IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cam gear recall released!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-14, 07:23 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

finally did it this weekend, put my car in Friday morning, got it back Saturday afternoon. haven't noticed anything different so far. i'm kind of surprised all my radio presets are still there, aren't they supposed to unplug the battery or something? they gave me a '14 IS250 as loaner, it was alright i guess, nothing excited about.
Old 01-19-14, 08:59 PM
Dukeaudio
Intermediate

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Just a heads-up. Brought my '06 IS350 in for cam actuator recall here in AZ but they couldn't verify my VIN since I bought it in HI, thus couldn't do the repairs. After the wasted trip (160mi round trip) I spoke to Lexus.com Customer Assistance and they verified that cars purchased outside the 48 states they'd have to load vehicle info in prior to recall repairs. Pretty pissed at the dealership for not knowing what to do but it is what it is.
Old 01-20-14, 08:38 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
finally did it this weekend, put my car in Friday morning, got it back Saturday afternoon. haven't noticed anything different so far. i'm kind of surprised all my radio presets are still there, aren't they supposed to unplug the battery or something? they gave me a '14 IS250 as loaner, it was alright i guess, nothing excited about.
Am driving the '14 IS250 now for a loaner for my SC Airbag recall, after 350, no way you will go to or back to 250. $42K sticker price, I say too steep FWIW.
Old 01-20-14, 01:21 PM
Gr33nHrn3t
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody been noticing fuel vapor odors in the engine bay?
I took my 06 IS 350 to the dealership that did the cam gear recall and said that my main fuel tube line (part# 7725153050) was the culprit. My SA said the part would take one month to arrive because it is on back-order!
So, now I'm stuck with a 2014 ES 300h, which is a nifty car but not my cup of tea...
Old 01-20-14, 03:39 PM
modlife
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just dropped mine off for the TSIB - all they had was a 2014 es350 - I want my car back!!!! Lol - the new interiors suck! I feel like I'm sitting in a walmart "pleather" recliner, driving a camry with soft suspension. Ugh - what a depressing car....
Old 01-20-14, 04:47 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by modlife
I just dropped mine off for the TSIB - all they had was a 2014 es350 - I want my car back!!!! Lol - the new interiors suck! I feel like I'm sitting in a walmart "pleather" recliner, driving a camry with soft suspension. Ugh - what a depressing car....
The es is an awesome car. It's just not what you want. If you hate it so much take it back and walk to work.
Old 01-20-14, 04:52 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by iRock
The es is an awesome car. It's just not what you want. If you hate it so much take it back and walk to work.
Haha, that's a bit harsh, isn't it? Sounds like modlife would really like his IS back, and not necessarily making disparaging comments regarding Lexus as a whole.
Old 01-20-14, 07:55 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Uda880
Haha, that's a bit harsh, isn't it? Sounds like modlife would really like his IS back, and not necessarily making disparaging comments regarding Lexus as a whole.
Little bit lol but I just hate it when people talk bad about cars because they're being ignorant. Every car isn't gonna drive like the IS.
Old 01-20-14, 10:06 PM
modlife
Rookie

Yeah, I've owned a lot of "awesome" cars - from a '23 t bucket to '64 impala to Cadillac cts-v to Porsche boxster to SC300 to Audi a4 v6 to my IS350 - one of my favorites so far. The ES hardly qualifies. I really don't know who would enjoy that car. And it's not a Lexus bashing thing - I bought my wife an RX last year and I still love it - in fact, it's half the reason I started looking at Lexus again before this latest buy...

Last edited by modlife; 01-20-14 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-20-14, 10:08 PM
modlife
Rookie

Little bit lol but I just hate it when people talk bad about cars because they're being ignorant. Every car isn't gonna drive like the IS.
Again - I don't expect it be like the IS, but it really does feel like a Camry with fake leather and softer suspension.
Old 01-20-14, 11:15 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Again - I don't expect it be like the IS, but it really does feel like a Camry with fake leather and softer suspension.
We got you, it does share the same platform. Not the same sporty feel as an IS, I'm sure.
Old 01-21-14, 03:22 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Yeah, I've owned a lot of "awesome" cars - from a '23 t bucket to '64 impala to Cadillac cts-v to Porsche boxster to SC300 to Audi a4 v6 to my IS350 - one of my favorites so far. The ES hardly qualifies. I really don't know who would enjoy that car. And it's not a Lexus bashing thing - I bought my wife an RX last year and I still love it - in fact, it's half the reason I started looking at Lexus again before this latest buy...
That's great

The point is enjoy the car for what it's built for. It's built like that for a reason. When I get an ES I love it. It's a nice change. Obviously I like the IS more. That's why I bought it.
Old 01-21-14, 03:46 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

I agree with you on this and the ES is one of the reasons Lexus having a hard time breaking out of the image of not being a true luxury brand ( again, this is just my humble opinion). However, the is is Lexus number one selling vehicle. In 2013, they sold more than 72,500 vehicles (vs. 35,000 of the IS) and the numbers have been consistence for many years.
So, the ES might not be that desireable to you (and me) but there are many many people willing to buy it (with much higher premium over the Camry).
Old 01-21-14, 11:49 AM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the same problem man please tell me what they do for you, because i took it in they say the throttle body needed cleaning and i need new battery but i still have the idle issue, the idle issue will go away if you turn on headlight or ac it has to be something electrical.

Originally Posted by Tarrant64
Me again, got my car back. Dropped it off around 7:30 this morning, they were done by 3. Idle is a little rough, car shifts a little weird, but I'll give it a couple days and see what happens. I'm a little thrown because I was in an ES300h and it was a little too smooth for me.

Also got my oil changed as well and tires rotated ($140). Overall, happy with the service. I believe the total cost for the recall covered under warranty was in the neighborhood of $1,350. Have to love warranties.

Unfortunately they weren't able to reproduce the popping noise behind my head unit so I'll need to see if I can do that myself. It's pretty consistent so I was a little surprised they weren't able to drive it around to hear it.
Old 01-22-14, 07:48 PM
modlife
Rookie

Got my car back today and got lucky. The dealer curbed my car, scraping the bottom right side of the bumper and offered to fix for free, but I asked about painting a lip instead and they agreed.

They also got something on one of the headlights that sort of looks like brake fluid or something and offered to order a new pair. THEN, he asked about condensation in my RX headlights and said to bring it in and he'd get them replaced as well. Oh, and they took care of an oil change for me gratis.

I love Lexus! I swear if they keep going above and beyond I'll never buy from another manufacturer. Had this have happened with my Audi, that dealer would have probably offered to sell me touch up paint at a discount...

Oh, and the car idles quieter now for sure, especially cold at the higher idle...

-josh

Quick Reply: Cam gear recall released!