IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Left front Shock failure within a year.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-13, 07:14 PM
bmaez
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left front Shock failure within a year.

I bought my car new around October 2011 and by Aug 2012 I was getting a clunking sound on the front left going over speed bumps and road holes. Made in appointment in Aug but I was unable to bring it in. I finally brought the car in today to find out that the front left shock is bad/leaking which is causing the noise.

I'm a little disappointed with the Lexus quality but the service is good and my loaner is a GS . The shock isn't due in until Friday so I just wanted to ask if anyone else had issues with their suspension and is there anything I need to look at when picking it up.

Do they need to do an alignment?

Also, seen the 14 IS 250 at the dealer ship and its a great looking car but the interior seemed plasticky.

AWD 350

Thanks

Last edited by bmaez; 06-20-13 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-19-13, 07:49 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you bought the car used, then there is no way you could have known what condition the car was in before. Could have been on its way out until you got the car. I doubt the car brand new would have had such a bad strut unless you hit something so hard that could damage the shock
Old 06-20-13, 10:03 AM
bmaez
Driver

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
if you bought the car used, then there is no way you could have known what condition the car was in before. Could have been on its way out until you got the car. I doubt the car brand new would have had such a bad strut unless you hit something so hard that could damage the shock
2011 350 AWD bought in Oct 2011 from the dealer, new. The car did have about 25 miles on it when I bought it so I suppose someone could have hit something but I'm pretty sure I didn't. I do understant that there's a percentage of faulty equipment that makes it through the production process its just that this one made it onto the front left side of my car.
Old 06-20-13, 03:55 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Unfortunately shocks are a wear item that can prematurely fail; and you really cannot blame Lexus, blame Tokico as I believe they were their source for the shocks on that model.

Did the dealership charge you for the replacement and labor? Did they recommend doing both fronts at the same time?
Old 06-20-13, 07:19 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tokico

yeah, we had our IS350 about 9 months and the rear shocks gave up at about 6500 miles. One was leaking oil, the other was marginal.
They replaced them warranty ( still a hassle to convince the dealer) and those lasted to about 37500 miles and the rear driver side is leaking oil right now ! (not even the daily driver car )
So two weeks before a 2k mile trip to Canadian Maritime provinces, I have my rear wheels off and getting new Michelins put on and I look at the shock on the driver side is caked with black oil soaked dirt. I'm in scramble to find two shocks and try to replace them myself.
Annoyed.
I think the Tokico were marginal, Lexus should have spec'd them a good bit more heavy duty. Going to try either the new KYB shocks or the ISF ones since they are Bilstein.
I have KYB Monomax on my Jeep and they are rock solid, so I am not afraid trying them, I know KYB makes quality.
Front shocks seam to be fine. Luck of the draw with Tokico I think.
Have a good one !
Old 06-20-13, 08:01 PM
bmaez
Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
Unfortunately shocks are a wear item that can prematurely fail; and you really cannot blame Lexus, blame Tokico as I believe they were their source for the shocks on that model.

Did the dealership charge you for the replacement and labor? Did they recommend doing both fronts at the same time?
They're replacing the shock under warranty. I don't really think I'm blaming Lexus or Tokico but I can say that of all the car's I've owned this is the first time this has ever happened and the first Lexus I've owned.

According to the dealer this is the only problem shock.

Originally Posted by GreyHound
yeah, we had our IS350 about 9 months and the rear shocks gave up at about 6500 miles. One was leaking oil, the other was marginal.
They replaced them warranty ( still a hassle to convince the dealer) and those lasted to about 37500 miles and the rear driver side is leaking oil right now ! (not even the daily driver car )
So two weeks before a 2k mile trip to Canadian Maritime provinces, I have my rear wheels off and getting new Michelins put on and I look at the shock on the driver side is caked with black oil soaked dirt. I'm in scramble to find two shocks and try to replace them myself.
Annoyed.
I think the Tokico were marginal, Lexus should have spec'd them a good bit more heavy duty. Going to try either the new KYB shocks or the ISF ones since they are Bilstein.
I have KYB Monomax on my Jeep and they are rock solid, so I am not afraid trying them, I know KYB makes quality.
Front shocks seam to be fine. Luck of the draw with Tokico I think.
Have a good one !
That's unfortunate. Hopefully this isn't the beginning of a trend for this car.