IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus Recall

Old 09-05-13, 07:38 PM
WeisISF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokyis350
This is getting ridiculous. How many recalls did the IS350 have so far? I got the windshield one done last week, valve spring, sticky gas pedal, now this.

Let's not even talk about the 10 TSIB I got also. Unbelievable. Where are the people that keep bragging about how reliable a Toyota/Lexus?
A recall is there to make sure something that "could" happen dosnt happen.
Old 09-05-13, 07:56 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neweyslex
I wonder if this is the same as the "startup rattle" during startup.
I doubt it because if this were the fix for the start up rattle the 250's would be included as well. I as well as many others with a 250 have this rattle on start up occasionally
Old 09-05-13, 08:14 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tex2670
Jeez--I'm still waiting for the parts to come in for the wiper assembly recall. At least with a 250, I don't have to worry about this one...
Don't wait for a letter to come to your door, necessarily, just mention it when you take yours in for service and they will probably update you with any small recall items due automatically. I think they give priority to those who come into the dealer and ask for it proactively, versus waiting until a slow period to send out notification letters to folks to make appointments. At least that's been my experience.
Old 09-06-13, 06:31 AM
magnuscat
Rookie

This is getting ridiculous. How many recalls did the IS350 have so far? I got the windshield one done last week, valve spring, sticky gas pedal, now this.

Let's not even talk about the 10 TSIB I got also. Unbelievable. Where are the people that keep bragging about how reliable a Toyota/Lexus?
Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
you dont even want to know about the common issues the 335 has that the BMW will not fix for you outside of warranty. My car is 7 years old and is going to get a 6 hour labor and valvetrain replacement for free. Who else does that? I couldve easily been out $3-4k with Lexus saying LOL tough.
Exactly what I was thinking.

And the average number of issues and maintenance upkeep for BMW after they get 75k miles or so on them. There are only a few of these issues that Lexus is forced to make any effort to fix, especially out of warranty cars. People who own Lexus hear about the Lexus because they own them. Add to that that Lexus is very proactive. It is exactly this reason that I bought the IS350 instead of a 335.
Old 09-06-13, 08:59 AM
Tarrant64
Pole Position

I think people keep considering recalls a bad things for any car manufacturer. A recall is good in the way that the manufacturer has recognized an issue and feels their customers shouldn't have to pay for it and they are willing to fit the bill, no matter how large the issue. Some companies really try to avoid this altogether.

Most recalls are small replacement parts, no big deal. At least I know the car I have is backed by a company that is more willing to resolve the issues.

It's only visible here because as a community we all do a really good job of informing others about potential and current issues. It may look bad at first glance, but this is good because it prevents someone from taking their car to some generic shop and paying hundreds (if not thousands) for something Lexus will fix for free.
Old 09-06-13, 09:15 AM
neomedic
Pole Position

Does anyone have a list of all the recall for the IS350?

For me, I feel there are only a 2-3 major recalls. The gas pedal is BS and I've kept the original. The windshield wiper nut tightening and some other tightening of fuel line or some line is not a "serious" recall in my book like this one.

I have some done already so I won't be able to just look at the lexus website on my car.
Old 09-07-13, 12:04 PM
martyb511
Driver School Candidate

I'm assuming they'll have to take the intake off to get to that area.....could having a f-sport intake void any service or could they deny it just cause they'd have to remove and reinstall it?
Old 09-07-13, 12:43 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by martyb511
I'm assuming they'll have to take the intake off to get to that area.....could having a f-sport intake void any service or could they deny it just cause they'd have to remove and reinstall it?
No and no.

Jeff
Old 09-07-13, 01:24 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

I think you guys are missing the point. I purchased a Lexus to avoid the headaches of going to the dealership for repairs. I have been to the dealership in my Lexus than any other car I have owned. And that includes a 335. I brought the IS350 in for 4 recalls and over 10 TSIB and that doesn't even include other issues that I have to bring my car in for repair under warranty.

you dont even want to know about the common issues the 335 has that the BMW will not fix for you outside of warranty. My car is 7 years old and is going to get a 6 hour labor and valvetrain replacement for free. Who else does that? I couldve easily been out $3-4k with Lexus saying LOL tough.
Fuel pump, which is covered to 10year/120k miles.

