IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hello from Dallas, and a few LED questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-13, 06:36 PM
240M3SRT
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome! My 4runner is more of a mall crawler/weekend hunting vehicle lol.

Got my IS wheels back, I like them but am not fully convinced about the color. Still a lot better than factory silver to me. I didnt want an exact color match but rather a bit of contrast, however they almost seem to go a bit "blue-ish" next to the factory paint, especially in the sunlight. They call this color graphite grey. Matching center caps to come. Opinions?
Attached Thumbnails Hello from Dallas, and a few LED questions.-is-wheels-1.jpg   Hello from Dallas, and a few LED questions.-is-wheels-2.jpg  
Old 10-03-13, 01:47 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

LMAO - hilarious. Give me a few to post up pics. I couldn't take the stock color any longer - and just did mine as well. They ALSO ended up more blue than I hoped! I was looking for more of a darker silver I guess.

Last edited by FI4runner; 10-03-13 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-03-13, 07:03 PM
240M3SRT
Rookie

HAHA dude you gotta be kidding me! Are we related or something? I am picking up the center caps tomorrow-one way or another i am rocking this look for at least 6 months to a year. Still got the original set of wheels for when my OCD perfectionism kicks in

At least yours are less bluish, when someone aks me im gonna be like...yea its called "blue smoke", their all the new rage in Japan
Old 10-03-13, 09:32 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

LMAO - no kidding. I laughed when I read your hunting comment too. I just finished up the early bow season for elk and deer. It's my first year at bow - called in a monster 5x5 bull, another smaller bull, a cow - saw a few heards, and mistakenly passed up a forkid horn buck - most were just barely inside 70 yards, and when I'd pull back the string I'd spook them. I normally hunt modern rifle and fill at least 1 tag a year. Bow is crazy though. I still have the late season in Nov/Dec to bag something.

Mine are actually pretty blue - those pics were in the shade. Lol I'll start using the blue smoke comment. lol
Old 10-03-13, 11:45 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

I couldn't take it - I'm trying to add some plastidip smoke to get rid of the blue tint. lol
Old 10-05-13, 11:23 AM
240M3SRT
Rookie

70 yard with bow yea that would have been quite a shot! This is actually my first season hunting! My weapon of choice is crossbow, got a Scorpyd Ventillator 150 that really puts a hurting on em' with 140KE. Then to really make things hard on myself theres always the traditional recurve with no sights.

And im noticing a pattern here lol, you gotta be quite the master with that plastidip stuff by now. Show me a closeup of how it comes out, as i dont really get how your gonna add it on top of powdercating.

I got my painted centercaps back and that helped the overall look a lot. I drilled out the emblems and then re-applied them after the paint, i think they turned out pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails Hello from Dallas, and a few LED questions.-centercap-2.jpg   Hello from Dallas, and a few LED questions.-centercap-1.jpg  
Old 10-05-13, 10:40 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

I reload and shoot bolt rifles for accuracy (guessing you do that too - along with build AR's? LOL) a lot of the same characteristics carry over to bow ( consistency through trigger/anchor point/sights) so I practiced daily for 3 months straight out to 70/80yds. I could do 6" 4/5 shot groups at 70 - and could still tag within the 12" center at 80 without a pin so I felt comfortable, I know most frown upon longer than 40yrds. I'm guessing most are like my buddies who struggle to keep on a 20" block at 60yds.

Your center caps look great - good idea and great job.
My wheels aren't powder coated. They only have been plasti dipped in charcoal grey and now coated in 2 layers of Plasti dip smoke.
After the smoke - they now nearly match the car - which is not what I was going for. Even my wife commented tonight on how there needs to be more of a silverfish/ grayish tone in the color. Gunmetal would be a better color I think.
I'll need new tires soon, so I'm contemplating on a second aftermarket set, then peeling all this off and storing the stock set for re-sale down the road. Not really sure at this point. For now though - I think it looks better than the stock silver.
Here is some close ups of plasti dip-

Grill - stock chrome with appx 5-6 coats of plasti dip smoke ( wish I had more smoke - because this is how I wanted my wheels)

Plasti dip charcoal 4-5 coats, then 2 coats of smoke

Same as above

Same as above

Same as above (all the same wheel - just different distances)
Old 10-09-13, 09:12 PM
240M3SRT
Rookie

I know what you mean about consistency and practice. I have shot 1" spots at 90 yards with my crossbow, but as you know everything comes into play at that range...anti-cant scope bubble level, wind direction, rotation of the earth(kidding on that last one lol). Unfortunately i dont have the space where im currently living to allow me to get into the reloading game But i did build my first AR last year!

