IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lots of bad news from the stealership today!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-13, 02:34 PM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of bad news from the stealership today!

I was told my front brakes need work and they wanted to charge 582 for that but I told them I wanted to hold off. I can take it to my trusted mechanic and have it done. What parts exactly should I order for my 08 IS350 from sewell to get him the parts?

My exhaust clamps rotted and they asked for 75 to fix them which I said okay to...Is that normal occurrence?

My seat is squeaky and to fix it they asked for 195 which I think is BULL****! I said hell no I think I know what the problem is..

They also said my headlamp housing on the driver side was broken off of its tabs. They asked for 1335.12 for that and said that I hit something. Which I didn't and there is no damage on the bumper! What the hell are they on about?

They wanted 535 for installing a spoiler...said no to that as well. Can anyone direct me to the oem spoiler on Sewell so I can have my guy do that as well?

These dummies also asked for 98 to do my cabin filter which I changed before...I laughed in his face.

Any advice for me? I really want to get the headlamp housing fixed.
Old 07-11-13, 02:51 PM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

For the lights should I go with this?

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2008/4629.html

Does this have AFS? I don't want to lose my AFS. Would my car need to be modified in anyway to install this set?

Also what will I need from Sewell to change my spark plugs?

Last edited by Zinda; 07-11-13 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-11-13, 03:12 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

are you serious..i would call headquarters or something and file a complaint...non of those prices seem within 50% of what it should be..
Old 07-11-13, 03:29 PM
blitzdmkiv
Driver School Candidate

Those should be a direct replacement, I believe all the HIDs of that year came with AFS, the halogen did not
Old 07-11-13, 03:49 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

settle down guys...there are no specifics in this post, so don't be so quick to start a riot...plus labor rates in the northeast are inflated compared to other areas due to all the rust on vehicles there

OP, can you give us a more accurate description of what they are wanting to charge you for with a breakdown of parts and labor? That will help us help you...
Old 07-11-13, 04:30 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

funny how people call dealerships stealerships, yet they go to them in the first place.
Old 07-11-13, 04:34 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by panda08
funny how people call dealerships stealerships, yet they go to them in the first place.
Only for the free services and warranty issues here.
Old 07-11-13, 04:58 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by quick123
settle down guys...there are no specifics in this post, so don't be so quick to start a riot...plus labor rates in the northeast are inflated compared to other areas due to all the rust on vehicles there

OP, can you give us a more accurate description of what they are wanting to charge you for with a breakdown of parts and labor? That will help us help you...
I concur and noted how vague the description was of the recommended repairs. We have to know what parts they say had failed or were recommended for your brakes before telling you what parts to order. Good you manned up over the cabin filter and the squeaky seat. As for the exhaust "clamps", I've replaced my axle back and my mid pipes and never saw any clamps. Did they replace a hanger for the exhaust? Pull your estimate back out and give us some details.
Old 07-11-13, 06:16 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I have a broken upper passenger headlamp bracket from hitting a thick tree limb in the road. Not only that, it knocked the fender out of alignment too and caused a bubble on the newer BFG tire. The simple fix would be trying your hand at plastic welding...which is relatively easy. I have yet to remove my headlamp to be able to do this fix; but I imagine it's in the same area.
Old 07-11-13, 11:18 PM
350n350
Rookie

that's sounds about right for the brake. They quoted me $580 just for the front (pads, rotors, labor). So, I bought a set of rotors from Tirerack $300, and pads from Sewell for $100. Basically, I got both front and rear done for the same price for front brake service at the dealer.
Old 07-11-13, 11:23 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Zinda
I was told my front brakes need work and they wanted to charge 582 for that but I told them I wanted to hold off. I can take it to my trusted mechanic and have it done. What parts exactly should I order for my 08 IS350 from sewell to get him the parts?

My exhaust clamps rotted and they asked for 75 to fix them which I said okay to...Is that normal occurrence?

easily doable by yourself

My seat is squeaky and to fix it they asked for 195 which I think is BULL****! I said hell no I think I know what the problem is..

try greasing?

They also said my headlamp housing on the driver side was broken off of its tabs. They asked for 1335.12 for that and said that I hit something. Which I didn't and there is no damage on the bumper! What the hell are they on about?

open it up and take a look yourself to see if any tabs are broken.

They wanted 535 for installing a spoiler...said no to that as well. Can anyone direct me to the oem spoiler on Sewell so I can have my guy do that as well?

double sided tape, ebay

These dummies also asked for 98 to do my cabin filter which I changed before...I laughed in his face.

seems like they are trying to just scam you and get as much out of you as possible. new filter, DIY like 30 minutes

Any advice for me? I really want to get the headlamp housing fixed.
seems like all of these are minor problems that could be addressed if you would just get your hands dirty and get under the car and start looking for stuff.

the price on the headlight is for a brand new OEM headlight. they'd basically just replace it.
Old 07-12-13, 12:56 AM
Snyperifle
Pole Position

Lol...dealership suckered my dad to replace front pad + rotors for $980 back when he had the IS250
Old 07-12-13, 05:52 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 350n350
that's sounds about right for the brake. They quoted me $580 just for the front (pads, rotors, labor). So, I bought a set of rotors from Tirerack $300, and pads from Sewell for $100. Basically, I got both front and rear done for the same price for front brake service at the dealer.
With new rotors that's a very low cost from a Lexus dealer.
Old 07-12-13, 08:32 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Snyperifle
Lol...dealership suckered my dad to replace front pad + rotors for $980 back when he had the IS250
I am curious to see this invoice...
Old 08-02-13, 06:50 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Alright are these all the parts I would need to do all the front brake work myself?
Attached Thumbnails Lots of bad news from the stealership today!-parts-breaks.jpg  

Quick Reply: Lots of bad news from the stealership today!