IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

is my car considered a ricer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-13, 01:48 PM
2012IS250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is my car considered a ricer?

Strange question but I really want to know. I completely despise ricers because they 1) put on an obnoxiously loud exhaust and it just sounds horrible and 2) when they floor it, their car doesn't go fast at all. I've done some things to my car but it's an IS 250, not a 350 so I know the car doesn't go fast at all. The thing is, I just recently put on a megan racing axle back and a custom pipe to replace the resonator. The reason why I went with this setup is because I love the rumble of American Muscle but I obviously couldn't replicate the sound on a Japanese car and I dislike any of the JDM exhaust sounds because they all have too high of a tone for my liking and the Megan Racing was the closest I could get to the tone that I want. Also because to me, the factory exhaust is just too quiet, I like to hear the sound of my exhaust (previous car I owned was a mustang V6 with a single aftermarket muffler, when I was revving it I could hear the rumble and the exhaust sort of pop a little). Next, I got 8K DRLs and I have 6K low beams with 3K fog lights. That's all that I have, no other mods. Is this considered rice? I honestly don't consider it rice because I know I didn't go overboard with the modifications but to other people I drive passed, they may consider it to be rice. Please give me some feedback as I really want to know. Thanks.
Old 09-09-13, 02:00 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pictures would help
Old 09-09-13, 02:04 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

technically any Japanese car can be called a ricer because Americans would always make fun of Japanese cars with small engines. therefore all JDM= RICE (Japenese, Rice, Get it? hopefully you got it)

If your talking about in todays terms of rice, really gotta see the car to decide but if anyone hates, you got a lexus IS250, not really a cheap car to obtain and mod for most people. For people who hate on it, if it even is considered RICE, tell them to suck it cuz chances are they cant afford it. Who ever calls any ISX50 a RICE got some *****!

its really to each their own. Ive seen people who so call "Trick" or "Pimp" their car with all autozone **** yet they are completely proud of their car no matter how crappy it looks.

so if you are happy with your car then it is NOT RICE
Old 09-09-13, 02:12 PM
AlFakher
Driver School Candidate

Quality thread, this.
Old 09-09-13, 02:23 PM
ISF4TRACK
Driver School Candidate

^^^ LOL, precisely what I was thinking.

Anyway, post up some pics of your ride OP so we can determine it's rice-ability.
Old 09-09-13, 02:23 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

If you're this concerned with other people's judgement on your car, seems like you aren't modding it for yourself, and you might not even like it... Just sayin! Everyone has their own taste, whether its autozone or Jdm, just do what you like and don't expect everyone to like it. Lol
Old 09-09-13, 02:42 PM
cr3ativ3x
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pic it up! Lol we can vote
Old 09-09-13, 02:47 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 139 Posts

it's all rice.. but there's different level or rice..

yours could be just soy sauce and eggs fried rice..
or lobster fried rice with cage free eggs..

need pix to decide. from the way you describe.. it does sound like rice.. i was borderline until you said 8k.
Old 09-09-13, 02:54 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like rice to me.
Old 09-09-13, 02:56 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Opinions will vary... as long as you don't have the stuff that are on the Honda's, you are safe.

Luckily, most of the aftermarket exhaust for the IS, make the car sound more ballsy and deep... not the high pitch, loud, raspy exhaust cans on "rice" mobiles.

If you have more decals ("Powerd by XXX", TRD, "Vtec Inside", etc) than mods, then it's a rice for sure. If you have more vent holes than horsepower, than that's a rice. If you have a rear spoiler larger than a Boeing 747 wing, it's a rice.

Definitely, do not cut holes into your rear bumper, that's a rice move also.
Old 09-09-13, 03:01 PM
2012IS250
Pole Position

Alright, I'll post some pics up either later today or tomorrow. btw I did mod it for myself, I like the appearance of HIDs and I know for Lexus people, the most popular is slightly blue low beams and yellow fog lights as well as the sound of the exhaust. I was going to lower the car but decided not to, the front bumper is already scratched up enough.
Old 09-09-13, 03:03 PM
2012IS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shadowman
Opinions will vary... as long as you don't have the stuff that are on the Honda's, you are safe.

Luckily, most of the aftermarket exhaust for the IS, make the car sound more ballsy and deep... not the high pitch, loud, raspy exhaust cans on "rice" mobiles.

If you have more decals ("Powerd by XXX", TRD, "Vtec Inside", etc) than mods, then it's a rice for sure. If you have more vent holes than horsepower, than that's a rice. If you have a rear spoiler larger than a Boeing 747 wing, it's a rice.

Definitely, do not cut holes into your rear bumper, that's a rice move also.
I have absolutely no decals for my car (I have some Fox stickers within my car on top of the dashboard). I have the stock spoiler that came with the car, and other than the the grille, there are no vent holes haha.
Old 09-09-13, 03:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

A Lexus will never be ricey. Not with those mods. If someone calls your Lexus a rice car I would simply rub my thumb and index finger together to make the cash symbol. Tell that clown he is driving a POS and you're driving a Lexus ( I did that to a dude in a Mustang that I smoked in my G35. He gave me the finger after I dusted him and I reminded him that his car was a POS) I always felt that ricey cars were cheap Japanese 4 cylinder cars with no ***** that need to mask the lack of power with the loudest exhaust they can bolt on
Old 09-09-13, 03:13 PM
1Clean06IS
Pole Position

Yea, I think you will be alright, its going to be hard to make a Lexus seem like a civic, however the 8k drls are starting to go that way.....
Old 09-09-13, 04:00 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

RICE is an acronym for Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements. That means any mod that makes your car look faster but doesn't really add any performance gain.

your exhaust probably nets you probably around 4 hp, therefore by definition it is borderline, but if you like the sound, then i say you stick with it.

8K lights reduce visibility compare to OEM lights. Therefore it is a ricer mod, no question asked.

But the real question is, why do you care so much about being label as a ricer? It is sad to see as this car becomes more affordable, the quality of owner goes down...

Quick Reply: is my car considered a ricer?