How can you tell if wheels have TMPS

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-13, 09:56 AM
jvmagic
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How can you tell if wheels have TMPS

Hi,

How can I tell if some used wheels I purchased (09' 18" wheels; sports pkg) come w/ TMPS?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-16-13, 10:40 AM
vapid2323
Pole Position

Well if the car is not flipping out because it can't find them that would be a good indication you have them. I f you really want to test I suppose you can stop by a gas station and deflate a tire slightly, I am not sure if it will pick up on it without driving but thats my thought.

If they are not on the car then the only way to check AFAIK is to remove the tire.
Old 07-16-13, 11:21 AM
jvmagic
Rookie

Originally Posted by vapid2323
Well if the car is not flipping out because it can't find them that would be a good indication you have them. I f you really want to test I suppose you can stop by a gas station and deflate a tire slightly, I am not sure if it will pick up on it without driving but thats my thought.

If they are not on the car then the only way to check AFAIK is to remove the tire.
I forgot to mention that my car did not come w/ these in the first place....so if this other set of wheels do have them how can I know?
Old 07-16-13, 11:37 AM
vapid2323
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jvmagic
I forgot to mention that my car did not come w/ these in the first place....so if this other set of wheels do have them how can I know?
If thats the case you will need to have a dealer set them to your car, not sure how its done. At that point they can also confirm if you even have them.

Its odd, I have never known an IS to, not have TPMS. Normally people have to put them in some sort of pressure cylinder otherwise they get master alarms as soon as they drive off. I am not sure if the dealers can turn off the alarm or not.
Old 07-16-13, 11:39 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

just because a set of wheels have TPMS sensors does not mean that your 2is will automatically detect them. the TPMS sensors have to be read and recognized by the TPMS system, and in order for that to happen the sensors need to be programmed to the system. TPMS sensors NOT programmed to the TPMS system will not be read and recognized by the TPMS system.

having said that...

(image courtesy of discount tire direct)

though not definitive, if you can see the retaining nut (see image above) sticking out from the wheel, chances are likely that said wheel has a TPMS sensor installed. the reason why it would not be a definitive answer is because the wheel could have an incompatible TPMS sensor installed (usually unlikely, but stranger things could happen).

the only true method of finding out if a TPMS sensor is installed in the wheel or not is to remove the tire to expose the outer barrel.

if you're interested in a set of TPMS sensors for your ISx50, let me know; I have a set for sale in the wheels/tires classifieds...
Old 07-16-13, 11:41 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by vapid2323
If thats the case you will need to have a dealer set them to your car, not sure how its done. At that point they can also confirm if you even have them.

Its odd, I have never known an IS to, not have TPMS. Normally people have to put them in some sort of pressure cylinder otherwise they get master alarms as soon as they drive off. I am not sure if the dealers can turn off the alarm or not.
it comes as standard OEM equipment, but there are work-arounds - especially since the 2is has been populating the used car market for quite a while now.
Old 07-16-13, 11:46 AM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

To OP
To determine that you have TPMS or not, you could look for retaining nut. Most of seller took it off and transfer to new wheels.