IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Standar 350 vs. F Sport Steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-13, 08:16 AM
gbsjake
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standar 350 vs. F Sport Steering

Hello. Just joined. About to pull trigger on a '12 IS 350. A have a question that I could otherwise answer myself but am stationed in Germany and can not test drive. Can someone tell me whether the performance of an F Sport is significantly different than standard IS 350. Suspension wise, I've read that its basically the old sport package, but curious as to steering feel. I own a BMW 328I and have driven nothing but German cars, but I've always loved the IS 350 and am 95% certain to buy one and have it shipped. But, is the F Sport worth the cost? I am a sports sedan kinda dude who relishes corners and handling. I don't understand Car Magazines obsession with BMWs, though they are good. Love to hear anyone's informed opinion. Thanks.

Last edited by gbsjake; 07-04-13 at 11:39 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 07-04-13, 11:42 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

The F-Sport does have a different steering ECU. One thing most of the magazine reviews complained about back in ~'06 was the steering was too light and had no "feel", so the IS-F and F-sport both have different, stiffer calibration. See this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ering-ecu.html
Old 07-04-13, 11:44 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

slap on some coils and sways and it will handle better than your bmw
Old 07-04-13, 07:41 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by reyoasian
slap on some coils and sways and it will handle better than your bmw
Put coils on the BMW, handle better and get good road feed back
Old 07-05-13, 12:03 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

F-sport models basically get you the F-sport mods you can purchase online from many vendors. Example, F-sport sway bars, springs and maybe shocks, F-sport badging, and the F-sport model steering ecu.
Old 07-05-13, 01:36 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
F-sport models basically get you the F-sport mods you can purchase online from many vendors. Example, F-sport sway bars, springs and maybe shocks, F-sport badging, and the F-sport model steering ecu.
F Sports don't come with any of that you mentioned.
Old 07-05-13, 02:21 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 406 Posts

F-Sport models don't come with any of the F-Sport accessories, and the F-Sport accessories are not the same as any of the factory F-Sport parts.

Jeff
Old 07-06-13, 08:21 AM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

^You all have got to be shatting me! Then why the hell would anyone want an F-sport model then if it doesn't come with any of the F-sport accessories? Wow, I'm truly dumbfounded.
Old 07-06-13, 09:13 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

It still has different shocks, springs, sway bars, larger rear brakes (IS250), different suspension geometry (from IS-F), body parts, black headliner, seats with nicer bolstering, different wheels, rear spoiler, front lip, etc.

F-Sport parts are USA-made aftermarket accessories that Lexus sells through dealers, they are not factory parts. Factory F-Sport models have different parts from the factory. They're just not the same, but that doesn't mean that the F-Sport doesn't have different parts.

Jeff
Old 07-06-13, 10:53 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

^You all have got to be shatting me! Then why the hell would anyone want an F-sport model then if it doesn't come with any of the F-sport accessories? Wow, I'm truly dumbfounded.
that's what I said when I found that out a while ago. It's like having a BMW M with no M stuff on it but badges.
Old 07-06-13, 12:48 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

F-Sport factory is different from F-Sport Accessories. F-Sport at least on the CT and IS originally was just an appearance package. Slightly stiffer sways, shocks and springs vs the non F-Sport versions but its so marginal that it doesn't make a difference. Now the GS F-Sport really kicked it off with differentiation, and RX, IS, LS have all followed suit. But yes originally just an appearance package.
Old 07-06-13, 01:05 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Sffd103
that's what I said when I found that out a while ago. It's like having a BMW M with no M stuff on it but badges.
Yeah, BMW sells M-Sport cars like that.

Jeff
Old 07-06-13, 04:24 PM
gbsjake
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Yeah, BMW sells M-Sport cars like that.

Jeff
Well well all this bickering has me more confused. But sounds like there are some modest differences between the two models. I just wanted to know if the steering was different. Will i be happier than with my BMW? I guess i will have to buy one.
Old 07-06-13, 05:16 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Buying one without first driving it first is asking for trouble. A-lot of people prefer how a 3 series drives to how an IS drives. If you like how your 328 drives I'd be even more wary of buying the car before driving it. Honestly the only reason I didn't get a 335i is because I didn't want to take a chance on the reliability.
Old 07-06-13, 07:15 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The F-Sport accessories are the accessories you can buy later to put on them. I noticed it throws people off because the F-Sport accessories came out first way back in 2008 before they renamed the IS factory sport packages "F-Sport" so automatically people expected the IS F-Sport package vehicles to come with the accessories. It would be nice though if it came with the F-Sport accessory exhaust or something, which I've always wanted.

But yeah like Hoovey said, the current generation F-Sport package models in the Lexus lineup come with way more differences than just exterior cosmetics.

Quick Reply: Standar 350 vs. F Sport Steering