IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS-F Motor & Tranny Swap into ISx50! The real deal

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-14, 05:49 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

WOW, you're crazy and a master mind also!
Old 04-15-14, 07:15 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow. You've gotta be a genius to pull this off. Can't wait to see vids of this beast when done. This is going to be the biggest sleeper of all time...
Old 04-15-14, 07:42 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Wow. You've gotta be a genius to pull this off. Can't wait to see vids of this beast when done. This is going to be the biggest sleeper of all time...
Thanks guys.
HaHa, nope. I've done a few 2jzgte swaps in the past but nothing this electronically involved. Really, it just takes time and TIS.

I elected NOT to use the ISF cooling ecu setup. I wired the relays and fuses as they were on the ISx50 setup. Hoping I don't run into any more surprises once I get it running. ....Which is within the next few weeks. I'll be scheduling an appt. with Lexus to have my VIN seeded into the ISF engine ECM and then I'll be able to crank it over.

This coming fall/winter I plan to tackle the Greddy S/C setup.

Last edited by mikellucci; 04-15-14 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-16-14, 08:00 AM
LexusGuyyy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Goodness what a thread, lots of good information here, now as far as the swap, once you have completed the conversion would you consider a parts list and a wiring diagram for those gear head junkies out there that may consider the swap?
Old 04-16-14, 12:01 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexusGuyyy
Goodness what a thread, lots of good information here, now as far as the swap, once you have completed the conversion would you consider a parts list and a wiring diagram for those gear head junkies out there that may consider the swap?
Yes! Theres a lot I need to update.
I have stuff scattered around in spreadsheets and notepad. I'll put it all together when I get some free time at work.

Two new things:

1. Anyone doing this will either need the ISF shifter OR they may get lucky like I did and use the cotterpined shifter to shift arm bracket from the ISF. (I don't believe this piece is sold separately from the shifter though). The IS350 bolt/stud was off by about 1/2". Pic below.

2. Never did I think the Tranny crossmember wouldn't bolt up to the furthest hole set on the ISx50 body. We have EIGHT (8) drilled/tapped holes and the IS-F tranny puts the last ones about 49mm further back. I drilled one of the spaces out but its just a thin walled aluminum pocket...couldn't tape threads.

I had my welder fab two additional pegs to the IS350 crossmember to allow it to bolt into the stock location. Its very rigid and there should be zero issues but I have him working on a custom piece for the near future just because it would bother me.

Piece needed to align IS350 shifter with tranny shifter-

All bolted up and torqued to spec-

I'll be putting more of the front end back together in the coming days...Just picked up my tranny cooler-

Gotta luv Summit Racing retail store clearance. Picked up some Mishimoto water hoses that I may or may not use.

The new tranny xmember will be similar to this---

Last edited by mikellucci; 04-16-14 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-16-14, 01:16 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^We love pics! Keep'um coming!
Old 04-16-14, 03:32 PM
is3FIFTY
Rookie

Nice write up!! Can't wait to see the finish product!
Old 04-16-14, 11:31 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

cool let me know if you have any issues or questions
i can pretty much anything in regards to ISF and parts
iv pulled apart 3 isf's and also did a MY11 engline conversion in my MY09 ISF
Old 04-17-14, 04:42 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Originally Posted by ilv1004s
cool let me know if you have any issues or questions
i can pretty much anything in regards to ISF and parts
iv pulled apart 3 isf's and also did a MY11 engline conversion in my MY09 ISF
Thanks! Actually, I posted in the F forum to confirm the + and - wires connecting to the battery. I can't find definitive points in TIS and was hoping someone could take a look at their car for me.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...o-battery.html
Old 04-18-14, 07:39 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mikellucci
Thanks guys.
HaHa, nope. I've done a few 2jzgte swaps in the past but nothing this electronically involved. Really, it just takes time and TIS.

I elected NOT to use the ISF cooling ecu setup. I wired the relays and fuses as they were on the ISx50 setup. Hoping I don't run into any more surprises once I get it running. ....Which is within the next few weeks. I'll be scheduling an appt. with Lexus to have my VIN seeded into the ISF engine ECM and then I'll be able to crank it over.

This coming fall/winter I plan to tackle the Greddy S/C setup.
I assume you are doing this so the ECM accepts your key fob to provide ignition power?
Old 04-18-14, 08:02 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Originally Posted by B16da9
I assume you are doing this so the ECM accepts your key fob to provide ignition power?
^ yeah I started a thread about that but didn't get a lot of input but I actually found the procedures listed in TIS. I hope it's as simple as it's described and there's not any issues at the dealership... I'm a bit nervous for that portion

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ce-needed.html

Last edited by mikellucci; 04-18-14 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-28-14, 05:52 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Inching closer to finishing this thing up! Last bit of items I didn't account for needing modified early on in the swap:

ECMs are back in place after having to fab (plastic mold) mounting tabs on the ISF box to use ISx50 bolt holes.

The ISF uses a pressurized coolant reservoir whereas the ISx50 its built onto the head/water routing. I elected not to use the ISF reservoir due to size and fit so I went outside the box and have an STi coolant reservoir in place. I'm very happy with the fit and finish and it offers expandability in the future. (I plan to do an aftermarket radiator and slim fans once I boost the motor later on.)

The oil cooler previously pictured was a complete POS. I'm waiting on my Earl's cooler to arrive and then I'll finish up the lines and mounting. Air intake needs welded up but I think I settled on a final version so its just about complete. Other than that, I'm only left di$king around with Sikky's oil dipstick trying to get it lined up perfectly between the headers and frame rail....I think they sent me a bent one and its been a headache trying to figure it out.

Once that is complete I'll be filling fluids, strapping battery down, bolting exhaust up, cleaning things up and calling this done very very soon!

Caliper teaser! Finally got my Brembo GT back from powdercoating. Fronts are a massive 6pot on a 380 2 piece rotor. Rears are a big 4pot on 355 2 piece rotor.

Last edited by mikellucci; 04-28-14 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-28-14, 05:55 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Sounds like a short list! Looking forward to the completion results!
Old 04-29-14, 02:25 AM
Offspring
Lead Lap

Solid progress ! I should be in town for the first start up. Hope all goes well !
Old 04-29-14, 05:17 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Originally Posted by Offspring
Solid progress ! I should be in town for the first start up. Hope all goes well !
Awesome! You can stand by with a fire extinguisher!! Lol

Quick Reply: IS-F Motor & Tranny Swap into ISx50! The real deal