IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2012 Headlights - Is it worth the upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-13, 03:58 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
At the expense of AFS, no I don't think 2012 headlights are worth it
Me Neither. My HIDs are just fine the way they are

Lou
Old 08-12-13, 07:31 PM
biiishplz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll play devils advocate.

I'm glad somebody else feels the same way I do. I miss that feature every time I climb in someone else's car that lacks AFS. I do absolutely love the black housing aesthetic of the LED units, so I may be opening up my headlights soon and blackening them, just like my soul...
Old 08-12-13, 09:31 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

i would honestly say i want the look of the 2012 headlights but ill miss the functionality of the AFS headlights. But im sure once i get the LED healights, ill forget all about AFS then lol
Old 08-12-13, 09:48 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best thing ive done to the car.. and the 2012 tails
Old 08-12-13, 10:05 PM
Hbhandal
Rookie

The price is a little high , I would try and get a used set but they look amazing ! I'm planing on getting a set as well in a couple months.
Old 08-12-13, 10:19 PM
ICU2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hbhandal
The price is a little high , I would try and get a used set but they look amazing ! I'm planing on getting a set as well in a couple months.
There is seriously no stock of these headlights in the RHD market. I saw one used set on ebay germany for $500 but it was snapped up instantly .

Yeah, the main thing now is AFS vs LED. Form over function? It's such a hard choice!
Old 08-12-13, 11:05 PM
lopaka07
Rookie

I like my AFS as well.....not sure if I would jump over myself
Old 08-13-13, 02:24 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ICU2
I was hoping to find a used set for a similar price and ship it over but I'm located in Australia and apparently using LHD headlights on RHD roads is a big no-no in terms of visibility (and insurance liability).

The set that popped up for sale is so rare since I specifically need the RHD versions. I've only seen 2 other complete sets advertised here since the 2011+ models came up (the others were from wrecked cars).

Was the install hard for you guys? I'm pretty noob at all this car modding stuff - the DIY's looked fairly straight forward except for the wiring.

Did you all use relays to get the LED brightness to go from 100% ---> 50% with low beams on or just run at 100% all the time? There's a thread on it but nothing really specific.

Lastly, for those of you who purchased the stripped set, was it difficult to transfer the old ballast to the new headlights? I saw the JoeZ video on youtube and it looked pretty tricky (and that was him working on the ballasts off the headlights )

Sorry for all the questions!

I read that you're able to disable the DRL's with techstream or just take the wiring out of the harness to disable the DRL's although I'm not sure if they'd automatically turn off on "auto" mode with the 50-100% brightness circuit?
Just a little tip if you can't find a LHD set. If your car is HID equipped you can buy the RHD set and open both your stock lights and LED headlights and swap the projectors. The projectors on all HID equipped headlights between 2006-2013 is the same. Now take it this is a lot of work but it's the only way I can see you doing the swap legally especially if you have to go through an MOT.

Originally Posted by ihazabonar
I would like to know if the cut off and beam pattern is superior to the 2006-2011 non LED headlights? I have TSX projectors in my 2006 but the bulbs keep blowing and I'm sick of replacing them. The cut off on the TSX is amazing. I would like to see a difference between the projectors (non LED vs LED headlights)
The cut off on the LED lights is a tiny bit better than the none LED units but only by a tiny bit and now where near the performance of the TSX projector. I personally have retrofitted TSX projectors into many lights along with my own LED headlights and can tell you that you will be greatly disappointed if that's what you are use to.

Last edited by B16da9; 08-13-13 at 02:31 AM.
Old 08-13-13, 02:38 AM
ICU2
Pole Position

I went from my Honda Accord Euro (Badge engineered as the Acura TSX in your market) to the IS250 and found that the headlights weren't as good either. I thought about flipping the cutoff line but then I'd have to open the headlights which I wouldn't want to do because of the price.

Was re-wiring easy for you guys? I've read that huge 2011 headlights in the 06 model thread in its entirety and it seemed easy in the beginning but then reading through it, it just got more confusing with people switching the wiring and others saying that the new wiring isn't working :x

It seems as if running them at 100% all the time is pretty much the standard then?
Old 08-13-13, 04:32 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PumaFiveOh
Did you also run the LED strips to a power source so they turn on with the car? Or are you running them off, and they only turn on when you turn the **** to parking lights or head lights on. I just ordered a set of the stripped lights and I'm trying to see what needs to be done. People tell me I have to connect the green wires for the LED's together, then run them to a power source in the fuse box so that they turn on when the car does. Thanks!
The LED has its own harness as you know and once the wiring is done for 100% all the time then it works on the parking light mode.

There's about 2-3 ways of wiring the lights. I personally do the 4 wire moved around method. With that one. Parking light mode= LED 100% or Head Light mode= LED 100% and headlight On. I don't touch the fuse box or non of that stuff
Old 08-13-13, 04:37 AM
ICU2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iRyan
There's about 2-3 ways of wiring the lights. I personally do the 4 wire moved around method. With that one. Parking light mode= LED 100% or Head Light mode= LED 100% and headlight On. I don't touch the fuse box or non of that stuff
So with that method you just move the wiring around - there's no need to splice any wires? That's what I originally wanted.

Does the DRL stay on in Auto mode or do you have to turn parking light mode on all the time?
Old 08-13-13, 04:43 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Me Neither. My HIDs are just fine the way they are

Lou
Originally Posted by biiishplz
I'm glad somebody else feels the same way I do. I miss that feature every time I climb in someone else's car that lacks AFS. I do absolutely love the black housing aesthetic of the LED units, so I may be opening up my headlights soon and blackening them, just like my soul...
Originally Posted by jdmSW20
i would honestly say i want the look of the 2012 headlights but ill miss the functionality of the AFS headlights. But im sure once i get the LED healights, ill forget all about AFS then lol

Who needs AFS when u got kool LED lights lol....I live in FL no hills just highways n lit roads so I guess that y 90% of the modders down here upgraded..I personally never saw the difference with the AFS feature coming from my 2nd Gen GS300 or 1st Gen SC300 to the IS250
Old 08-13-13, 04:48 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ICU2
So with that method you just move the wiring around - there's no need to splice any wires? That's what I originally wanted.

Does the DRL stay on in Auto mode or do you have to turn parking light mode on all the time?
I literally only have to move 4 wires around. TBH I never tried Auto bec i don't really like that mode...i leave mine on parking light mode because when i shut the car off everything turns off as well
Old 08-13-13, 04:51 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Who needs AFS when u got kool LED lights lol....I live in FL no hills just highways n lit roads so I guess that y 90% of the modders down here upgraded..I personally never saw the difference with the AFS feature coming from my 2nd Gen GS300 or 1st Gen SC300 to the IS250
I agree. I could care less for AFS when I have those LEDs

I literally only have to move 4 wires around. TBH I never tried Auto bec i don't really like that mode...i leave mine on parking light mode because when i shut the car off everything turns off as well
Yup, I do the same thing.
Old 08-13-13, 05:33 AM
ICU2
Pole Position

Schweet! You've all convinced me to get them - just have to try negotiating with this seller still and doing a bit more research.

I don't want to buy them and end up with a different wiring plugs like the JDM lights :x

Ps. I keep reading people saying you need new headlight covers because the old ones won't fit while others said they re-used their old covers, what's up with that?

Quick Reply: 2012 Headlights - Is it worth the upgrade?