IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlights suck!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-13, 02:01 PM
Gundown64
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Headlights suck!

I had my first late night drive with my 07 IS 350 last night and found out that basically my headlights suck and are borderline non-existent in terms out light output. Thankfully, the fogs worked, which helped some, and I was also able to follow behind other cars because the light output of the headlights literally do not reach more than 15-20 feet. The high beams also do absolutely nothing. They turn on, but again, they suck. Upon further inspection I have determined the possible causes. For one, the headlight bulbs seem to be aftermarket. The ballast say "Kensun" on them. A quick Google search brings up a poorly made website selling obviously crappy quality HIDs. That could potentially be the reason for lack of output I suppose? Also, the headlight lenses are yellowed some and not in the best shape (see pictures below). Not sure how bad it affects the clarity and output, but it obviously affects it some. Lastly, the high beam bulb? is simply an LED bulb. Is that the standard and/or optimal choice?

Basically, I need to know what my problem is and how to fix it. I figured I definitely need to replace the bulbs. Probably go with Retrofit Source for those? What else needs to be done?

Thanks guys!

The yellowing is worse in person.

Old 07-13-13, 02:13 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

The yellowing shouldn't reduce much light output -- if any at all. My headlights are much worst than that, and the light output is fine. Does your car come with HID factory? I don't have HID so, I'm not 100% sure, but high beams are not suppose to be LEDs, some people made that mod to make the DRL look better since high beam is not needed most of the time. My high beams are halogen and works very good.
Old 07-13-13, 04:07 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Since you have the LEDs there high beams won't work. And yes you most likely need new ballasts and bulbs, because from what I heard Kensun sucks. Just buy yourself some stock ballasts and bulbs and that's it.
Old 07-13-13, 06:34 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try getting your lenses buffed/polished. That should help out quite a bit in terms of visible light output (driver's perspective).

I can't say anything about what aftermarket changes might have been made to your car, but I went from feeling sheepish about how bright my headlights were back in '07 (mine is an '07 too) to slowly thinking my headlights were weak until I had them cleaned up. I think mine were more yellow than yours are though.
Old 07-13-13, 06:43 PM
Fuzzie
Lead Lap

people put the LED bulb there for the DRL. with the led bulb there, high beam wont function.

also, the crappy light output is from the bulb. just change that HID bulb out for 5k-8k from either theretrofitsource.com, xenon depot, or nigeljdmparts.
Old 07-13-13, 07:28 PM
Gundown64
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input so far guys. I guess I should have mentioned that the car is used as well. I guess the best thing to do now is replace the bulbs. Which bulb type is the one inside the projector? 9005 or DS4? 9005, right? If so, I guess something like this is fine: http://www.kbcarstuff.com/9005-HB3-X...-p/xt-9005.htm

EDIT: Crap! Or is it 9006? I guess I'm not quite sure what bulb type goes where. Anyone care to clear that up?

Last edited by Gundown64; 07-13-13 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-13-13, 08:04 PM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gundown64
Thanks for the input so far guys. I guess I should have mentioned that the car is used as well. I guess the best thing to do now is replace the bulbs. Which bulb type is the one inside the projector? 9005 or DS4? 9005, right? If so, I guess something like this is fine: http://www.kbcarstuff.com/9005-HB3-X...-p/xt-9005.htm

EDIT: Crap! Or is it 9006? I guess I'm not quite sure what bulb type goes where. Anyone care to clear that up?
It's D4S for Factory HID, definitely go with stock if you want maximum light output. Philips 4300k D4S. LED DRL is really for look rather than light output so you might want to go back to halogen bulbs, and go 3000k fog light or upgrade to HID fog for more light output.

