IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cam gear recall released!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-13, 07:00 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default .............

My 06 IS350 fell into the vin range to get the cam fixed. Took it to my local Lex dealer last Thursday 11.7.13 and got 3 recalls done; wiper nut, trunk release and cam. Took them less than 4 hrs to do.

I rarely had the ratlle I may have heard it maybe twice or so since buying the car a few years ago.

I am happy to say everything went well and no issues to report from any of the fixes.

Car feels the same.

I did had an issue with the loaner they gave me a 2012 IS250. The car was beyond filthy inside and out like it was sitting at a farm.....it even had pine cones laying on the wiper rest area. I was in a hurry and had no time to mess around so I drove it as is for the day. I did received a follow up call from the service manager who I then reported the issue to and he said he will address it with everyone and that it should have never happened.

Oh well I gave them an 7 /10 so they have work to do.
Old 11-18-13, 08:21 AM
Gr33nHrn3t
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody know if this recall involves removing the air intake tube/box?
When I got my car back I noticed the top part of airbox tube was bent and immediately blamed them for tying the clamps too tight.
Old 11-18-13, 10:32 AM
g2bme
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Letxen3
i have a 2008 IS250 with 58,000 miles and going to take it in tomorrow regarding the rattle/ clatter noise which last a couple of seconds, comes from under hood upon start up, its erratic does it at different times not specific to engine being hot or cold, noise is unpredictable. i have a certified warranty so it should be covered no charge right?
the recall "only" affects the 350's, however there is a TSB for 2006-2007, which was supposedly updated to the 2008 models as well but never found the update. I did find the TSB for the 2006-2007 startup rattle. You can show them that and see if they'll do the recall. If not, then it's all by "if they can duplicate the problem". I don't believe this is the case for the 350's...if it falls within a VIN range, they can get it done with no paper proof.
Old 11-18-13, 11:54 AM
howdybob22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSKaplan
no your absolutely right, but the engineers are still mum as to the exact correction they did on the new gears. Just like they were in the reason for the rattle the internal set pin was a far as I got for an explanation. But I think they upgraded the housing bolts as wellon this new gear and possibly the set pin. I tried everything to get one of these open and see.
Is this really related to the startup rattle? I thought this was supposed to be only in the early 2nd gen IS (2006-2008) and supposed to be fixed on newer 2nd gen IS 2010 and newer. Anyway, I had the rattle issue fixed, and it never came back. Kinda weird to have them fix the same thing twice, but I will bring it in anyway.

Regards,
Old 11-18-13, 12:56 PM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gr33nHrn3t
Does anybody know if this recall involves removing the air intake tube/box?
When I got my car back I noticed the top part of airbox tube was bent and immediately blamed them for tying the clamps too tight.
Do you have f-sport or regular intake tube? Just curious because I know the F-sport one is a little easier to bend and if you has yours bent by the dealership I will be changing to stock before I get mine done.
Old 11-18-13, 01:02 PM
Gr33nHrn3t
Driver

Originally Posted by SeanIS350
Do you have f-sport or regular intake tube? Just curious because I know the F-sport one is a little easier to bend and if you has yours bent by the dealership I will be changing to stock before I get mine done.
I got the Joe-Z intake tube however I got a call from Lexus after complaining to corporate that they couldn't help me out because they didn't have to remove the intake....which means I might have tightened the clamp too hard? I know I didn't though...
Old 11-18-13, 02:32 PM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gr33nHrn3t
I got the Joe-Z intake tube however I got a call from Lexus after complaining to corporate that they couldn't help me out because they didn't have to remove the intake....which means I might have tightened the clamp too hard? I know I didn't though...
Thanks I will be removing my F-sport and replacing with stock before my recall then just in case.

Happy to report that the recall is finally available in Canada as well!!! Got my appointment booked for Nov 28th at Downtown Lexus in Toronto... Hoping for a 2014 loaner
Old 11-21-13, 07:11 AM
LexusIS954
Rookie

I have an 08 IS250 and i always wondered about that rattle when you start up the car. It only seems to be in the mornings after the car has sit for a long period of time. I had the wiper and trunk recall done but there was no mention of the rattle issue. I just assumed it was a Lexus thing.
Old 11-21-13, 07:15 AM
g2bme
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexusIS954
I have an 08 IS250 and i always wondered about that rattle when you start up the car. It only seems to be in the mornings after the car has sit for a long period of time. I had the wiper and trunk recall done but there was no mention of the rattle issue. I just assumed it was a Lexus thing.
It's a known occurrence with the 350s. I have a 250 and was lucky to get it fixed by the dealer before I hit 70k. Check around there's a TSB for our models. U can see if the dealer will take it in with that paperwork or maybe if they can duplicate the issue for you.
Old 11-22-13, 04:15 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UniSlayEX
I was under the impression that the spark plugs could be changed free of labour under a waterpump replacement. That being still under warranty.

