Xenon HID

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-13, 05:03 AM
See5
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Xenon HID

Hi

IS350 ( Equipped with AFS Xenon from factory )

I have been noticing some flickering from the driver side low beam lamp, and yesterday I noticed at some point that the bulb isn't working . I thought that it might be the end of its life time . But my friend told me to just turn off the lights and turn them back on ! And it worked as new again !!

But the problem would come on several times . So what I need to know . Is it a ballest issue or the bulb itself ?

And if it is the bulb , can I install after market bright one with different color using the same factory ballest ?

thank you

Old 09-28-13, 05:34 AM
dragtek1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More than likely, it is your ballast. Typically bulbs usually go out instantly and ballast problems would cause flickering. Good luck!
Old 09-28-13, 05:39 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

you can find some OEM ballasts on ebay for a reasonable price
Old 09-28-13, 03:45 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like the ballast and yes you can try eBay as well.

Also to answer your question about bulbs, if you need to change one, just replace both because the color will be off
Old 10-02-13, 01:09 AM
See5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dragtek1
More than likely, it is your ballast. Typically bulbs usually go out instantly and ballast problems would cause flickering. Good luck!
yeah that's what I thought too ! thank you very much
Old 10-02-13, 01:10 AM
See5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
you can find some OEM ballasts on ebay for a reasonable price
but what about If I want to change both bulbs too to a brighter xenon set ? shouldn't I buy a full set instead ?
Old 10-02-13, 01:15 AM
See5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bob4256
Sounds like the ballast and yes you can try eBay as well.

Also to answer your question about bulbs, if you need to change one, just replace both because the color will be off
Hey thanks for helping me out , consider I bought a new ballast . Will I be able to change the bulbs to a brighter ones ?

I am not satisfied with the intensity , they look pretty weak compared to late models .

So shall I go for aftermarket kit or original ballast and aftermarket bulbs . What do you suggest
Old 10-02-13, 08:46 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

See5:I would do some testing before getting in parts to make sure your getting the right parts. Start by swapping the bulb and see if the problem follows it or not.

Since your IS350 uses D4S bulbs you won't be able to get aftermarket ballast unless it’s a 35W D4S ballast. Over time HID bulbs do loose lumens so by simply upgrading your bulbs they would be brighter. 4300K is the brightest color temperature you can get, since you’re looking for the most light output I would stick with 4300K bulb.

Check out the Philips D4S HID bulbs for the best results.

Danny
Old 10-02-13, 07:31 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by See5

Hey thanks for helping me out , consider I bought a new ballast . Will I be able to change the bulbs to a brighter ones ?

I am not satisfied with the intensity , they look pretty weak compared to late models .

So shall I go for aftermarket kit or original ballast and aftermarket bulbs . What do you suggest
Originally Posted by XenonDepot
See5:I would do some testing before getting in parts to make sure your getting the right parts. Start by swapping the bulb and see if the problem follows it or not.

Since your IS350 uses D4S bulbs you won't be able to get aftermarket ballast unless it’s a 35W D4S ballast. Over time HID bulbs do loose lumens so by simply upgrading your bulbs they would be brighter. 4300K is the brightest color temperature you can get, since you’re looking for the most light output I would stick with 4300K bulb.

Danny
Go with Xenondepots advice, and I would also suggest buying from them too. Great quality and service
Old 10-02-13, 08:58 PM
droolerk9
Driver School Candidate

Default HID bulbs

Yes, your ballast is wonky. However, it's your ballast that determines the intensity of the bulbs (i.e. 35W or 55W). A bulbs temperature rating determine the color of light that you car throws out (e.g. a 5000K bulb spits out sun-like (natural) light. Higher temperature bulbs will have more blue to purplish color). The lens will also affect the color of the beam (and shape) too.

BK
Old 10-02-13, 09:41 PM
See5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by XenonDepot

Danny
You are totally right . I will switch the bulbs first to see if the same problem occurs or not . If it doesn't I will be buying pair http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-D4S-5000K-42402CX-Pair-Brand-New-1-Year-Warranty-/161097887855?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25822eb06f&vxp=mtr WHITE , I just like it white

If after replacing bulbs I got the same problem then it will be time to replace the ballast

thanks a lot for the hints
Old 10-02-13, 09:44 PM
See5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by droolerk9
Yes, your ballast is wonky. However, it's your ballast that determines the intensity of the bulbs (i.e. 35W or 55W). A bulbs temperature rating determine the color of light that you car throws out (e.g. a 5000K bulb spits out sun-like (natural) light. Higher temperature bulbs will have more blue to purplish color). The lens will also affect the color of the beam (and shape) too.

BK
Will a 55w give brighter light from 35w bulbs ? or the opposite even?

Or the wattage must be the same.

thanks
Old 10-02-13, 10:41 PM
DFig619
Driver

Will a 55w give brighter light from 35w bulbs ? or the opposite even? Or the wattage must be the same. thanks
You should match bulb with ballast wattage, OEM ballast are 35w so putting a 55w bulb will damage the harness/plug

But if you compared 35w set with a 55w set, 55 will be brighter
Old 10-03-13, 11:50 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Will a 55w give brighter light from 35w bulbs ? or the opposite even?

Or the wattage must be the same.

thanks
Philips does not make 5000K HID bulbs, they only have 4300K or Ultinon 6000k bulbs. Be very careful as there is a lot of fake Philips HID bulbs out there. We are a authorized Philips dealer so we only sell genuine Philips parts.

If you want 5000K you can go with the XenonDepot 5000K HID bulbs.

You want to match the ballast and bulb with the same wattage otherwise it would overdrive the bulb causing it to burn out sooner. 55W often overdrive the 35W HID bulb to obtain the increased light output. As a result, you can expect the HID bulb to burn hotter which can damage your headlight. You can also expect a significantly decreased bulb life.

Danny
Old 10-03-13, 02:03 PM
2ISTruong
Rookie

Had kinda a similar issue a few months ago w/ my 07. Both bulbs would come on initially but the driver side just died out within a few seconds. Thought the ballast was bad too but I did what XenonDepot suggested by swapping the bulbs and it turned out to be a bad bulb... not a bad ballast. Swapping bulbs is pretty simple so start your trouble shoot with that.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Xenon HID