DRL is 9005
Fog is 9006
Old 07-13-13, 08:56 PM
jarand
Driver School Candidate

3M also makes a headlight restoration kit that works really well (depending on how much your lights are yellowed) and you can do it yourself for $20. Takes a little bit of time to do it right though.
Old 07-14-13, 06:05 AM
Gundown64
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jimjaix
It's D4S for Factory HID, definitely go with stock if you want maximum light output. Philips 4300k D4S. LED DRL is really for look rather than light output so you might want to go back to halogen bulbs, and go 3000k fog light or upgrade to HID fog for more light output.

DRL is 9005
Fog is 9006
Ah ok, thanks. Do I need a balast for that? I mean, there is already a balast for each headlight in the car now, but I'm not sure if that is for the same thing and/or if I should replace it anyway.
Old 07-14-13, 06:23 AM
magnuscat
Rookie

Ah ok, thanks. Do I need a balast for that? I mean, there is already a balast for each headlight in the car now, but I'm not sure if that is for the same thing and/or if I should replace it anyway.
If this was an original HID unit from the factory where somebody just replaced the bulbs with a crappy offbrand, then you can probably just replace the bulbs. If it was a conversion to HID then they may have used a crappy balast as well. You can probably just buy the better bulbs and see how well that works. Based on what you describe the balasts appear to be working.
Old 07-14-13, 06:28 AM
Fuzzie
Lead Lap

for the low beams:

-if it is HID ready, the ballast is inside the headlight, then all you need is a pair of d4s H11 bulbs. that means there are no ballasts coming out of those plastic covers. 4.3k(stock) - 8k for best light output till it turns too blue.
-if there are ballasts coming out of those covers, , then you will need to buy a new kit (bulb and Ballast). H11 HID KIT.

for the DRL/Highbeams:

-if you dont care about the highbeam function, leave the LED bulb there for looks.
-if you need the highbeam function, than you gonna need to take those LED bulbs out and replace with 9005 halogen bulbs.

it is also possible that you are currently using a halogen bulb, which isnt HID.

Last edited by Fuzzie; 07-14-13 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-14-13, 07:25 AM
Gundown64
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fuzzie
for the low beams:

-if it is HID ready, the ballast is inside the headlight, then all you need is a pair of d4s H11 bulbs. that means there are no ballasts coming out of those plastic covers. 4.3k(stock) - 8k for best light output till it turns too blue.
-if there are ballasts coming out of those covers, , then you will need to buy a new kit (bulb and Ballast). H11 HID KIT.

for the DRL/Highbeams:

-if you dont care about the highbeam function, leave the LED bulb there for looks.
-if you need the highbeam function, than you gonna need to take those LED bulbs out and replace with 9005 halogen bulbs.

it is also possible that you are currently using a halogen bulb, which isnt HID.
Ok, thank you. That clears up a lot. I do know that my car does not have HIDs stock as it has no AFS option. That would explain why the ballast is on the outside of the headlight which would mean that what is in there currently is simply a HID conversion kit? If so, this means I need to get a new H11 kit with bulbs and balasts. Something like this?: http://www.kbcarstuff.com/H11-Xtreme...-p/xtp-h11.htm

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 07-14-13, 01:20 PM
topspeed55
Driver

Ok, thank you. That clears up a lot. I do know that my car does not have HIDs stock as it has no AFS option. That would explain why the ballast is on the outside of the headlight which would mean that what is in there currently is simply a HID conversion kit? If so, this means I need to get a new H11 kit with bulbs and balasts. Something like this?: http://www.kbcarstuff.com/H11-Xtreme...-p/xtp-h11.htm

Thanks for the help guys!
Correct. Swap all that junk HID kit out and make sure you buy 4300K for the most white light and light output .
Old 07-14-13, 03:43 PM
Gundown64
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by topspeed55
Correct. Swap all that junk HID kit out and make sure you buy 4300K for the most white light and light output .
Sounds good, thanks!
Old 07-14-13, 08:12 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

buy a PNP kit from retrofit source for best quality all around! Or one of our vendors on this forum, and they'll sort it out for you gladly