IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car Jerking

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-13, 10:32 PM
Asianboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Jerking

My Car jerks while slowly accelerating and it jerks when i brake. Anyone know why that happens?
Old 07-24-13, 11:36 PM
drewster12
Rookie

Mine does the same. I have a suspicion it is the transmission. Take notice that when it jerks, your RPM drops quickly.
Old 07-25-13, 04:46 AM
balanced
Driver

Mine stopped doing that after I had the Lexus dealershp do a complete flush and fill of the transmission.
Old 07-25-13, 10:32 AM
drewster12
Rookie

There is no such thing as a complete flush and fill of the transmission. It's a sealed system. If it was doable, I would have done so already.
Old 07-25-13, 10:51 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Try resetting the ecu (disconnecting battery) to force it to re-learn your driving style.

Do you normally use the "PWR" mode or normal while driving? Have you used the "PWR" mode lately?
Old 07-25-13, 11:52 AM
Asianboy
Driver School Candidate

I've always driven it on normal mode
Old 07-25-13, 12:14 PM
vapid2323
Pole Position

Originally Posted by drewster12
There is no such thing as a complete flush and fill of the transmission. It's a sealed system. If it was doable, I would have done so already.
Yes there is, but it requires some custom equipment. Do some searching I know the thread is hanging around.
Old 07-25-13, 03:54 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its doable.. just not an DIY. dealers usually hook up a flushing machine to the transmission lines and run it to flush it
Old 07-25-13, 06:20 PM
ImportISF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How much would the dealer charge to do a transmission flush?
Old 07-25-13, 07:04 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepy415
How much would the dealer charge to do a transmission flush?
way too much. probably like 1 hour of the labor rate + at least 15 quarts of WS ATF, that ATF is freakin expensive too
Old 07-25-13, 08:51 PM
Tarrant64
Pole Position

Maybe 100-150 for a flush. Depends on where you live. I think when I had men done a few years go it was less than 150.

Check the fluid first. If its pinkish it should be ok I would think. If is a darker, maybe oil or murky color time for a flush. I don't know if there is a recommends mileage for our cars though. Also that price quote I have was for a corolla. Could be 200 for a premium car.

Last edited by Tarrant64; 07-25-13 at 09:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-25-13, 09:00 PM
eddiekay
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doh! my mind was in the gutter when i read the title
Old 07-26-13, 04:45 AM
balanced
Driver

I dont mind people being wrong....but when it's forcefully wrong, you just lose credibilty. A totally sealed system, mean they would have had to miricle the fluid in to start with (unless you think maybe they filled up the trans and then welded it closed. The previous poster is correct it takes a special nipple for the flush machine.

Most flush machines run fluid into the line from the radiator going to the transmission. Since the coolent goes from the rad into the trans to cool the fluid (instead of the trans fluid going into the rad as on most cars) you have to plug the line an run the on the outside of the hose into the transmission. .... If that makes sense.

Anyway, it was around $200 and the Lexus dealer that did it stated they had to use about 18-20 qts to get all of the old fluid out. Seems like a good deal, based on the cost of the fluid per gallon.
Old 07-26-13, 01:01 PM
drewster12
Rookie

Originally Posted by balanced
I dont mind people being wrong....but when it's forcefully wrong, you just lose credibilty. A totally sealed system, mean they would have had to miricle the fluid in to start with (unless you think maybe they filled up the trans and then welded it closed. The previous poster is correct it takes a special nipple for the flush machine.

Most flush machines run fluid into the line from the radiator going to the transmission. Since the coolent goes from the rad into the trans to cool the fluid (instead of the trans fluid going into the rad as on most cars) you have to plug the line an run the on the outside of the hose into the transmission. .... If that makes sense.

Anyway, it was around $200 and the Lexus dealer that did it stated they had to use about 18-20 qts to get all of the old fluid out. Seems like a good deal, based on the cost of the fluid per gallon.
Call it what you want, "forecefully wrong", but you yourself act like you also know what you are talking about. Where did I say this was completely welded? Check out the numerous threads about this topic. Don't be an *** and make assumptions.
Old 07-26-13, 01:04 PM
drewster12
Rookie

Originally Posted by balanced

Here is another idea. Why don't you drill a hole into it and drain and flush it. People like you make the experience on these types of forums very draining.

Quick Reply: Car Jerking