Search this Thread

Old 09-30-13, 11:52 AM
malanjari
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bob4256
Everything Ive bolded screams Lexus.

Lexus > Ford. Always
Thanks. But this Mustang is clean, and the IS is pretty run down. Between those two cars, I'm leaning towards the Mustang. It's certified, it's only 2 years old, and it has low mileage, still holds a year of warranty.
Old 09-30-13, 11:57 AM
malanjari
Rookie

Originally Posted by dragtek1
If you are looking for the "long haul" I would definitely recommend the Lexus, however, for 3-5 years, I would definitely say the Mustang.

The 3.7 V6 is an extremely durable engine and has a great amount of power. I am unfamiliar with the transmission, but has pretty good reviews. It has a live-axle setup, so the simple drivetrain should be pretty stout.

The problem with the Lexus is multiple folds:
1. With a "sealed transmission," it is quite debatable whether or not the transmission could be flushed. The problem with this is the life expectancy is around 100k-150k miles. A new one or rebuilt one can be extremely pricey.
2. The Is250 does have a problem with carbon build up. Most cars with direct injection has this problem and usually around the 100k miles, driveability issues can arise from it. If properly maintained and cleaned; you should not have an issue.

To sum it up, the Lexus is a great car, but it is also a gamble. It is out of warranty and sold as is, so if any problems arise, you are the one that foots the bill. The mustang on the other hand, will have the powertrain under warranty for the time span you plan on owning it. IF, you were planning on keeping it for more than 5 years, then I think the Lexus would be your clear winner. Good luck!
It'll mostly be for 2-3 years, not longer. I have will be invested in buying the car. I won't be able to afford expensive repairs at all. And yeah, the warranty on the Mustang, and the fact that it has 100k less miles, is hard to ignore. It's probably going to be the Mustang, though I'll miss on the luxuries of a Lexus.
Old 09-30-13, 12:03 PM
malanjari
Rookie

Originally Posted by ShawnD
V6 mustang is dog ****. If possible spend a little more and get a IS with fewer miles. The values on the 2IS has been dropping now that the new body style has hit the streets. Be patient and you can find a better deal.

I had 3 mustangs, 90 5.0, 01 4.6, 02 4.6, miss the 5.0 like crazy, but wouldn't wish anything past a 93 mustang on anyone...and like someone else said, the interior on the ford is CRAP.
I found an '08 IS with 115k miles, it would be the same price as the Mustang (around $16.5 k OTD). It looks clean enough, but I haven't seen it yet. All said, the Mustang is practically brand new compared to the ISs I'm looking at.

I'm not into performance. I just need a clean car (Mustang), preferably with nice amenities (Lexus), warranty would be a plus (Mustang), reliability (Lexus), and low maintenance (draw between the 2).

I don't like that I'll be paying $16.5 k for an IS '08 model that has 110k+ miles. It has 80+k miles on the Mustang, and no warranty. Plus, the Mustang is an American car, which means that almost any garage will know how to fix it.
Old 09-30-13, 12:07 PM
malanjari
Rookie

Originally Posted by DFig619
Mustang is boring, the IS will last you for a very long time as long as you keep up with the usual maintenance
I only need a car for 2-3 years, and the Mustang sounds like a good deal. I would love a Lexus, but all the ones I looked at are '07 and '08 models, with high mileage when compared to the Mustang.

You don't think the Mustang will last me 2-3 years, with regular maintenance and service?
Old 09-30-13, 12:09 PM
malanjari
Rookie

Originally Posted by laobo979
For that price range at 2 stacks on top and get 350 better hp plus no carbon issues.
I haven't found a good IS350 at this price range, not one that's at least an '07 or '08.
Old 09-30-13, 12:10 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll get mostly biased information from posting here. Best answer is... test drive both and see which one you like better. Make sure to do a thorough insection and you should fine.

Mustang has come a long way in terms of reliability. FORD was a joke before, but the new generations seem to be more reliable than other Japanese brands aka Nissan, Mitsubishi and European brands aka Volkswagen.

With the Mustang, you have the bonus of HP over the IS250 and the comfort of powertrain warranty if anything bad happens.

IS250 is pretty reliable in general, but the ticking time bomb is a reality with the carbon build-up. You get a sense of Luxury with the IS250. Nothing to worry about with the sealed transmission since it is filled with a life term transmission fluid. Toyota engineers designed it this way. IS250 is a great car in general, plus you have extra 2 doors.
Old 09-30-13, 12:15 PM
malanjari
Rookie

Originally Posted by joshua28
I would go with the IS250 over the Mustang. If performance is not what you are aiming for and you just want to get from point a to b....then go Lexus. Far more reliable and easier on the gas. 100,000+ miles is a lot for 15k. I would look for another IS250.
I found another IS, a year younger and 10k miles less, for an extra $2k. But that is still a lot of mileage, when I could get a 2 year old Mustang with 1/3 of the mileage for the same price.

The only problem is that I do love the luxury of the Lexus. Like someone else said, the Mustang is crap from the inside. But hey, at least it's new crap, right?
Old 09-30-13, 12:18 PM
malanjari
Rookie

Originally Posted by speed55
I second Joshua; 100K+ miles is a hell of a lot for a $14K car. My '07 IS250 has only $34K miles and runs like it is brand new, BUT i'm very concerned about the piston ring problem that I haven't had yet. A $6K or $7K repair bill if it's out of the special 9 year Lexus warranty for the IS250.
Do any of you guys know (or guess) what the percent of IS250s actually have / had the problem ?
The warranty for me runs out in three years; I'm not sure what I'll do then if I haven't had the "fix" ?
Exactly. I just can't find cheaper ISs. I found a slightly better one ('08 model with 10k less miles), but that is $16.5 K.