Why would Lexus not recall or fix the valve spring? You understand that it can be a safety hazard when the spring comes loose at high RPM. It happened to a GS350 and it caused significant damage to the engine worth over $10k in damages.

Originally Posted by laobo979
Did you windshield wiper go flying off before that? Did you engine drop dead before the valve spring? Did you car automatic speed up? I'm guessing no so just cause there recalling to fix it doesn't mean it isn't reliable. If you so against it sale your car and move on.
That doesn't mean that my windshield wiper won't go flying off one day if I don't repair it nor that the valve spring wont come loose at high RPM causing significant damages to my engine. It is a recall for a reason because it may cause a safety issue or a potential headache for the dealer and the owner.

I will be selling my car soon. It will be my first and last Lexus I will ever own.
Old 09-07-13, 01:54 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

I called dealer and they stated that they don't have part to take care of problem now. I will call Lexus customer service on Monday to find out what part they need to repair it
Old 09-07-13, 03:08 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

theres a lot more than the fuel pump that goes wrong on the BMW 335 that the dealer will not fix outside of warranty, 17 of them to be exact according to E90post. Fuel pump was a big problem and it took a lot of teeth pulling to get them to acknowledge it was a problem. Lexus proactively finds a problem with a car and offers to fix it for free and its bad?
Old 09-07-13, 07:05 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

theres a lot more than the fuel pump that goes wrong on the BMW 335 that the dealer will not fix outside of warranty, 17 of them to be exact according to E90post. Fuel pump was a big problem and it took a lot of teeth pulling to get them to acknowledge it was a problem. Lexus proactively finds a problem with a car and offers to fix it for free and its bad?
So this is about listing every single issue about a 335 vs a IS350? You make it seem like Lexus would repair TSIB outside of warranty for free.

If you want to nickel and dime each problem a 335 has how about just looking at the TSIB list for the IS250/350. It consists of 41 items.

http://www.lexustsb.com/categories/L...7B47%7D+IS350/

I'm not complaining about Lexus recalling the problem and finding a solution promptly. I am disappointed that there are so many problems with the IS350. My original purpose of purchasing a Lexus is because of their reliability but my car has been in the dealership for recall/TSIB/warranty repairs more than any other car I have owned.
Old 09-08-13, 08:29 AM
Tarrant64
Pole Position

So this is about listing every single issue about a 335 vs a IS350? You make it seem like Lexus would repair TSIB outside of warranty for free.

If you want to nickel and dime each problem a 335 has how about just looking at the TSIB list for the IS250/350. It consists of 41 items.

http://www.lexustsb.com/categories/L...7B47%7D+IS350/

I'm not complaining about Lexus recalling the problem and finding a solution promptly. I am disappointed that there are so many problems with the IS350. My original purpose of purchasing a Lexus is because of their reliability but my car has been in the dealership for recall/TSIB/warranty repairs more than any other car I have owned.
If you're going to throw numbers around know that at least 5 of those results were just information guides so its more like 36.

Lastly some of those TSIBs are nothing more than informational and not defect related. Actual issues that required Lexus to replace something are even less than the 36 issues you claim show up here.

Audio quick reference guide, seat belt extenders, how to guides? Please, its not that bad. TSIBs are used for more than just vehicle defects. So I guess your search results aren't a good reflection on the actual issues.

I count 2 recalls, 5 non-tsibs, a mix of how tos and maybe 10-15 mechanical defects which mainly are small problems.

Last edited by Tarrant64; 09-08-13 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-08-13, 12:18 PM
Gville350

Received 426 Likes on 382 Posts

Those that's are familiar with the "cam rattle fix", what all is entailed in accessing the cam gears? Does Lexus to remove the entire front cover/front seal? So they are saying that the issue here is a possible loose bolt, guessing that won't include replacing of any actual cam gears that cause the "cam rattle"? Just guessing, but perhaps a new bolt with Loctite on it and a different torque will be used to "cure" the recalled product fault.
Old 09-08-13, 05:58 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

well a loose bolt could do cause damage and accelerated wear to other components, so because of that some components will need replacing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus Recall