IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How often do you get your IS250 detailed?

Old 10-10-13, 02:20 PM
JdSwiper
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How often do you get your IS250 detailed?

So I just made my appointment to get my new to me lexus detailed and I'm wondering how often everyone else gets their car detailed or do you guys do it yourselfs and do you clay, machine polish and glaze along with hand applied carnauba wax as well
Old 10-10-13, 02:46 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do mine my self about once a month maybe once every two months if im crazy busy. Nothing crazy, just hand wax. I have yet to see a winter in my car. Full detail is expensive (for me at least) and a nice wax will make the fairest paint pop out. Its not too hard, just time consuming.

I hand waxed my friends black 350z which he had for about a year, everywhere looked black to everyone it was black to only find out when i waxed it that his driver side door was a completely different color
Old 10-11-13, 01:15 AM
Zatrekaz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Restorative details (Machine polishing, ect) should only need to be done once a year on a properly maintained car.

The car should be washed/cleaned every 1-2 weeks.

A full detail, which goes beyond a simple wash/dry/vacuum should be done once-twice a month. This includes things you wouldn't do on a regular wash like cleaning the engine bay, shampooing the carpets, applying wax, ect.

Paste carnuba wax should be applied every 2-3 months.

Synthetic sealants should be applied every 4-5 months.

If you are paying someone to detail your car, make sure they are DETAILING it and not just cleaning it. The detail business is overflowed with "Detailers". Check and see if they have a maintenance plan. We offer one at a monthly price, and we come out and do whatever needs to be done to the car once a month. This includes basic cleanings, paint correction/restoration, ect.
Old 10-11-13, 02:25 AM
Offspring
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Zatrekaz
Restorative details (Machine polishing, ect) should only need to be done once a year on a properly maintained car.

The car should be washed/cleaned every 1-2 weeks.

A full detail, which goes beyond a simple wash/dry/vacuum should be done once-twice a month. This includes things you wouldn't do on a regular wash like cleaning the engine bay, shampooing the carpets, applying wax, ect.

Paste carnuba wax should be applied every 2-3 months.

Synthetic sealants should be applied every 4-5 months.

If you are paying someone to detail your car, make sure they are DETAILING it and not just cleaning it. The detail business is overflowed with "Detailers". Check and see if they have a maintenance plan. We offer one at a monthly price, and we come out and do whatever needs to be done to the car once a month. This includes basic cleanings, paint correction/restoration, ect.
Couldn't help but notice you are in MS. Are you by chance close to olemiss ?
Old 10-14-13, 12:28 PM
Zatrekaz
Rookie

I'm not actually. I live in Hattiesburg and attend USM. I'm about 80-90 miles from the coast. I know a low of people that went to Ole Miss.
Old 10-14-13, 01:48 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

I used to get my 2IS detailed every 4 months. I do that to all my cars. Once before winter, once after winter and once during the summer.
Old 10-14-13, 03:06 PM
Nikon
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

professionally... once a year.
Old 10-14-13, 05:09 PM
wlk12
Driver School Candidate

Never - just have it hand washed (with the rainbow sealant) every couple of weeks. Four years old and still looks new.

Garage kept in California, however.
Old 10-14-13, 08:28 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Zatrekaz
I'm not actually. I live in Hattiesburg and attend USM. I'm about 80-90 miles from the coast. I know a low of people that went to Ole Miss.
Bummer im trying to find someone who knows how to detail a car properly. There are a few shops around here but they do more damage than good.
Old 10-15-13, 06:06 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by wlk12
Never - just have it hand washed (with the rainbow sealant) every couple of weeks. Four years old and still looks new.
^I'd bet we have completely different definitions of "still looks like new"

Originally Posted by Offspring
Bummer im trying to find someone who knows how to detail a car properly. There are a few shops around here but they do more damage than good.
The best thing is that you recognize you should not take your vehicle to those shops!

Proper detailing is not too hard to learn, but like anything, it requires patience and practice! You can learn everything from proper washing and drying to machine polishing if you're looking to DIY.

A wealth of information can be found on the Detailed Image "Ask-A-Pro Blog". This blog is made up of articles, product reviews, and tips & tricks from several well known and respected detailers around the US (keep an eye out for my articles that will begin showing up later this year! ).

You can also learn a lot by reading through the entire Detailed Image Detailing Guide. This step by step guide walks you through the general steps associated with each part of the detailing process, recommends products, and more.

You can also learn a lot by visiting the Club Lexus Detailing Sub-Forum and other dedicated detailing forums like Autogeek.

Last, but certainly not least, feel free to let me know if you've got any questions! I'm always willing to help!

-Zach
Old 10-15-13, 07:33 AM
Offspring
Lead Lap

i appreciate you reaching out. But time is something i dont have. i wash the car on the weekend and thats it. I have never had a full detail done and im looking for someone capable for the job.
Old 10-15-13, 08:28 AM
nebojsa
Rookie

Check out detailing forum. You can look for pro there. I would recommend DIY. I do my own detailing and I am opening up a company soon. PM me if you need any help with detailing.
Old 10-15-13, 08:31 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Offspring
i appreciate you reaching out. But time is something i dont have. i wash the car on the weekend and thats it. I have never had a full detail done and im looking for someone capable for the job.
I've reached out to try to locate a reputable detailer in your area... I will let you know what I can find.
Old 10-15-13, 08:40 AM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

Man I detail my car once a month and wash 2-3 times a month. I cant allow other places to detail my car due to the fact that I always find things wrong so do it myself and enjoy the outcome lol. Plus u save money
Old 10-15-13, 09:26 AM
Offspring
Lead Lap

When I say detail I mean the whole deal. Zmc seems to be OCD when it comes to detailing, that's what I want. You know the job will be done right.

Thank you again for your help !!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How often do you get your IS250 detailed?