xenon Depot HID and LED install issues