IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2012 Headlights - Is it worth the upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-13, 08:20 AM
ICU2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Headlights - Is it worth the upgrade?

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering does anyone have any buyers remorse after upgrading to the 2012 headlights?

I'm currently fence sitting, one moment I say that I need them and the next moment I can't justify the purchase. It's such a hard decision!

I was offered a brand new stripped set for $1100 - is that price decent?

Thanks!
Old 08-12-13, 08:53 AM
RVCAis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO, the LED strip headlights was the best mod I have done for my car. It refreshes the car so much and makes it look instantly newer. It's also more aggressive and just has a better flow throughout the rest of the car. And the $1,100 price you were quoted is really good for a brand new set. The cheapest we can find a new set is Sewell when they have a discount and they are $1,200.
Old 08-12-13, 09:00 AM
Tactical
Driver School Candidate

I was like you as well, on the fence with it but decided to get it anyways and never looked back. Definitely worth every penny to update your car especially at the price that was given to you.
Old 08-12-13, 09:03 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes its worth it. Makes a huge difference.

And for that price your getting a good dea
Old 08-12-13, 09:10 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It the best mod I ever did as well. It changes the whole front of the car! 1100 is not too bad. I mean I got mine for $600 for the pair with 3000 miles on it but mine was a crackhead deal lol. I would say def get it bro
Old 08-12-13, 09:12 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

one question, for those who gotten the LED lights, did you turned off your DRLs? i saw one on the road the other day has both the LED and the DRLs on, looks really weird.
Old 08-12-13, 09:33 AM
ICU2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iRyan
It the best mod I ever did as well. It changes the whole front of the car! 1100 is not too bad. I mean I got mine for $600 for the pair with 3000 miles on it but mine was a crackhead deal lol. I would say def get it bro
I was hoping to find a used set for a similar price and ship it over but I'm located in Australia and apparently using LHD headlights on RHD roads is a big no-no in terms of visibility (and insurance liability).

The set that popped up for sale is so rare since I specifically need the RHD versions. I've only seen 2 other complete sets advertised here since the 2011+ models came up (the others were from wrecked cars).

Was the install hard for you guys? I'm pretty noob at all this car modding stuff - the DIY's looked fairly straight forward except for the wiring.

Did you all use relays to get the LED brightness to go from 100% ---> 50% with low beams on or just run at 100% all the time? There's a thread on it but nothing really specific.

Lastly, for those of you who purchased the stripped set, was it difficult to transfer the old ballast to the new headlights? I saw the JoeZ video on youtube and it looked pretty tricky (and that was him working on the ballasts off the headlights )

Sorry for all the questions!

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
one question, for those who gotten the LED lights, did you turned off your DRLs? i saw one on the road the other day has both the LED and the DRLs on, looks really weird.
I read that you're able to disable the DRL's with techstream or just take the wiring out of the harness to disable the DRL's although I'm not sure if they'd automatically turn off on "auto" mode with the 50-100% brightness circuit?
Old 08-12-13, 09:44 AM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
In the U.S., the DRLs ARE the LEDs. The person might have had a cheap LED add on himself.
Old 08-12-13, 11:12 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ICU2
I was hoping to find a used set for a similar price and ship it over but I'm located in Australia and apparently using LHD headlights on RHD roads is a big no-no in terms of visibility (and insurance liability).

The set that popped up for sale is so rare since I specifically need the RHD versions. I've only seen 2 other complete sets advertised here since the 2011+ models came up (the others were from wrecked cars).

Was the install hard for you guys? I'm pretty noob at all this car modding stuff - the DIY's looked fairly straight forward except for the wiring.

Did you all use relays to get the LED brightness to go from 100% ---> 50% with low beams on or just run at 100% all the time? There's a thread on it but nothing really specific.

Lastly, for those of you who purchased the stripped set, was it difficult to transfer the old ballast to the new headlights? I saw the JoeZ video on youtube and it looked pretty tricky (and that was him working on the ballasts off the headlights )

Sorry for all the questions!

I read that you're able to disable the DRL's with techstream or just take the wiring out of the harness to disable the DRL's although I'm not sure if they'd automatically turn off on "auto" mode with the 50-100% brightness circuit?
installation is pretty easy...i leave mine at 100% for all times and i also got my DRL shut off..

the transfer from what ive heard isn't hard but not exactly one two so make sure you follow all steps...

you can use tech stream n disable the drl, i don't know about the wire route
Old 08-12-13, 11:14 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by InspireME
In the U.S., the DRLs ARE the LEDs. The person might have had a cheap LED add on himself.
the person he saw upgraded his lights from 2006-2010 to the 2011+ LED...when you do that the LED n DRL will both be on unless the get it disabled.
Old 08-12-13, 11:26 AM
ihazabonar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to know if the cut off and beam pattern is superior to the 2006-2011 non LED headlights? I have TSX projectors in my 2006 but the bulbs keep blowing and I'm sick of replacing them. The cut off on the TSX is amazing. I would like to see a difference between the projectors (non LED vs LED headlights)
Old 08-12-13, 01:45 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think tsx has better cut off but LED strip still wins for me
Old 08-12-13, 03:08 PM
PumaFiveOh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iRyan
installation is pretty easy...i leave mine at 100% for all times and i also got my DRL shut off..

the transfer from what ive heard isn't hard but not exactly one two so make sure you follow all steps...

you can use tech stream n disable the drl, i don't know about the wire route
Did you also run the LED strips to a power source so they turn on with the car? Or are you running them off, and they only turn on when you turn the **** to parking lights or head lights on.

I just ordered a set of the stripped lights and I'm trying to see what needs to be done. People tell me I have to connect the green wires for the LED's together, then run them to a power source in the fuse box so that they turn on when the car does. Thanks!
Old 08-12-13, 03:12 PM
UtoyZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they're worth every penny IMHO
Old 08-12-13, 03:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I'll play devils advocate.

At the expense of AFS, no I don't think 2012 headlights are worth it

Quick Reply: 2012 Headlights - Is it worth the upgrade?