Blown ML Subwoofer - Any fixes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-13, 10:26 AM
veejaay24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Blown ML Subwoofer - Any fixes?

Hey guys,

I know I haven't posted anything in a while but nothing interesting was done with my IS350 since my last post :P

Anyway, I have a 2007 IS350 and my ML subwoofer blew . And i did a LOT of research regarding this issue. No rips unfortunately.

I took it out already. Here are some pics.

I noticed that weird blue stuff near the centre.

What is the problem with the sub? What are my options? Thanks for your time in advance.

PS I don't think sending the sub to simplyspeakers.com is a good an option for me, since I'm in Canada and I don't think customs and shipping will be easy and cheap.

Last edited by veejaay24; 09-15-13 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-15-13, 12:23 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Check to make sure the woofer didn't separate from the center cone. That's what mine did. Push down on the woofer in the area around the center piece. You may be able to re-glue it, but I ended up replacing mine.
Old 09-15-13, 12:42 PM
veejaay24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cali2is
Check to make sure the woofer didn't separate from the center cone. That's what mine did. Push down on the woofer in the area around the center piece. You may be able to re-glue it, but I ended up replacing mine.
Thanks for the input! I just checked, and no separation. Everything is still attached .
Old 09-16-13, 06:02 AM
ISFHEMS
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by veejaay24
Thanks for the input! I just checked, and no separation. Everything is still attached .
I had the same problem, clink the link below to see how I fixed mine.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693815
Old 09-16-13, 06:42 AM
veejaay24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS350HEMS
I had the same problem, clink the link below to see how I fixed mine.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=693815
Thanks for the input. Your thread was one of the first I checked for this issue. The entire sub is solid, nothing loose or broken. I was hoping to use the hot glue fix.

I'm starting to think that the voice coil is burnt. And of course I wouldn't be able to tell by pushing the woofer due to it's design, and how the voice coil is positioned.
Old 09-16-13, 07:22 AM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

U can go aftermarket it will require modification of spend 300 and get one from sewells
Old 09-16-13, 07:47 AM
vapid2323
Pole Position

Just send it into these guys and get it fixed. http://www.simplyspeakers.com/lexus-...er-repair.html

No need to go aftermarket or buy a new one
Old 09-16-13, 04:22 PM
dong888
Pole Position

I had the exactly same thing happened to my ML sub. There are no visible rip at the edge of cone or crack at the crown. The sub looked just fine. The blue stuff you had shown in the picture is normal as I have it on my old and new sub as well.

I also looked into the simplyspeaker solution and was going to order the surround kit. I did cut open the top side of the sub (thru the soft foam) just to check the surround and have found the surround to be intact as well. I ended up buying brand new subwoofer from Lexus dealer. After swap, it works again.

I actually have another brand new one as spare since dealer sent me 2 subs by mistake. pm me if you are interested.
Old 09-16-13, 08:17 PM
Jake
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/lexus-...er-repair.html fixed mine when I had my 06 350 with ML. It lasted about 6 months and it started going bad again. It just depends on how much bass heavy music you listen to.
Old 09-17-13, 09:07 PM
veejaay24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Shervin350
U can go aftermarket it will require modification of spend 300 and get one from sewells
I'm considering the aftermarket route. $300 plus shipping and taxes for the ML doesn't seem worth it anymore.

Originally Posted by vapid2323
Just send it into these guys and get it fixed. http://www.simplyspeakers.com/lexus-...er-repair.html

No need to go aftermarket or buy a new one
Originally Posted by jakers95
http://www.simplyspeakers.com/lexus-...er-repair.html fixed mine when I had my 06 350 with ML. It lasted about 6 months and it started going bad again. It just depends on how much bass heavy music you listen to.
Thanks guys for the input. Simplyspeakers can't work for me, shipping and customs from and to Canada will be too much of a pain, won't be worth it I think.

Originally Posted by dong888
I had the exactly same thing happened to my ML sub. There are no visible rip at the edge of cone or crack at the crown. The sub looked just fine. The blue stuff you had shown in the picture is normal as I have it on my old and new sub as well.

I also looked into the simplyspeaker solution and was going to order the surround kit. I did cut open the top side of the sub (thru the soft foam) just to check the surround and have found the surround to be intact as well. I ended up buying brand new subwoofer from Lexus dealer. After swap, it works again.

I actually have another brand new one as spare since dealer sent me 2 subs by mistake. pm me if you are interested.
Thanks for the offer. I don't think shipping to Canada will be a pleasure for me, taxes and shipping will sting quite a bit. I really do appreciate the offer though.

Last edited by veejaay24; 09-17-13 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-17-13, 09:14 PM
veejaay24
Driver School Candidate

Overall, here are my options:

I've decided not to buy a new ML Subwoofer, just too costly for that puny thing.

I can go with the aftermarket route, I'm just a little short on cash flow though. I see myself starting off with the MTX TNP212D2 set for the time being, and upgrading when I get the chance.

I can run to a local scrapyard and see if I can pull out an ML subwoofer or an entire setup (I got this idea from a friend).

Thoughts?

Last edited by veejaay24; 09-17-13 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-17-13, 10:34 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Lexus updated the ML Sub, not sure what year, but I would look at a 2010 or newer model. Good luck.
Old 09-18-13, 02:57 PM
veejaay24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cali2is
Lexus updated the ML Sub, not sure what year, but I would look at a 2010 or newer model. Good luck.
Alright, I will. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-18-13, 03:34 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a non-ML sub for sale in the classifieds.
Plugs right in and it's the same dimensions. I think the ML system has an upgraded amp but the subs are the same. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 09-18-13, 03:56 PM
veejaay24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CCJ22
I have a non-ML sub for sale in the classifieds.
Plugs right in and it's the same dimensions. I think the ML system has an upgraded amp but the subs are the same. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
The ML Sub is different for sure, but yeah it should fit in place. I don't know about the connector though. Anyone know about this?

Quick Reply: Blown ML Subwoofer - Any fixes?