IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hello from Dallas, and a few LED questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-13, 10:29 AM
240M3SRT
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Hello from Dallas, and a few LED questions.

Hi everyone! I have lurked around here for a bit but finally got my car last week so thought i would jump into the community. Its a 2007 SGM IS350. Im in the process of adding 20% tint all around and just picked up an extra set of OEM wheels to have powdercoated similiar color as the car.

I also want to add LED talights and maybe LED's in the front inner parking lamp where its that ugly peachish color right now. I have done some searching on threads here and didnt find the specific answers i was looking for.

Will the OEM LED tallights that come on the newer IS need anything other than the wiring harness from the later model cars? If i get the set of the 4 talilights off CL/ebay should i plan on having to buy all the little LEDs or should they come with them already? Also i need to buy the harnesses too i assume? Will this swap throw any codes or cause any annoying issues like blinking, failing to come on, or all the LEDs not illuminating properly?

Will any of the other popular LED swaps cause annoying issues or throw codes, such as if i replaced the peach colored front inner parking lights that reside in the headlight housing?

What about interior LEDs and the newer LED headlight swap?

Sorry for all the questions but i had a CL600 and started getting into all this LED stuff and there was always some problem or another even with the expensive bulbs. Either they were temperamental and would only come on half the time or they threw a code or something. More of a hassle than i care to go through on this car so just hoping yall can tell me what to expect ahead of time. Sorry for the long first post. Thanks in advance and happy to be here
Old 09-24-13, 07:59 PM
es808
Pole Position

From what I know, you'll need the harness that goes with the LED taillights. But if you have that, then it should be plug-and-play with the 06-08 years.

If you replace the front turn signal bulbs to LEDs, you will get the hyper flash for your turn signals. There are 3 options for this: I grind down the shunt on the OEM flasher relay, buy a different flasher relay or live with the hyper flashing.

Here's the link to grinding down the shunt in the flasher relay. It also covers buying a different Toyota relay that works with the LED bulbs.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...led-bulbs.html

I ground down my shunt since I wanted to keep the door lock flash indication when I locked the doors. With the different Toyota relay, other members lost this flash indication.

As far as the interior LEDs, you have to be confident with your soldering skills. It takes patience and all of the LEDs are small. They're surface mount so they're a little easier to remove and solder back than the old style thru-hole LEDs.

All of these mods won't throw any codes. FYI.

Oh and welcome to CL!!!!
Old 09-26-13, 09:18 AM
240M3SRT
Rookie

Thanks for the reply and the link-i will look into this!

I just got the tint done right finally, after the nightmare that ensued at "corner shop" (should have known better). Hopefully i will get the wheels back tomorrow from the powdercoater. I narrowed it down to 2 colors, one almost matched the SGM too much so i opted for "graphite grey" which is a bit more of a true grey color that will contrast a bit.

Now im thinking instead of the hassle of swapping to LED tailights just to professionally paint my current taillights a smoke color and clearcoat them(medium darkness). Any opinions on this, or pics from someone who did this to their non LED taillights? What im interested in is if it will cover that orange part enough to make it not stand out.
Old 09-26-13, 09:39 AM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

You're on the same track as I'm on. Even down to the new (to me) 2007 SGM IS350
I've smoke-plasti-dipped the emblems (went to remove them and found the holes in trunk) and also smoke-plasti-dipped al the chrome on the front. Have the black tape ordered to cover up chrome around the windows. There is a Honda colored gray I think I'm going to paint the stock wheels if I don't go with aftermarket ones.
I like an extremly clean looking car - not flashy, or compeltely out of control wild - just different than stock.
I personally feel painting the tail lights is too far. I've considered applying like a 80% window tinting film just to turn them down a bit and make them - not so stock. I'd like to upgrade to a 2012 led tail light - just don't want to drop the cash on it.
Old 09-26-13, 10:08 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

everything in the tailights is pretty much LED already except for the turn signal bulbs, license plate lights are already LED.

www.precisionled.com makes an LED kit for the IS to change out all the interior, door courtesy, and side mirror puddle lights to LED. I did mine and it looks great. I bought seperate Cree LEDs for the reverse lights. I still need to change out the DRL bulb for an LED in the future. I used a similar kit to change out all the lights on my moms LX470 and wow it looks really good now
Old 09-26-13, 10:17 AM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
everything in the tailights is pretty much LED already except for the turn signal bulbs, license plate lights are already LED.

www.precisionled.com makes an LED kit for the IS to change out all the interior, door courtesy, and side mirror puddle lights to LED. I did mine and it looks great. I bought seperate Cree LEDs for the reverse lights. I still need to change out the DRL bulb for an LED in the future. I used a similar kit to change out all the lights on my moms LX470 and wow it looks really good now
Do you have any pics of your IS with the new lights? Did you do the 6K color? Do the Cree LED reverse lights require any modifications? Thx! (sorry to hi-jack)
Old 09-26-13, 11:25 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

6K, dont have pics but the pics at precision LED when you select the IS are what it pretty much looks like. For the reverse lights you have to pop off some of the trunk liner in the trunk lid to access the bulb but thats about it
Old 09-26-13, 06:14 PM
240M3SRT
Rookie

Originally Posted by FI4runner
You're on the same track as I'm on. Even down to the new (to me) 2007 SGM IS350
I've smoke-plasti-dipped the emblems (went to remove them and found the holes in trunk) and also smoke-plasti-dipped al the chrome on the front. Have the black tape ordered to cover up chrome around the windows. There is a Honda colored gray I think I'm going to paint the stock wheels if I don't go with aftermarket ones.
I like an extremly clean looking car - not flashy, or compeltely out of control wild - just different than stock.
I personally feel painting the tail lights is too far. I've considered applying like a 80% window tinting film just to turn them down a bit and make them - not so stock. I'd like to upgrade to a 2012 led tail light - just don't want to drop the cash on it.
I get your style. Clean and conservative, same here. Im a real estate agent so i cant be rolling up in something that looks too extreme

How does that plasti-dip work? Does it adhere very well...chrome is very hard to get things to stick to for any real length of time. Wouldnt mind seeing a pic of the emblems and grille.

