IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus Recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-13, 12:53 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by panda08
does anyone have the affected vin range?
You can find out if yours is affected by logging on Lexus.com and setting up an account (assuming you haven't already). Once setup, cllick "Safety Recalls & Service Campaigns" next to your VIN ; it will look something like this like mine does :

2006 IS350
Safety Recall DLG (D2G) Preliminary Notice - Certain 2006 to 2011 Model Year IS350, Certain 2010 to 2011 Model Year IS350C and Certain 2007 to 2011 Model Year GS350 Vehicles - 2GR-FSE Intake VVT Actuator Gear
At the present time, Lexus is currently preparing the remedy.

What is the Condition? The subject vehicles are equipped with a Variable-Valve Timing (VVT) system which controls the camshafts to provide optimal valve timing under certain driving conditions. The bolts used to secure the housing and sprocket of the intake-side VVT gear assembly could become loose due to abnormal impacts generated within the gear assembly immediately after a cold start-up. If this occurs, the VVT gear will not control the intake valves correctly. In certain cases, the VVT gear housing and sprocket could separate and result in an engine stall while the vehicle is being driven, increasing the risk of a crash.

When will the Remedy be Available: The remedy procedures will be provided to each dealership in the near future. At which time, Lexus will notify owners of covered vehicles by first class mail. Additional information will be posted on this site once the remedy is available.

Schedule Service

To view recall information, click here.
Old 09-16-13, 01:11 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gville350, mine has that too. but I think they post that for everyone regardless if they are in the affected vin range or not.
Old 09-16-13, 03:25 PM
showtymers
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive had this cam rattle start up and my wifes is an 250 i think they need to look into it further
Old 09-16-13, 04:11 PM
flameazn
Driver School Candidate

I called my local lexus service department, and they told me to wait for the letter and contact them again. And they seem like don't know what that recall about. should i just go there and check with them or i just wait for that letter?
Old 09-16-13, 04:17 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flameazn
I called my local lexus service department, and they told me to wait for the letter and contact them again. And they seem like don't know what that recall about. should i just go there and check with them or i just wait for that letter?
They are telling you the truth. Even the recall says
"When will the Remedy be Available: The remedy procedures will be provided to each dealership in the near future. At which time, Lexus will notify owners of covered vehicles by first class mail. Additional information will be posted on this site once the remedy is available"
That means that dealership have not yet recieved parts/training to do the recall yet.

You nagging them won't make it any better, infact your car might be a guinea pig to learn on if its the first one. Reading comprehension
Old 09-17-13, 01:17 AM
tiny2009
Rookie

It'll be interesting to see if I'll be covered down here in NZ. With my car being imported from Japan and the IS350 not being sold new until 2010 (2010+ not affected by the fault?) they may not acknowledge the recall. I've contacted my local dealer and they are at least looking into it. For what it's worth I'll update if/when I hear more.
Old 09-17-13, 04:19 AM
MAFIA
Driver School Candidate

Im getting this sound when i start my 07 is250 when cold, should I contact lexus?
Old 09-18-13, 11:53 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

time for a 13 or 14 GS350
Old 09-26-13, 11:05 AM
jusclark13
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

contacted my local lexus dealer today and they said they are not performing the work to fix the recall because they had not received the parts or information on how to fix it. If anyone has any more info let me know cuz from what I understand they have to rebuild the entire top half of the engine!
Old 10-03-13, 08:13 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by jusclark13
contacted my local lexus dealer today and they said they are not performing the work to fix the recall because they had not received the parts or information on how to fix it. If anyone has any more info let me know cuz from what I understand they have to rebuild the entire top half of the engine!
From what I understand it is just a valve in the head that holds oil. So when you do cold start oil stays in the valve as apposed to our design of oil seeping and allowing space in the cam tensioner until the pressure builds back up
Old 10-06-13, 07:09 PM
jusclark13
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
From what I understand it is just a valve in the head that holds oil. So when you do cold start oil stays in the valve as apposed to our design of oil seeping and allowing space in the cam tensioner until the pressure builds back up
investigated this issue a little more and it seems as if Lexus is determine whether they will need to rebuild the entire upper engine or simply replace the entire engine because this recall can cause premature engine failure.

This is just what I have gather by talking to various Lexus techs, lexus corporate, and various research on the topic.
Old 10-06-13, 07:58 PM
circuitt
Pole Position

I don't think they are going to hand out brand new engines to everyone. That would be sweet.

Originally Posted by jusclark13
investigated this issue a little more and it seems as if Lexus is determine whether they will need to rebuild the entire upper engine or simply replace the entire engine because this recall can cause premature engine failure.

This is just what I have gather by talking to various Lexus techs, lexus corporate, and various research on the topic.
Old 10-06-13, 10:26 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Does it really need an engine rebuild? I assume the fix would be the same as another guy that had posted about this issue causing his engine to stall in another thread -- not sure how the dealer fix that.
Old 10-06-13, 11:56 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

I would assume corporate would want the most cost effective way to resolve this recall. Replacing motors could be very expensive.
Old 10-07-13, 04:04 AM
See5
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

can any one upload the original messege from Toyota for me ?

I have IS350 that I brought from USA one year ago and the dealer in my country doesn't even sells the IS with 350 engine nor 250 , he only sells IS300 .

I don't know what to do , I guess I can make a claim to Toyota though because the rattiling is happening pretty often in my engine.

thanks a lot

Quick Reply: Lexus Recall