IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Do you think there's any way this can look good?

Old 07-16-13, 09:56 AM
clynnh1230
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you think there's any way this can look good?

Ok, I'm posting this on behalf of my girlfriend's ride (07 SGM is250 awd) that I will be lowering soon and putting some wheels on. I have some other wheels to replace the ones shown on my ride below. They are Work 11r's 17x8 + 35 and will have 225/45 tires put on them. I'd really like to keep those wheels but if there's no way they will work on the is250 then I guess they'll have to go.

It looks like most people go 19's, some 18" and some 20". I know it's a pretty big car with some pretty big wheel wells to go with it. This is my girls ride and she definitely needs some comfort. I guess from what I read the only way to get some decent low (more than 1.5" or so) and still stay moderately comfortable is get coils? Megan EZ's seem to be a popular, and cost effective choice. Springs are obviously a lot more of a cost effective option. I've had S Techs before and thought they could be a good choice and likely match spring rates somewhat well, just wondering if I'll be satisfied with the drop afterward.

So! Do you think the 17's could look good? And if so, what do you suggest to lower it on? (comfort most important, decent low second (hopefully at least 2"). Performance doesn't matter as long as it's safe.

Thanks!

Old 07-16-13, 10:04 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

17s would look too small IMO. I think 19s and 20s look the best on our cars.

If your main concern is comfort, avoid springs and get a set of coilovers. The EZs are great but if you can afford the extra cash, the BCs are better. Both good options though
Old 07-16-13, 10:05 AM
RVCAis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally, no I don't think 17s can work on an IS250. I have seen it attempted and it just looks off. I'd go with 18s if you are trying to keep the same comfort but really comfort depends on tire size. So get a nice, conservative offset, 18" setup and don't stretch the tires. Get either a 35 or 40 profile depending on the size of the rim.

And if you do end up taking the risk and getting springs then go with road magnets. They provide a 2" drop all around.
Old 07-16-13, 12:41 PM
clynnh1230
Driver School Candidate

Great info guys really appreciate it. Yea I figured 17's would just be too small for this car. I may go ahead and put the suspension on and see what they look like anyway, if for sheer curiosity than nothing else.
Old 07-16-13, 01:40 PM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no sell it keep the money and buy 18s or higher. Personally I like 18s but I am performance minded so anything more than that on these low profile tires are going to curb or damage it. especially if you are looking into comfort.
Old 07-16-13, 02:13 PM
Crispy
Pole Position

+1 sell 'em.

17x8 will look like training wheels on the IS
Old 07-17-13, 07:09 AM
clynnh1230
Driver School Candidate

Yea I'd definitely go 18's if I sell these... I just hate to do it cuz I like em so much.

It looks like the Megans are about $700 and the BC's $1000, probably worth the extra cash. I just think it's strange I'm being told coilovers are more comfortable than springs. I always thought coils would be more rough. Is it because the spring rates of lowering springs are too high for the stock shocks?
Old 07-17-13, 07:14 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by clynnh1230
Yea I'd definitely go 18's if I sell these... I just hate to do it cuz I like em so much.

It looks like the Megans are about $700 and the BC's $1000, probably worth the extra cash. I just think it's strange I'm being told coilovers are more comfortable than springs. I always thought coils would be more rough. Is it because the spring rates of lowering springs are too high for the stock shocks?
It's mainly because you cannot adjust the ride quality with a spring + shock combo, your stuck with however the ride feels. Coils allow you to adjust the ride to soft or stiff. The Megan EZs are 15 way adjustable and the BCs are 30 (or 32? I'm not 100% sure).
Old 07-17-13, 07:56 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Go for the BCs. I recently got them for my AWD 250, but I opted for the Swift spring upgrade. The car rides great! Not bouncy at all and behaves close to OEM in regard to soaking up bumps and what not.. its much more "refined" now. FTR, I'm on staggered 19s with 235/35 up front and 275/30 rear, lowered to one finger gap. I do rub up front on the bigger dips, but that's all. Haven't changed the stock damper settings from the BCs either
Old 07-17-13, 01:13 PM
clynnh1230
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Go for the BCs. I recently got them for my AWD 250, but I opted for the Swift spring upgrade. The car rides great! Not bouncy at all and behaves close to OEM in regard to soaking up bumps and what not.. its much more "refined" now. FTR, I'm on staggered 19s with 235/35 up front and 275/30 rear, lowered to one finger gap. I do rub up front on the bigger dips, but that's all. Haven't changed the stock damper settings from the BCs either
BC's would definitely be ideal. Bust out another thousand =/

Nice tire size, you still have same diameter all around. How much are you lowered on the BC's?
Old 07-17-13, 01:33 PM
tedward88
Pole Position

17s wont look good even if they are work 11r.

I had 17 stockers on my car when I was lowered on Megan EZ. Very comfortable, very close to stock. With all the extra tires from the sidewall, a little less comfortable now that I'm on 19s.

Lowering the car will create vibration on the IS250 AWD for anything lower than 25" from the ground to fender.

Also, keep in mind the stock car naturally has camber and will camber out more when lowered and eat the crap out of the tires, so be prepared to buy camber kits or buy new tires every 10k or so (or flip the tires from left to right vice versa if the tires you choose doesn't have a specific outside and inside).

Good luck!
Old 07-17-13, 02:03 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by clynnh1230
BC's would definitely be ideal. Bust out another thousand =/

Nice tire size, you still have same diameter all around. How much are you lowered on the BC's?
Well worth it in my opinion

Yes it took a bit of searching to get the right sizes down. I found all the info in the two AWD wheel and tire fitment threads here on CL. I believe right now I'm sitting 25.25" from the top of the fender arch to the ground.

There's maybe half a finger gap in the rear and about a finger up front.
Old 07-17-13, 02:13 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by tedward88
17s wont look good even if they are work 11r.

I had 17 stockers on my car when I was lowered on Megan EZ. Very comfortable, very close to stock. With all the extra tires from the sidewall, a little less comfortable now that I'm on 19s.

Lowering the car will create vibration on the IS250 AWD for anything lower than 25" from the ground to fender.

Also, keep in mind the stock car naturally has camber and will camber out more when lowered and eat the crap out of the tires, so be prepared to buy camber kits or buy new tires every 10k or so (or flip the tires from left to right vice versa if the tires you choose doesn't have a specific outside and inside).

Good luck!
Stay tuned for this coming December when I swap my summer 19s for my winter 16s LOL.. I'm going to see how it is without raising the car from the height it's at now.

Also I had my car at 25.5" and I was getting vibration, although it was very minor. The girlfriend has driven the car and she doesn't even notice it.

x2 on the natural camber, after lowering the car I immediately took it to get aligned, and the natural camber was at about -2.5 degrees all around. I was able to get the camber to about -2 up front and -1.5 in the rear with the OEM components. Camber is not as important as toe though (provided your camber isn't ridiculously out of spec, like -4 degrees for example). Excessive toe that is out of spec will drastically reduce your tread life. With the OEM components I was still able to get close to 0 degrees of toe.
Old 07-17-13, 02:44 PM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Way too small, 18s the smallest and 20s the biggest....
Old 07-17-13, 04:51 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

technically it IS an option that's listed in the 2IS owners manual... It's in the "Vehicle Specifications" section. Page 391

"Type C" 17x8 225/45/17. Im assuming that type is for the AWD, which the OPs gf has.

the AWD 2IS comes with 17s that are same width all around, the RWD 2IS has the staggered wheel option.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you think there's any way this can look good?