IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Considering buying a 2010 fully loaded from Carmax. Good price but...need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-13, 07:32 PM
kgh31386
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Considering buying a 2010 fully loaded from Carmax. Good price but...need advice

So my wife and I are car shopping for her to replace her current car. She loves my G37s sedan and really wants a smoke colored IS with dark wood, nav, etc. We couldn't find one and were set on leasing a Mini Countryman instead since that was her 2nd choice. We were told to go to carmax just to see what kind of appraisal we would be quoted. Well not only did Carmax offer us more than kbb trade-in for her car, they have the exact IS250 we were looking for. It's fully loaded, 2010 with 49k miles....for $23,500. The car rode awesome, handled great, no wobbles or anything in the steering, BUT........yes BUT. When I drove it, I wanted to get a good feel for it and noticed a scrubbing/rubbing sound when you hit the brakes. I checked the pads when we got back to the dealer and of course it had some carquest pads on it, yet they looked new. The salesman is holding it and said they will check the brakes first thing tomorrow morning. Anyone have any advice about it? What would cause that kind of noise? I'm going to call around in the AM for extended warranty quotes from the guys mentioned on the boards.
Old 08-25-13, 07:40 PM
Nsteezyy
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kgh31386
So my wife and I are car shopping for her to replace her current car. She loves my G37s sedan and really wants a smoke colored IS with dark wood, nav, etc. We couldn't find one and were set on leasing a Mini Countryman instead since that was her 2nd choice. We were told to go to carmax just to see what kind of appraisal we would be quoted. Well not only did Carmax offer us more than kbb trade-in for her car, they have the exact IS250 we were looking for. It's fully loaded, 2010 with 49k miles....for $23,500. The car rode awesome, handled great, no wobbles or anything in the steering, BUT........yes BUT. When I drove it, I wanted to get a good feel for it and noticed a scrubbing/rubbing sound when you hit the brakes. I checked the pads when we got back to the dealer and of course it had some carquest pads on it, yet they looked new. The salesman is holding it and said they will check the brakes first thing tomorrow morning. Anyone have any advice about it? What would cause that kind of noise? I'm going to call around in the AM for extended warranty quotes from the guys mentioned on the boards.
I'm not sure what it might be but...
I actually just bought my 06 Is350 from CarMax, and their warranty is AMAZING. I got the extended warranty as well as the 30-day warranty. I had a reverse problem and they got me a new transmission for $0. They kept me updated on every move they made. I highly suggest the warranty. I got mine for $1,500 good for 160,000 miles. Currently at 106,xxx. Their warranty is amazing.. I'm going back to get my brakes changed and a new driver side fog light since both are going bad.
Old 08-25-13, 07:43 PM
lateapex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be that the car was sitting for a while and the rotors had a little surface rust, especially if it's constantly being washed like on a carlot.
Old 08-25-13, 08:13 PM
kgh31386
Pole Position

Yeah they offered me the extended warranty for around $1700 which covers me to 125k miles. I've been researching warranties and some say they love the warranty. Others say they would only do a Lexus or factory warranty(BMW and infiniti forums). Salesman did tell me if I take it to Lexus and they fix it, I pay $100 deductible. If I bring it to carmax, $0. But I'd rather Lexus fix anything
Old 08-25-13, 09:13 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kgh31386
Yeah they offered me the extended warranty for around $1700 which covers me to 125k miles. I've been researching warranties and some say they love the warranty. Others say they would only do a Lexus or factory warranty(BMW and infiniti forums). Salesman did tell me if I take it to Lexus and they fix it, I pay $100 deductible. If I bring it to carmax, $0. But I'd rather Lexus fix anything
Look at that, a salesman that lie to you, that's unusual... Stick with the Lexusplatinum one, it's 0% deductible plus you know you get great service for your car not aftermaket parts carmax will put.
Old 08-26-13, 05:46 AM
lateapex
Rookie

Originally Posted by keyframe13
Look at that, a salesman that lie to you, that's unusual... Stick with the Lexusplatinum one, it's 0% deductible plus you know you get great service for your car not aftermaket parts carmax will put.
Beat me to it, they will replace parts with the cheapest aftermarket parts they can find.
Old 08-26-13, 10:29 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
+ You'll probably get a Lexus loaner if your car is ever in the shop long
Old 08-26-13, 12:18 PM
kgh31386
Pole Position

I called up the Lexus service lady, she pulled the service history and told me they did tires, battery, etc but skipped the 30k and 45k service(which I would too because I do that stuff myself). She also said people bring their cars in all the time with the Carmax warranty and they haven't denied any claims before, said it's legit around here. Well I did some searching. Lexus offered me the 7 yr/100k Platinum for $2025. The Carmax warranty is $1700 for 125k miles with $100 deductible.

As far as the brake scrubbing, they pulled the brakes this morning and found a small rock under one of the shims. He said the noise is gone and I can come check it out after work. Depending on how the thing rides and sounds we'll probably get it tomorrow...I plan on putting it through it's paces tonight just a bit and making sure no knocking in the steering, leaks, smoke, groans, farts, etc.
Old 08-26-13, 12:24 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

For the model year, the price isn't bad.
Old 08-26-13, 02:10 PM
kgh31386
Pole Position

I called around for the Lexus platinum warranty. The dealership a couple hours away quoted me less than the Carmax warranty, MUCH less. If the car checks out tonight, gonna buy it tomorrow. I'll let you guys know.
Old 08-26-13, 02:57 PM
Davidcv4
Driver

That sounds like a good buy and just in case you haven't heard the word on the street yet, platinum warranty from Lexus only is the better option. You get what you pay for with cars like this. Look forward to welcoming you to our community
Old 08-26-13, 03:21 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

quick question about carmax... if i was to bring a car in to get an estimate for them to buy. does the demographic area apply or will carmax give me the same quote all state side?
Old 08-26-13, 08:40 PM
kgh31386
Pole Position

I went and drove the car quite a bit tonight. The brake groan sound has gone away, but it still has a humming from the brake pads when you brake medium to hard. It has good stopping distance and didn't have any vibrations or pulsations...just that hmmmmmm/whine sound that got slower and lower pitched as the car slowed down. It's definitely some kind of friction sound. I'm not sure if it's because of cheap pads or what. Perhaps the brakes haven't been bedded properly? Car has 48,900 miles on it. If I do decide to buy it tomorrow, it goes to Lexus for a full inspection. Carmax said I can't do it before hand

Last edited by kgh31386; 08-26-13 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-27-13, 07:28 AM
LexFather

Could just be bad pads...if they skilled 30k and 45k it will need to be done, at least the major 30/60/90.

Good luck
Old 08-27-13, 08:46 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Could be pads or the rotors could be warped...find out if she shaved the rotors before or is it the original surface?!

Quick Reply: Considering buying a 2010 fully loaded from Carmax. Good price but...need advice