IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2008 Lexus IS250 Burning Oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-13, 04:29 PM
moses0324
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Lexus IS250 Burning Oil

So i did some searching on here...and only found 2 threads about burning oil. Are any of you guys experiencing this? i have a 2008 with 106k miles and i go thru about a quart of oil every 4k miles (just before my every 5k oil change). When it initially happened i thought the dealership didnt put enough oil in....but it happened again. and made sure to check the dipstick right after the oil change. it was dead center.
Old 10-12-13, 04:49 PM
GSKaplan
Rookie

There is a TSIB for this condition and a SC (service campaign) for misfires. Have you experienced any misfires after heavy acceleration? If so, you vehicle may be applicable for the ZLA, New pistons Pistons rings, and engine seals.
Old 10-12-13, 04:51 PM
GSKaplan
Rookie

Just to clarify the ZLA doesn't cover engine consumption, but it will for misfires WHICH ARE RELATED. I don't understand the bean counters logic, but I understand the mechanics of the engine.
Old 10-12-13, 04:58 PM
moses0324
Driver

Originally Posted by GSKaplan
There is a TSIB for this condition and a SC (service campaign) for misfires. Have you experienced any misfires after heavy acceleration? If so, you vehicle may be applicable for the ZLA, New pistons Pistons rings, and engine seals.
i read something about has to be over 1 qt per 600 miles consumption? any truth to this?
Old 10-12-13, 06:32 PM
GSKaplan
Rookie

If the engine consumes more than 1qt in a 1200 mile period than the TSIB is applicable and the correction would be piston and ring replacement. However, you would have to still be under regular factory warranty.

APPLICABLE WARRANTY
• This repair is covered under the Lexus Powertrain Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 72
months or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.
• Warranty application is limited to occurrence of the specified condition described in this
bulletin.

Now the ZLA is a continuation of this bulletin, but it only covers the misfire. It will perform the same correction after your warranty has expired, but only if the dealer can duplicate a misfire and record it to send to lexus for approval.

by performing this procedure

Confirm and duplicate the condition by performing the following:
1. Prior to starting the vehicle, start recording an Engine “All Data” snapshot on the Techstream
2. If the engine is cold, start and allow the vehicle to reach operating temperature while monitoring
for misfire activity
3. Once the engine is at operating temperature per the “Coolant Temp” data parameter, repeat
the following steps:
4. Increase engine speed to 4000 RPM and hold for 30 seconds
5. After 30 seconds, momentarily rev the engine above 4000 RPM and allow the engine to
return to idle
6. Monitor the data list for misfire activity once the engine returns to idle
7. Perform steps a) through c) up to 10 cycles maximum or until a multiple misfire count
event is duplicated
8. Create a TA case and attach the Techstream file with any relevant data
9. Contact the TAS hotline for further assistance prior to starting any repairs
Old 10-12-13, 06:38 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

My '09 has always burned some oil both when stock and now boosted. It's never had any of the carbon build up issues so I don't really worry about it if it still runs well and mileage is still the same. Just be mindful of my oil level. Maybe I should be more worried but ehhhh... Lol
Old 10-12-13, 06:48 PM
GSKaplan
Rookie

Originally Posted by heyarms
My '09 has always burned some oil both when stock and now boosted. It's never had any of the carbon build up issues so I don't really worry about it if it still runs well and mileage is still the same. Just be mindful of my oil level. Maybe I should be more worried but ehhhh... Lol
Being boosted and driving hard can actually prevent build up. Since it has direct injection fuel isn't washing over the intake valves. But with boost and high air flow the carbon doesn't have time to settle as much. I can always tell the way people drive by these intake valves.
Old 10-12-13, 10:19 PM
liqB
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive been burning a quart every 3-4k but I change my oil at 5, top off around 3500.
Old 10-13-13, 08:58 AM
moses0324
Driver

Sounds like my car is normal, which is sad in this modern day of car technology...I shouldn't have to carry a couple qts oil in the trunk of my car.
Old 10-13-13, 06:32 PM
ncsu-tc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moses0324
Sounds like my car is normal, which is sad in this modern day of car technology...I shouldn't have to carry a couple qts oil in the trunk of my car.
That is the truth!
Old 10-14-13, 08:03 AM
vapid2323
Pole Position

Originally Posted by moses0324
Check your timing chain cover, that can create a slow leak that would cause this. But if you do find it to be an issue, its not cheap to fix.
Old 10-14-13, 12:58 PM
92fs
Driver School Candidate

I had the exact same issue and the dealer rebuilt my engine. Mine is a 2008 IS 250
Old 10-14-13, 06:54 PM
EnkieIS250
Driver School Candidate

Has anybody mentioned it could also be the PCV check-valve on the valve cover. My 2006 IS250 has always consumed oil, with 28k when purchased (not as much as stated above), but I'm pretty sure its doing it through the PCV check-valve. BTW the motor is still well within specification standards now @ 75k. But I might just be installing a catch-can.

Last edited by EnkieIS250; 10-14-13 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-14-13, 07:13 PM
GSKaplan
Rookie

Originally Posted by EnkieIS250
Has anybody mentioned it could also be the PCV check-valve on the valve cover. My 2006 IS250 has always consumed oil, with 28k when purchased (not as much as stated above), but I'm pretty sure its doing it through the PCV check-valve. BTW the motor is still well within specification standards now @ 75k. But I might just be installing a catch-can.

This is the logic in the progression....

Pistons and piston rings have excessive clearance and cause too much blow by ---> increased crank case pressure cause PCV to not operate well -----> Oil is then also consumed through the intake via PCV------> OILY air is then blown all over the intake valves -------> Direct Injection doesn't allow fuel (the natural cleaner) to enter through the intake valves therefore do not get "washed" ----> Carbon build up then accumulates and then hangs open the valve-------> Hang open valve causes misfire..

This is the logic why the campaign ONLY covers misfire and not consumption.

.....there isn't any.

Catch cans fill up fast be conscious of the level. I have performed ZLAs on vehicles with a catch can, generally they are over flowing and sucking in anyway.
Old 10-14-13, 08:27 PM
moses0324
Driver

Originally Posted by 92fs
I had the exact same issue and the dealer rebuilt my engine. Mine is a 2008 IS 250
We're you still under warranty? I'm faced with not being under warranty as I have 106k miles. Only thing I can hope for is a misfiring engine.

Quick Reply: 2008 Lexus IS250 Burning Oil