IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How to value my car

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-13, 04:19 AM
SpecLexus
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How to value my car

So here's my dilemma...(This is not a feeler, I'm looking for advice)

I'm looking to sell my 2009 Lexus IS350 in pristine condition with only 36,000 miles and NEVER an accident in the Dallas area purchased from Sewell brand new May 2009. I also have the extended warranty for 3 year which expires May 2016 (3 years from now)
The specs of the car are:
- Premium Pkg, Brand new tires.
- Nav, Bluetooth, backup camera, spoiler...etc...about upper trim without the Mark Levinson.

I can market this as a Private owned car with a factory extended warranty. In my opinion it would be worth at a slight discount to the factory CPO cars (I'd estimate 5%) simply because it's from a private sale w/car fax report and service report. KBB says 28,615 for very good condition, which is 1 level below excellent.

If you were buying a used IS350, how would you price this vehicle and how should I market it? From your experiences, how long has it taken you to sell your car? Thanks guys!

Last edited by SpecLexus; 06-24-13 at 04:32 AM.
Old 06-24-13, 05:34 AM
SpecLexus
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

FYI: Carmax is offering $24,000. What a rip off!!!
Old 06-24-13, 06:27 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpecLexus
I dont know why you say it is such a rip off and its surprising. Carfax is like the autotrader instant quote thing where they will buy you car without you buying anything from them. It is usually a little less than normal trade in values because you cant really haggle it and get some more money for it, along with the dealer wont be making money on you from you buying a new car.

$28k seems like a good sell value for you, but I might list or ask 29 or 30 so you have some wiggle room to still be able to get your 28k settle for price.
Old 06-24-13, 06:48 AM
2008GT500
Driver School Candidate

Honestly, the KBB values are inflated. It's possible that you will find the right buyer, but you'll probably be waiting quite a while. There is a similar car for sale at a dealer for $27k, and you know they have room to move.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=2&Log=0

Dealers give people the warm and fuzzies too, because people think if they have a problem, the dealer will make it right. If I had to guess, I'd say you'd need to list the car at $26,500 and expect to be haggled with into the 25s. If you're buying something new, and trade it in, you will likely do better thanks to the tax savings, and save yourself a lot of time and hassle from dealing with the idiots out there. If you're not replacing it with anything, Carmax is an easy out, but you could definitely do better selling it on your own. It just depends how much you value your time.
Old 06-24-13, 06:54 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2008GT500
Honestly, the KBB values are inflated. It's possible that you will find the right buyer, but you'll probably be waiting quite a while. There is a similar car for sale at a dealer for $27k, and you know they have room to move.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=2&Log=0

Dealers give people the warm and fuzzies too, because people think if they have a problem, the dealer will make it right. If I had to guess, I'd say you'd need to list the car at $26,500 and expect to be haggled with into the 25s. If you're buying something new, and trade it in, you will likely do better thanks to the tax savings, and save yourself a lot of time and hassle from dealing with the idiots out there. If you're not replacing it with anything, Carmax is an easy out, but you could definitely do better selling it on your own. It just depends how much you value your time.

That listed one doesnt have CPO or Factory extended warranty listed. OP will get a little more for that, thats why I suggested 28k.
Old 06-24-13, 07:26 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SpecLexus
It's not a ripoff. That is what they will pay for your car in cash, today. Then they have to clean it up, inventory it and resell or trade it. You aren't going to get a retail price in that environment. You can always get more money selling it yourself, but that takes work. Your choice.
Old 06-24-13, 07:32 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most new dealerships as well as banks use NADA because KBB and carmax dont reflect daily market value as much anymore. (as in a car is worth 28k today but tomorrow can be 27.8k). If you put it up for sale online as private party, always add 2-3k more than what you WANT for the car because people are gonna come out and think they got a good deal off of you. Plus you usually end up getting more than you expected from the car. When i sold my honda, I got 1000 more than i orignally expected to get and still sold it for a fair price.

PS word of advice, ALWAYS EXPECT TO GET FAIR MARKET VALUE OF THE CAR... if your selling the car privately, you will almost never get the Excellent/ Very Good price. at least from my experience.
Old 06-24-13, 08:41 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

I think the best way to value your car is to get on autotrader and search for the vehicle exactly like yours from both dealer and private party in a 300-500 miles range and you'll make an idea. it doesn;t make any sense to price it according to KBB if they are 5 cars just like yours in your area with lower prices. The buyers are gonna target those before yours. I got mine from private party as I never go to dealers to buy cars, it's a rip off but you need to have patience and get good photos and keep your car in pristine shape when you show it.