And I won't afford the kind of repair you're talking about. I will end up selling it for parts because I won't be able to pay 6-7 grand.
Old 09-30-13, 12:21 PM
malanjari
Rookie

Originally Posted by keyframe13
i don;t know why you consider mustang as it's not the same category. But I will advice against that Lexus. If was a 350 was ok but I think it's overpriced for that mileage and IS250 is the worst Lexus you can get. That engine is slow and bad on gas. Yes I own one.
I know it's comparing oranges to apples. But they are the two cars I'm interested in. I just never found a Mustang priced as well as this, that's why I kept on looking for the IS.

Apparently, I can't afford the 350, so I'm stuck looking at 250s.
Old 09-30-13, 12:24 PM
malanjari
Rookie

Originally Posted by Skins21
Hard to compare the two- as mentioned, they really aren't in the same category. I would continue to look for a better deal on a used IS250- they're out there, just expand your search. Good luck!
Thanks. I found one. An '08 with 115k miles, nav n cam, for $2k more. between this new one and the Mustang, I would probably get the Mustang just because it's so low on mileage and has a one year warranty.
Old 09-30-13, 12:25 PM
malanjari
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Based on mileage go with the Mustang. Too many issues with carbon build up on the 250 especially with the amount of miles on the IS you're looking at
Thank you. Finally at last, I found someone nudging me to the Mustang. Thanks buddy.
Old 09-30-13, 12:28 PM
malanjari
Rookie

Originally Posted by sm1ke
The carbon build up is kind of hit or miss, but many 250 owners have reported it. Maybe request the VIN of the 250 and take it to a Lexus dealer to see if the recall has been done? If not, you may be in the clear if you take the necessary steps to prevent it (drive the car hard every once in a while, or use Seafoam to break down the carbon deposits).

I think the Lexus would provide a more comfortable commute for road trips. I took my 250 on a 13 hour road trip from Manitoba to Alberta, didn't stop except to eat and swap drivers every 4 hours, and it didn't skip a beat. The seats are also very comfortable.

For the record, my car is an 08 AWD with 75000 kms (46600 mi.), lowered on BC Racing coilovers and 19-inch wheels. My girlfriend had no complaints either, and she drives a bone-stock 06 Honda Civic DX sedan.
I'll have the VIN checked at the Lexus dealership.

And yeah, Lexus is a smooth ride. I would definitely want to be in one (and not in a Mustang) if I was gonna drive that long. The farthest I see myself driving is to vegas, and that's just 6 hours.
Old 09-30-13, 12:33 PM
malanjari
Rookie

Originally Posted by shadowman
You'll get mostly biased information from posting here. Best answer is... test drive both and see which one you like better. Make sure to do a thorough insection and you should fine.

Mustang has come a long way in terms of reliability. FORD was a joke before, but the new generations seem to be more reliable than other Japanese brands aka Nissan, Mitsubishi and European brands aka Volkswagen.

With the Mustang, you have the bonus of HP over the IS250 and the comfort of powertrain warranty if anything bad happens.

IS250 is pretty reliable in general, but the ticking time bomb is a reality with the carbon build-up. You get a sense of Luxury with the IS250. Nothing to worry about with the sealed transmission since it is filled with a life term transmission fluid. Toyota engineers designed it this way. IS250 is a great car in general, plus you have extra 2 doors.
I like your reply.

I would love an IS, but if I only can find a good one. I'm getting frustrated having to shell so much for a model so old. A car that has 125 k miles has to be worse than one that only has 35k, even if the latter is a Ford. I mean the Mustang isn't an entry level car, it's supposed to be manufactured a bit better.

I estimate I'll be driving 10k miles a year, keeping the car for 2-3 years, basically increasing the mileage to a max of 60k. Surely, the Mustang can handle that, right?
Old 09-30-13, 01:35 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds like you've already made your decision, not sure what else you need from this thread. Realistically the Mustang will last you the 2-3 years, but don't forget to consider mileage and fuel costs, depreciation, and possibly insurance (ie. 4 door luxury sedan vs. 2-door sports car).

There are many reasons for why the cars are priced so similarly. Domestic models have been plagued with poor resale value for a very long time, and personally I think it has a lot to do with the fact that since they are American-made, they are very common. Imported makes usually retain their value a little better because they are less common. In this case, the proven reliability of the IS also improves its resale value.

Also, Lexus is more of a refined, luxury brand vs the edgy, contemporary Ford brand. Luxury almost always costs more.

When you end up selling the car, chances are that you'll get more back from the Lexus, but how much I don't know. The value will continue to drop as newer models are released, but those new models of the IS start at around $38k, so you shouldn't see any drastic price drops for a few years still. For example, I bought my car about a year and a half ago. I could turn around and sell it tomorrow for the same price I paid, and that's after putting 12500 miles on it.
Old 09-30-13, 01:46 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

I don;t know why everybody keep mention the gas mileage is better on Lexus. It is not. As a matter of fact is horrible for that engine. The mustang has 100 hp more a bigger engine 3.7 and still get the same if not better gas mileage than the IS250. Lexus is rated 20/28 and Mustang 19/29, 31 on MSN.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS 250 or Ford Mustang V6