I get it now about your wheels. Your becoming quite the artist with plastidip. It appears that stuff likes to set into a somewhat textured finish, or is that just the camera angle? I think they definitely look better than silver, and id be content with that until you get another set of wheels for perfection. BTW, have you considered painting your calipers? I was thinking of doing mine with G2 epoxy caliper paint in either gold or orange(hoping it looks copper/bronzish). What do you think?

Last edited by 240M3SRT; 10-09-13 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-10-13, 12:41 AM
240M3SRT
Rookie

I got to thinking...gold or orange brakes are pretty loud, and thus the car would need some serious power to back up the statement, which the is350 doesnt really have. I decided with the whole "blue smoke" theme to give the G2 blue paint a try, to sort of mimick the F Sport brakes. Question is, should i do the "F Sport" decal in white, black, or dark grey(leaning towards black or dark grey since nothing on the car is white)?
Old 10-10-13, 05:36 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

I have considered painting the calipers. It's not on my top priority list right now. Not sure on the other colors - IMO depends on other colors of the car that tie it together.
I have a red Noveske sticker on my back window, I personally would consider red calipers because they'd match.
Or possibly SGM colored calipers with the Lexus decal in red - then it's not so flashy.

I think I'm going to end up with new wheels. Probably the Avant 310's in Dolphin grey.

Last edited by FI4runner; 10-10-13 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-10-13, 10:04 PM
240M3SRT
Rookie

Oh i do like those Avante Guards, only second to the Linea Corsas! Worried that 19" tires cost to much, change the speedo, and get killed by potholes(Dallas roads are terrible). Please post pics when you get those rims or paint your calipers
Old 10-11-13, 08:04 AM
FI4runner
Intermediate

19's won't change the speedo or throw anything off if you run the 35 series tires. You can't fit 40 series with 19's - so you'd be fine in that department.
The problem for me with 19's is the 35 series ride quality.
I think I may end up with 18's so I can still run 40 series tires.
If I go 19's I'll be doing these Avant 368 's

Last edited by FI4runner; 10-11-13 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-13-13, 11:18 PM
240M3SRT
Rookie

Good to know about the speedo. Same here with the 35's series tires...not so much ride quality but the thin tires will be a ticking time bomb for a pothole when i am not paying attention.

Those wheels are pretty cool but i typically lean towards an odd number of spokes myself(7 or 9). Just looks like a bit too much negative space asking for a brake upgrade i cant afford LOL. Just my opinion.

Got my tinted tail lights back and almost looked like stock so having my painter go darker. BTW, how do you like that lip? Where is the cheapest place to get one from?
Old 10-14-13, 08:48 AM
FI4runner
Intermediate

After this weekend and all the roads I've been on - I have to go 18's. There is no way 35 series will work for me unfortuantely.
I'll be doing the 18" M310's in Dolphin grey.
I like my lip - but I don't even know which one I have. LOL...It came with the car
I wouldn't go too dark on them tails I'd like to see what they look like now.
PS - those wheels above are 20"

Last edited by FI4runner; 10-14-13 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-17-13, 01:07 PM
240M3SRT
Rookie

Here are the tail lights after he sprayed them a bit darker the second time. They still show the red through they are just more toned down now and blend into the color of the car more IMO. Even at night the reflectors still reflect just a bit of light and you can still see the red so they seem "more legal"

Now i just need to switch to a black LP!
Attached Thumbnails Hello from Dallas, and a few LED questions.-tint-tail-light1.jpg   Hello from Dallas, and a few LED questions.-tint-tail-light-2.jpg   Hello from Dallas, and a few LED questions.-tint-tail-light-3.jpg  

Last edited by 240M3SRT; 10-17-13 at 01:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Hello from Dallas, and a few LED questions.