IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cam gear recall released!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-13, 10:17 PM
P Rock
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by embolism
really? I didn't like the interior when I sat in one at the dealer. The console seems really huge now and was plain black plastic...

I'll take my 2is 350 over a 3is 250 all day long
Oh I'd take my 2gen 350 over a 3gen 250 all day as well....I'm just saying it made me think of a 3gen 350 due to the new, updated interior. Heated steering wheel, better seats, fatter steering wheel, nav screen placed higher and closer to the windshield (line of sight), sliding touch controls for temperature, updated nav interface and features. Loved those upgrades.
Old 12-26-13, 07:22 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

No negative impact on Can Gear recall yet...crossing fingers.
Old 12-29-13, 06:01 AM
DaleDoback
Driver School Candidate

I finally got my car back, it took them 2 days, one of which they didnt even work on it I think. They did have 1 ISF loaner but it was checked out. So they put me in a 2014 IS250. There seems to be way too much going on in this interior, from the shelve on the dash by the display, 2 wheels to control audio/menu functions and driving functions. The 2IS seems to have a much nicer layout, but 2014 is still a nice ride.

During the recall I asked to get a few things done while it was there but I didn't follow through because of the cost:

R/R spark plugs: $245
Driver side molding or outer window wipe strips - front $185 and rear $156 (the black sticker on the molding was coming up)
He also mentioned "Brake fluid is getting dark" $119

Total $705

That's completely ridiculous, but I pretty much expected it from the dealer. The did fill it up with gas and washed it.
Attached Thumbnails Cam gear recall released!-recall.png  
Old 12-29-13, 06:35 AM
DaleDoback
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by P Rock
I was in love with my IS350.......that is until they gave me a 2014 IS250 as a loaner during this recall. Now the interior in my 2008 IS350 feels really dated
Now I can't get the thoughts of picking up a 2014 IS350 out of my head. Please tell me something about the 2gen that will get these thoughts out of my head!
Here are a few things I noticed, just being really picky at this point:

The 2 ***** on the center console, just doesn't look right to me
The engine start button is in a weird place, its too high on the dash
The clock should be digital, this isn't a old man caddy and aint nobody got time to read that.
The picnic table on the dash <eat lunch here>
Also the fan for the ventilated seats is much louder

The dealer also checked the loaner with a fine toothed comb so I didnt want anything to happen to it of course. I went out for lunch during work and parked away from everyone and I come out and older lady parked her mini van right next to me, at least I could still open my door to get in. The car had about 2400 miles on it.
Attached Thumbnails Cam gear recall released!-cam00146.jpg   Cam gear recall released!-cam00144.jpg   Cam gear recall released!-cam00145.jpg   Cam gear recall released!-cam00141.jpg  
Old 12-29-13, 05:23 PM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

Which FLdealer Daledoback?
Old 12-29-13, 05:46 PM
P Rock
Driver

Originally Posted by DaleDoback
Here are a few things I noticed, just being really picky at this point:

The 2 ***** on the center console, just doesn't look right to me
The engine start button is in a weird place, its too high on the dash
The clock should be digital, this isn't a old man caddy and aint nobody got time to read that.
The picnic table on the dash <eat lunch here>
Also the fan for the ventilated seats is much louder
I didn't have the second **** in my loaner. I had a mouse type controller that I ended up liking. It had a little hand rest next to it and it was positioned quite nicely and was a good place to rest my hand.

I do agree the start stop button feels high but that may be because we're so used to it being lower. If it was high in the 2gen IS and was low in the 3gen, I'd probably say it feels too low just because of what I'm used to.

The clock should have some kind of option of digital or analog similar to that fancy instrument cluster in the F-sport. The analog is classy in a Bentley-esque way. I'm one of those strange visual people who prefers shapes over numbers so I actually prefer the analog. The dash is very similar to the LFA...definitely a plus to me to be similar to that car in any way since I'ma huge LFA fan. The seats were MUCH more comfortable and I thought the seat vent was actually quieter. The nav screen closer to the windshield was my favorite upgrade. No need to take your eyes too far off the road. Heated steering wheel was a big winner living here in Ohio.
Old 12-29-13, 05:49 PM
DaleDoback
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by s6 4rings
Which FLdealer Daledoback?
Its in Winter Park actually off Semoran / University, 305 North Semoran Blvd.

Are you in Orlando as well?
Old 12-29-13, 07:33 PM
magnuscat
Rookie

Dropped mine off midday Friday and picked it up yesterday afternoon. Also ad them replace the actuator motor for the passenger side mirror as it wasn't working, under warranty.

All is good. No noticed change in performance. If there is any at all, I am sure it is because the battery was disconnected and it has to somewhat relearn. Besides new gear I am happy to have new valve cover gaskets, which are always a wear item on virtually all aging cars. They all seem to leak at some point. As well as other new gaskets and hoses.
Old 12-30-13, 12:10 AM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

Did anyone notice the steering wheels felt a lot tighter or am I dreaming?
Old 12-30-13, 06:07 AM
LexusIS954
Rookie

My is250 is at Lexus of Orlando getting the cam gears done right now. All they had was a bunch if es350s for loaners.
Old 12-30-13, 07:42 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fyi, after a couple weeks of driving, my mileage has come back down to 11.5L/100km.

They told me they didn't disconnect the battery during my recall but in addition to the crazy mileage readings I also now have to disable the seat belt alarm again so they must have disconnected it.

Damn, I'd forgotten how annoying it is!
Old 12-30-13, 01:00 PM
magnuscat
Rookie

Originally Posted by embolism
fyi, after a couple weeks of driving, my mileage has come back down to 11.5L/100km.

They told me they didn't disconnect the battery during my recall but in addition to the crazy mileage readings I also now have to disable the seat belt alarm again so they must have disconnected it.

Damn, I'd forgotten how annoying it is!
If you had to reset your radio presets, they disconnected the battery, Considering the work done during the recall I can't imagine not disconnecting the battery,
Old 12-30-13, 04:55 PM
DaleDoback
Driver School Candidate

I didn't have to reset the radio presets or hack the seat belt alarm again, so I guess the didn't disconnect the battery. I know they have a device that they can hook up to retain the memory via ODB II connector, usually used when replacing a battery to retain settings.
Old 12-31-13, 07:01 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by magnuscat
If you had to reset your radio presets, they disconnected the battery, Considering the work done during the recall I can't imagine not disconnecting the battery,
hmm, need to check that. Don't listen to the radio often. But my homelink still works.
Old 01-01-14, 11:47 AM
Uber350
Driver School Candidate

Anyone notice that the 2014, or maybe it happened before 2014, but paddle shift mode allows you to select the gear as opposed to limiting the gear. On my 09, I pick the highest gear it can shift to with the paddles, in the 14, the gear I chose was the gear it stayed in, it wouldn't down shift.

Quick Reply: Cam gear recall released!