IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Chirping noise

Old 10-16-13, 12:56 PM
Gville350

Received 428 Likes on 383 Posts

^Cheap DIY trick on the belt is using soap on the ribs while running.
Old 10-16-13, 03:21 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
^Cheap DIY trick on the belt is using soap on the ribs while running.
You are just increasing the slippage, masking the problem.

Last edited by Noeh; 10-16-13 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-17-13, 04:04 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
Have a link to the part you purchased to replace just the tensioner pulley itself and not the entire assembly?
Mine sounds just like the video at idle,...above that quiet.

it is 6203DUL18 NSK bearing.
Old 10-18-13, 08:22 AM
7tisix
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb My observations and theory of the chirp / squeak

I experience this also on 07 is350. Same noise as heard in the YouTube video.

Here are my observations. I used belt dressing and it seemed to work at first, but a day later the noise was back. I replaced my belt and it doesn't happen as much. It seems to happen after I drive pretty hard for a while when it is hot outside. By time time I get the hood open, it stops now.

It happens with the A/C off too. Will stop when I turn off the A/C sometimes, but only because the RPMs change slightly.

Here is my theory. The temperature under the hood (not water temp) rises causing the molecules of the belt and tensioner spring to separate. The belt stretches slightly and the tensioner spring weakens slightly when hot. When this condition occurs, there is less tension of the belt on all the moving components, so those components (bearings, etc) are subject to less pressure against them. I believe a new tensioner spring will completely solve my issue since I have already changed the belt.

Can the tensioner spring be strengthened or replaced without buying the whole assembly? Better yet, is there a belt available that is slightly shorter?

Last edited by 7tisix; 10-18-13 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Added that last question
Old 10-18-13, 09:08 AM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

For the noise in the video on page 1. I am 110% sure it is the pulley on the alternator. Just take some WD40 and pop the cap off the front of the pulley of the alternator and spray it in there. Noise will be gone.
Old 10-19-13, 07:27 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MIA_LEX
For the noise in the video on page 1. I am 110% sure it is the pulley on the alternator. Just take some WD40 and pop the cap off the front of the pulley of the alternator and spray it in there. Noise will be gone.
Interesting, my Lexus mechanic said it could be the alternator pulley because Lexus started using the same design as Chrysler, GM and FORD because it allows the alternator to freewheel and save gas

I'm gonna give your idea shot

Sorry for the super large pics Anyway I took off the alternator drive pulley plastic cover and it was filled with rust dust! I Blew out the rust dust from the gap between the pulley and drive with a compressor in short bursts,....there was allot of dust as you can see from the engine compartment/hoses. I then sprayed some WD40 into the gap from the top so it would rundown into the mechanism. Started the engine,...and there was NO noise! While the engine was running and being extra careful I sprayed some more WD40 into the gap. I will report back next week after driving through the underground parking at work to let you know the results,...but so far no BIRDS CHIRPING!

You will need a very thin screw driver or similar to pry the cover off. A compressor or a couple cans of compressed air, WD40 and some brake cleaner if you get some over spray on the pullies or belts. DON'T just spray WD40 into the gap without blowing out the rust as it will turn into a nice abrasive mixture

You may also want to spray some dry film lubricant in the gap once you've confirmed the noise is gone because WD40 is a Water Dispersant not a long life lubricant!
Attached Thumbnails Chirping noise-img-20131019-00003.jpg   Chirping noise-img-20131019-00004.jpg   Chirping noise-img-20131019-00005.jpg   Chirping noise-img-20131019-00006.jpg  

Last edited by clubfoot; 10-19-13 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-22-13, 02:15 PM
7tisix
Driver School Candidate

Mine sounds like it's coming from that general area. Thanks Mia_Lex and clubfoot. I'll post my findings once I get time to oil it up. Hope my theory is wrong!

Last edited by 7tisix; 10-22-13 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-22-13, 04:14 PM
7tisix
Driver School Candidate

Default Youtube video with my chirping noise

Created this video a few days ago.

It has been way worse than this before.

Another ....

Last edited by 7tisix; 10-22-13 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-22-13, 04:44 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

In my case the blowing out of the rust behind the alternator pulley cover and some WD40 cured the chirping,...two days now and counting
Old 10-23-13, 07:24 AM
AussieAuto
Rookie

Originally Posted by clubfoot
Mine sounds just like the video at idle,...above that quiet.

it is 6203DUL18 NSK bearing.

Bearing times 2, as they are two side by side in the pulley with a sleeve inside...
Old 10-23-13, 07:33 AM
AussieAuto
Rookie

Clubfoot, seems like you have nailed it. with all that dust in there is a sure sign that it is wearing, the clutch assembly is constantly engaging and disengaging which causes wear and therefore dust, and in such a confined area there is nowhere for the dust to go. Blow it out lube it up but not too much lube and it should be good to go!!!
Old 10-23-13, 08:37 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AussieAuto
Clubfoot, seems like you have nailed it. with all that dust in there is a sure sign that it is wearing, the clutch assembly is constantly engaging and disengaging which causes wear and therefore dust, and in such a confined area there is nowhere for the dust to go. Blow it out lube it up but not too much lube and it should be good to go!!!
At least for another six years
Old 10-28-13, 10:30 AM
gerlachnes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gerlachnes
I'm currently experiencing the same issue. I'm really hoping a new belt will solve the problem. The good news, I guess, is that right now my 2007 IS250 is at the dealership for the carbon build-up CSP fix. Hopefully they will be able to at least diagnose the problem and let me know exactly what I need to do to correct it. I'll report back with my results.
So it seems that the noise I was experiencing was slightly different than what most of you have been dealing with, but the dealership identified the cause of the noise as a leaking water pump. Sadly I'm about a year out of warranty, so they charged me $450 to replace it. The goods news is after the carbon build-up CSP service was completed and the water pump was replaced, I basically have a brand new engine and the noise has stopped.
Old 10-28-13, 11:54 AM
Gville350

Received 428 Likes on 383 Posts

^Far from a new motor, but glad you found the solution to your chirping noise.

I'm still left wondering why in hell the water pumps on these 2IS models are not recalled too; it's the most widely mentioned issue by FAR on here!
Old 10-29-13, 01:12 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

^^ Agreed. I am lucky so far I still have the original WP.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chirping noise