jamespoco
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

=) BOUT TIME! I was sick hearing it at drive thrus lol
Old 10-13-13, 10:18 AM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Any suggestions while they are working in that area of the engine to get done as a preventative measure? I'm sure labor will be a lot less. I'm at 151,000 miles.
Old 10-13-13, 01:35 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

If we got the cam gear rattle TSIB, do we still have to do this recall?
Old 10-13-13, 03:45 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

It's up to you really; but if you had the "updated" cam gears installed already, those will more than likely be what they will be installing for the recall.
Old 10-13-13, 06:50 PM
GSKaplan
Rookie

If you had it done previously Lexus is still recommending it be performed. They offer reimbursement in some cases, but only AFTER the RECALL version is performed. As far as I can see the cam gear part numbers from the TSIB and the RECALL are the same....So did they update the gears again? Its really not clear because in the past any revisions to a part constitute a change in the part number.

My opinion (NOT LEXUS - They would say do it anyway) is its to your discretion. But, If you hear a rattle, get it done.

Context from the Owner Letter:
"What if you have previously paid for repairs to your vehicle for this specific condition?
If you have previously paid for repair to your vehicle for this specific condition prior to receiving this letter, please mail a copy of your
repair order, proof-of-payment and proof-of-ownership to the following address for reimbursement consideration:

Lexus Customer Assistance Center L201
19001 South Western Avenue
Torrance, CA 90509

Please note that the dealer must complete the Safety Recall remedy before reimbursement consideration requests can be processed"

Some other questions:
No the oil isn't changed with the repair.
Maintenance you could probably get done at a discount - Spark Plugs, Air filter, Drive Belt.
Old 10-13-13, 10:42 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How long does this repair take? Would I be provided a loaner if it takes a few days?
Old 10-14-13, 06:50 AM
jamespoco
Rookie

Im getting a loaner tomorrow because its going to take a whole day to perform.
Old 10-14-13, 07:02 AM
ShawnD
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is350 > is250
Old 10-14-13, 08:53 AM
RangerJoe
Driver

I see that the timing chain cover gasket is included in the list of parts used. I was told mine is leaking and they are charging me to have it replaced when while this recall service is being done. I would imagine the timing chain cover has to come off anyway for this recall. Any idea how much overlapping labor is being done between those two services? If I'm getting hosed on this, I'm going to be making another call.
Old 10-14-13, 10:26 AM
Chuy250
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sucks for the IS250 owners and I am one of them. What about the rattle for the IS250's? Mine has 64,xxx miles and started 60,xxx miles to make that noise.
Old 10-14-13, 10:38 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSKaplan
If you had it done previously Lexus is still recommending it be performed. They offer reimbursement in some cases, but only AFTER the RECALL version is performed. As far as I can see the cam gear part numbers from the TSIB and the RECALL are the same....So did they update the gears again? Its really not clear because in the past any revisions to a part constitute a change in the part number.

My opinion (NOT LEXUS - They would say do it anyway) is its to your discretion. But, If you hear a rattle, get it done.

Context from the Owner Letter:
"What if you have previously paid for repairs to your vehicle for this specific condition?
If you have previously paid for repair to your vehicle for this specific condition prior to receiving this letter, please mail a copy of your
repair order, proof-of-payment and proof-of-ownership to the following address for reimbursement consideration:

Lexus Customer Assistance Center L201
19001 South Western Avenue
Torrance, CA 90509

Please note that the dealer must complete the Safety Recall remedy before reimbursement consideration requests can be processed"

Some other questions:
No the oil isn't changed with the repair.
Maintenance you could probably get done at a discount - Spark Plugs, Air filter, Drive Belt.
What reimbursement are we talking about?
Old 10-14-13, 11:56 AM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RangerJoe
I see that the timing chain cover gasket is included in the list of parts used. I was told mine is leaking and they are charging me to have it replaced when while this recall service is being done. I would imagine the timing chain cover has to come off anyway for this recall. Any idea how much overlapping labor is being done between those two services? If I'm getting hosed on this, I'm going to be making another call.
if they do have to take off the timing chain cover gasket as part of the recall, they should not be charging you to reinstall a new one since it has to come off and they have to put one back on. especially if its included in the parts list.
Old 10-14-13, 12:21 PM
tiny2009
Rookie

Exactly the same issue for me at the moment, have waited for the recall to have a timing cover leak sorted at the same time. Have been told 7ish hours for the recall where the leak was going to take around a day and half? By doing them at the same time it's "saving" me half the labour?

What extra work would be involved for the timing cover to have it's gaskets replaced compared with what's involved with the recall? Seems a little fishy to me...
Old 10-14-13, 12:50 PM
RangerJoe
Driver

I had the timing chain cover replaced a little over a year and a half ago under warranty, and it's leaking again. When I talked to the service adviser this morning, they are going to cover a good portion of the timing chain cover repair. That being said, they are still wanting to charge quite a bit. I don't know what other parts are included in that timing chain cover repair, since you never get a detailed list of what they do.

Last edited by RangerJoe; 10-14-13 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-14-13, 01:46 PM
vapid2323
Pole Position

I had the timing chain cover replaced a little over a year and a half ago under warranty, and it's leaking again. When I talked to the service adviser this morning, they are going to cover a good portion of the timing chain cover repair. That being said, they are still wanting to charge quite a bit. I don't know what other parts are included in that timing chain cover repair, since you never get a detailed list of what they do.
The parts are cheap if thats what your asking, I had mine done and I don't think the parts cost more than 600. Now the labor was over 2500 for mine. I will see if I can find the original work order.

So simply I was told that they basically have to pull the engine out to fix the timing cover and thats where the cost is.

Quick Reply: Cam gear recall released!