IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DDM TUNNING HID KIT question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-13, 05:42 PM
VIPIs350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DDM TUNNING HID KIT question

I'm looking to buy some HIDS, I was looking into the DDM tuning. At their website I was at checkout and it asked if I want mounting brackets, HID harness, error eliminator, adaptor cables. Its extra for each so I don't want to spend extra money on something I won't need. What do I really need? Can I just buy the KIT just like that and work fine? Thanks.
Old 08-08-13, 05:59 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

forget about that garbage and grab some morimoto 3five kits from TRS
Old 08-08-13, 06:28 PM
ImportISF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a brand new 6k HID kit from them for our fog lights for sale if you are interested, bought them to replace the yellow stock fogs but ended up liking them & never installed it.
Old 08-08-13, 06:37 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't buy from ddm

You get what you pay for
Old 08-08-13, 06:38 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

You only need the bulbs + ballasts
Old 08-08-13, 07:48 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

I have been running DDM kits in both my headlights and fogs (although I am using Philips D4S bulbs in the headlights) for well over three years with zero problems.

Well, actually there was one problem. The summer heat recently melted my HID harness and I had to get a replacement.

I would get the HID harness for peace of mind, but not the other junk.

HID kits really are pretty much the same - Most are likely made int he same couple of factories in Asia and later rebranded. I have used many and have yet to see any substantial substance to any claims to their various marketing gimmicks. "FULLY ELECTRONIC!" "VOLTAGE REGULATORS" etc etc... I have also yet to see anybody say that a poorly constructed HID kit caused some kind of epic car breakdown or malfunction
Old 08-08-13, 08:03 PM
ImportISF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had DDM Tuning's HID kit on my old E46 & never had any issues? It was recommended by a whole lot of E46er's at the time, it is why I went back to them to buy there kit for my IS350, but never got to installing it. It was also backed by a lifetime warranty
Old 08-08-13, 08:19 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol right d4s bulbs in an aftermarket hid kit
Old 08-08-13, 08:47 PM
VIPIs350
Driver School Candidate

I read In one of the threads that the size is H11-55W . So I have to get the 55W not the 35W? Why do some people still get the 35W? Sorry for my noob questions.
Old 08-08-13, 09:13 PM
DFig619
Driver

Originally Posted by VIPIs350
I read In one of the threads that the size is H11-55W . So I have to get the 55W not the 35W? Why do some people still get the 35W? Sorry for my noob questions.
Might be getting it confused with the D4S. You should be putting Hugh quality 35w for your lows if you have an OEM ballast. Otherwise you run the risk of melting your plugs.

For fogs I'm running the 55w full kit from DDM and no issues there.
Old 08-08-13, 09:17 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

DDM fogs running 4+ years no problem. Pretty satisfied with the product and worth giving it a shot.
Old 08-09-13, 12:30 PM
ApexiIS250
Driver School Candidate

DDM HID Kit for Head lights and fogs running for 7 years. Only had to change out the bulbs once. Other than that, no issues.

IL
Old 08-09-13, 01:36 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

ive had ddm tuning for a while now, no issue...thank goodnes they have a retail store in hunting beach...you can order by phone and pick it up if they have it in stock, Instead of waiting for shipping....
Old 08-09-13, 01:45 PM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VIPIs350
I'm looking to buy some HIDS, I was looking into the DDM tuning. At their website I was at checkout and it asked if I want mounting brackets, HID harness, error eliminator, adaptor cables. Its extra for each so I don't want to spend extra money on something I won't need. What do I really need? Can I just buy the KIT just like that and work fine? Thanks.
Don't believe everything you hear. I have been running DDM HID lights for 10 years with all my cars without a problem. Some of the people are so naive that they call things like the DDM tuning brands garbage when DDM gets their HIDs from China just like every other manufacturer besides Phillips. DDM Tuning really has good quality HIDs, they are not the best or even close to it (Phillips) but if you can't afford Phillips then don't worry where you get them, they are practically all made in CHINA. Just pay attention to who really makes the product and not who stamp or puts their sticker on them and you will see exactly what I mean.

You don't have to buy any of the extra stuff just get the kit, some zip ties or double sided tape and you should be fine. Its a plug and play kit so you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I am running 3k 35Watt on my fogs right now.
Old 08-09-13, 02:02 PM
dong888
Pole Position

I had DDM tuning kit (ballast the bulb only, nothing extra) and the ballast failed within 2 years. The light output is actually nice when it worked. It's brighter than the curren 3five morrimoto kit from TRS, but maybe that's why it failed early?

The bottom line is DDM tuning could be hit or miss. Their price point is unbeatable. The question you ask yourself now is whether you have a lot of time. If the time of changing the kit is no problem to you, you can go with DDM tuning which costed me $40 for the kit. If it fails, buy another set. My Morrimoto kit costed $120 after discount and comes with 5 year warranty. Customer service from TRS is superb. Customer service from DDM is non-existant. Don't bother with the life-time warranty. They don't answer to you.

If DDM cost $40 for 2 years, then $120 can buy 3 kits and last for 6 years which beats TRS 3five kit.

For me, time is more important so I opted for a more reliable kit from TRS. It took me 2 hours to install DDM kit and 6 hours to install 3Five kit. 3Five kit has a relay system which takes more time, but makes ballast last longer. IS350 is very tight in the engine bay so installation without removing the bumper could be more difficult.

Quick Reply: DDM TUNNING HID KIT question