I have a set date for the 18th of this month. Also getting rearview and windshield trim replaced - The waterpump still needs to be checked on mine.

and all this comes with me having to do the 60k maintenance. Yay for me!
Follow-Up:

Getting the car back tomorrow. They ended up doing the Waterpump as well. New oil, filters, and plugs. Also had the window trim redone and rearview turbulance taken care of . My SA was like "why did this car fall apart all of a sudden!?" He let me know nothing was out of pocket (outside what it cost me for materials) and everything will be smooth as can be.

Glad to know I was taken care of. I really love these cars and the way the company handles itself - even if thats lost at the dealership level sometimes.

I had a '13 IS250 (my SA joked that id be getting a '14 350 ). It's still a nice car though. Handled great and was smooth - smoother than my car for sure. Then there were the fix-ins. The car had it all, SAT, Live Traffic, Enform, etc. Definately the luxury we all got the IS for. I'm probably going to miss it. That is to say until I get to the freeway of course. At which point I'll forget about all that noise when I start my car up.... GAWD THAT CAR WAS SLOW!!!

Anyway - I hope you all get the same care and treatment as I do. Thanks for listening.
Old 11-22-13, 04:34 PM
g2bme
Pole Position

Follow-Up:

Getting the car back tomorrow. They ended up doing the Waterpump as well. New oil, filters, and plugs. Also had the window trim redone and rearview turbulance taken care of . My SA was like "why did this car fall apart all of a sudden!?" He let me know nothing was out of pocket (outside what it cost me for materials) and everything will be smooth as can be.

Glad to know I was taken care of. I really love these cars and the way the company handles itself - even if thats lost at the dealership level sometimes.

I had a '13 IS250 (my SA joked that id be getting a '14 350 ). It's still a nice car though. Handled great and was smooth - smoother than my car for sure. Then there were the fix-ins. The car had it all, SAT, Live Traffic, Enform, etc. Definately the luxury we all got the IS for. I'm probably going to miss it. That is to say until I get to the freeway of course. At which point I'll forget about all that noise when I start my car up.... GAWD THAT CAR WAS SLOW!!!

Anyway - I hope you all get the same care and treatment as I do. Thanks for listening.

wow which one did you go to? I just got a call today and my SA told me the service manager, after some mishaps with my car, got my damage fixed for my lip, cam gears changed, and on top of that did the spark plug change (after providing them the spark plugs) without any charge. I'm pretty stoked but at the same time concerned about the Water Pump. I'm close to 70K and I'm worried if it should be replaced. From what I hear and read around the forums, it should only be changed if it's damaged or looks damaged. I'm presuming they do a multi-point inspection and will inform me that the pump is still good.
Old 11-23-13, 04:23 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

posts above mentioned better to replace f-sport intake with stock one before going in for recall work. why is that? has anyone went in with f-sport intake and how did it go?
Old 11-23-13, 05:29 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

I had my Joe Z pipe on. Everything good so far.
Old 11-23-13, 09:18 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by g2bme
wow which one did you go to? I just got a call today and my SA told me the service manager, after some mishaps with my car, got my damage fixed for my lip, cam gears changed, and on top of that did the spark plug change (after providing them the spark plugs) without any charge. I'm pretty stoked but at the same time concerned about the Water Pump. I'm close to 70K and I'm worried if it should be replaced. From what I hear and read around the forums, it should only be changed if it's damaged or looks damaged. I'm presuming they do a multi-point inspection and will inform me that the pump is still good.
I've been going to Crown Lexus lately. They've been really good about giving me the service I need. Longo will always be the best. They just have it down. But one day I had to go to Crown and they've been taking care of me ever since. Besides, Longo told me I had to wait until January. Forget that.

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
posts above mentioned better to replace f-sport intake with stock one before going in for recall work. why is that? has anyone went in with f-sport intake and how did it go?
I don't see why you would have to. I didn't. Car wasn't ready today, as stated earlier, so I'll let you (and everyone) know what happens but I don't have any concerns regarding the condition of my performance intake after the work. I will check it out before I go though.
Old 11-27-13, 11:16 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

I don't see why you would have to. I didn't. Car wasn't ready today, as stated earlier, so I'll let you (and everyone) know what happens but I don't have any concerns regarding the condition of my performance intake after the work. I will check it out before I go though.
Okay, So I got the car back Monday (sorry for the late post but I doubt y'all were waiting to hear from me lol). The intake was in the same condition I left it. Clean and perfect.

From another thread:
[...] The F-Sport Intake showed no signs of damage or tampering. I'm giving it a once over this weekend while I clean the filter, but from first glance everything seems normal.
So the recall went smooth. FYI they are not offering free labor on spark plugs. Luckily I had the waterpump replaced in which they did my sparks for "free."

Quick Reply: Cam gear recall released!