I have seen tint on tailights and it wasnt really for me. It looks great from 10 feet away but when its your car you always notice the little line at the edge, at least in my experience. Was thinking of picking up the all red ebay LED taillights and smoking them so i could always switch back to stock if need be. I just dont know if they will look too cheap(non factory) kinda like when you see some dude rollin around in a lowered chevy pickup with those LED taillights that you just know are cheap APC brand lol. Everyone has their style but thats what im trying to avoid, walking that thin line between stock and aftermarket.

Last edited by 240M3SRT; 09-26-13 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-27-13, 08:43 AM
FI4runner
Intermediate

lol - exactly. I have a parking spot with my name on it in front of our building - every customer that comes in can see what I drive, so it can't be ghetto/flashy. lol I know where you're coming from

Plasti dip works better than I thought it would, when I origonally heard about it. You just spray it on in multiple light coats. It peels off if you decide it's not for you anymore.
I know chrome is really hard to get paint to stick to. This stuff is like a rubber though - and doesn't chip. I've had the entire front grill on our Infiniti FX35 sprayed with plasti-dip for over a year. (all FX's are chrome from the factory) I matched the color of the car so it looks factory. It has yet to chip and still looks like I just sprayed it.

I haven't seen tint on tails in person, sounds like it won't be the route I'm going. lol...
Old 09-30-13, 04:22 AM
240M3SRT
Rookie

Originally Posted by FI4runner
lol - exactly. I have a parking spot with my name on it in front of our building - every customer that comes in can see what I drive, so it can't be ghetto/flashy. lol I know where you're coming from

Plasti dip works better than I thought it would, when I origonally heard about it. You just spray it on in multiple light coats. It peels off if you decide it's not for you anymore.
I know chrome is really hard to get paint to stick to. This stuff is like a rubber though - and doesn't chip. I've had the entire front grill on our Infiniti FX35 sprayed with plasti-dip for over a year. (all FX's are chrome from the factory) I matched the color of the car so it looks factory. It has yet to chip and still looks like I just sprayed it.

I haven't seen tint on tails in person, sounds like it won't be the route I'm going. lol...
I will have to give that plasti dip a trail run on something im not to fond of just to see how it works. Whats the brand, duplicolor, 3m?

Judging by your screename you have a 4Runner, is it boosted?
Old 09-30-13, 05:46 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
I will have to give that plasti dip a trail run on something im not to fond of just to see how it works. Whats the brand, duplicolor, 3m?

Judging by your screename you have a 4Runner, is it boosted?
It's actually called Plasti Dip. You can buy a can of black/white/red at home depot or ace to try out. Make sure to do at least 3-4+ coats to ensure you can peel if off easily.
I ordered the smoke/gray colors directly from the website since I couldn't find them anywhere else.

Yes - it's the 3.4 V6 4runner supercharged. 4.88's, air locker in rear, upgraded valve body on the trans, beadlocks, bumpers, winch - ect. big long list.

Since it sounds like you have the same style - did this over the weekend. No more ugly chrome around the windows
My wheels will be replaced or painted soon. Can't stand them.

Chrome

No chrome

Last edited by FI4runner; 09-30-13 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-30-13, 05:49 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Here is plasti dip on the emblems and grill - it's a smoke color that you can start out lighter in color with light coats, or do more thicker coast to darken the color.

(this was taken before I blacked out the chrome window trim)

Last edited by FI4runner; 09-30-13 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-30-13, 05:51 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

I'll be taking apart the headlights/foglights sooner or later and paint the chrome a gray color. Between that and wheels - I'll probably call it good after that. Maybe do some matching hid fogs.
Old 09-30-13, 07:23 PM
240M3SRT
Rookie

Definitely liking that style! I think the tails need a light smoking but thats just me lol. Not big on the thick 5 spoke wheels either, powdercoating would help but thinking you might not be satisfied a few weeks later. What do you think? I do however like the typical IS split spokes, and should be getting mine back powdercoated in graphite grey tomorrow.

I have a 3rd gen T4R too, no s/c though...but on 35's and 337k miles running strong.
Attached Thumbnails Hello from Dallas, and a few LED questions.-4runner-front-med.jpg  

Last edited by 240M3SRT; 09-30-13 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-30-13, 09:56 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
Definitely liking that style! I think the tails need a light smoking but thats just me lol. Not big on the thick 5 spoke wheels either, powdercoating would help but thinking you might not be satisfied a few weeks later. What do you think? I do however like the typical IS split spokes, and should be getting mine back powdercoated in graphite grey tomorrow.

I have a 3rd gen T4R too, no s/c though...but on 35's and 337k miles running strong.
Yep - I have the UGLIEST IS wheels ever made.... The wife even approved a new set...lol...

Awesome on the 3rd Gen runner - that's too funny!!! Nice rig - looks clean! Killer on the miles, you have me beat! I'm 230K (supercharged for 190K) top end rebuilt 40k back
I'm on 35's s well with 3" coilovers
It's the old TLT 4runner- the original shop that first did 35's and 3" without rub. Firewall has been cut/rewelded along with rear seam. When I got it 3+ years back (looked way different) it was on 34's and I had to open her back up even more for true 35" MTR Kevlars

Quick Reply: Hello from Dallas, and a few LED questions.